Sponsored

2020+ base model wheel studs swap for carbon fiber wheels! (video)

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
My buddy and I swap out his shorter base model wheel studs for longer CFTP versions on his 2020 Shelby GT500. The longer studs will allow him to use a set of newly acquired carbon fiber wheels, which have thicker hubs than the aluminum base model wheels. We go over this swap step-by-step with workshop manual info to include torque values and stud dimensions. This will help anyone doing a similar swap or anyone simply replacing a broken wheel stud on a 2015+ S550 Mustang. This process is also helpful for adding thick wheel spacers.

Sponsored

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Goose17,

Great video. Very helpful.

It would have been nice to know the base wheel stud lengths when you did the side-by-side comparisons. I’m guessing the CFTP front studs are about an inch (maybe slightly more?) longer than the base model front studs?

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Goose17,

It would have been nice to know the base wheel stud lengths when you did the side-by-side comparisons. I’m guessing the CFTP front studs are about an inch (maybe slightly more?) longer than the base model front studs?
I asked Larry to measure his original studs. I’ll report back when he does.

Periokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 C8 Z51 HTC, 2022 GT3
Great information. So I have a question. What about using standard wheels on a CFTP car. Are there lugs nuts that will make them work without changing the studs?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Great information. So I have a question. What about using standard wheels on a CFTP car. Are there lugs nuts that will make them work without changing the studs?
Just need a set of open ended lugs
^^Yes, this! Larry plans to keep his base wheels with 4S tire to use for longer cruises/road trips with open lug nuts.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Goose17,

Larry reported back. The base model front and rear studs are the same at 2” under head length.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Larry reported back. The base model front and rear studs are the same at 2” under head length.
Thank you!

Based on the 80 mm (~3.15 inches) UHL measurement of the CFTP front wheel stud in your video, it appears that the CFTP front wheel studs in a base model front hub should allow for up to a 1” spacer without any problems. For about $70-80 more than the cost of the five studs, a complete CFTP front hub can be swapped instead. You would still have to deal with the hub mounting bolts, but that’s ok.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Thank you!

Based on the 80 mm (~3.15 inches) UHL measurement of the CFTP front wheel stud in your video, it appears that the CFTP front wheel studs in a base model front hub should allow for up to a 1” spacer without any problems. For about $70-80 more than the cost of the five studs, a complete CFTP front hub can be swapped instead. You would still have to deal with the hub mounting bolts, but that’s ok.
I added longer wheel studs yet to my CFTP front with spacers. I also have camber bolts and wider front tires. This will all be covered in follow-on videos… still shaking out the details and have another track alignment scheduled for today.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Next episode.... Larry gets a wing.

I probably would have just bought CFTP hubs

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That’s what I did. Fronts: $191.89 each
Motorcraft HUB 395
I can’t imagine hammering on a bearing like that.…
I know, right? And the bill for the studs was like $600 or something?

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
I know, right? And the bill for the studs was like $600 or something?
The bill, if I remember correctly, was for the front and rear studs. Discounted, the front studs are $40-45 EACH. So, realistically, you’re looking at $200+/hub for just the studs. For ~$70 more, you can have a 4-bolt installation without any potential damage to the hub.

ARP studs are about $70-90 for the 5-stud set.

Based on Epiphany’s other thread, HUB474 should be the CFTP front hub. (Edit on 1/23/2022 for correct hub part number)

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The bill, if I remember correctly, was for the front and rear studs. Discounted, the front studs are $40-45 EACH. So, realistically, you’re looking at $200+/hub for just the studs. For ~$70 more, you can have a 4-bolt installation without any potential damage to the hub.

ARP studs are about $75-90 for the 5-stud set.

Based on Epiphany’s other thread, HUB476 should be the CFTP front hub.
exactly. A long time ago, it was determined that you are better off just buying new hubs.
Sponsored