Sponsored

2020-2022 Shelby GT500 Engine Oil Overheat Solution (video)

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
My 2020 Shelby GT500 suffered engine oil overheats at a hot track day recently. You could feel the engine was down on power. Once home, I went to work finding the culprit and recently tested my solution at a subsequent track day, which was successful! I show what the problem was and how I went about solving it!

Sponsored

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
I’m glad we have someone abusing these cars like they were ment to be used. This way we know what to check before going to the track.

Thanks for the info. This is another cooler cleaning to add to schedule maintenance.

Have you had any overheating issues with the differential? My diff temperatures seem to run higher than in my 00R.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I’m glad we have someone abusing these cars like they were ment to be used. This way we know what to check before going to the track.

Thanks for the info. This is another cooler cleaning to add to schedule maintenance.

Have you had any overheating issues with the differential? My diff temperatures seem to run higher than in my 00R.
Thanks Gary!

I haven’t had any issues with my diff. Full disclosure though… I have my exhaust wrapped where it goes by the diff. I have also changed the diff oil once.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I need to wrap the exhaust around the dif.
Yes, I did that after @Tomster showed us how to do it a while back. He had CV joint overheat issues.
I’ve looked but I’ve failed, or the search has failed me … lol. Please can you point me in the right direction ?

I’ve no current need to wrap those pipes, but it’s been on my radar for a while. As as my cradle and diff are coming down courtesy of Ford, I’m planning what else can be done whilst the car is out of action and that area is stripped out for me :like:

I have a surprise for you guys. I'm looking forward to it. More later.
Do tell … !

WD :like:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I’ve looked but I’ve failed, or the search has failed me … lol. Please can you point me in the right direction ?
Its the one where my CVs failed due to the grease hitting the drop point, melting, and subsequently tearing the joint apart. Many factors were involved including long term WOT, several group black flags (entire group coming in for a wreck on the track, with no cool down), which caused the CV ball bearings to no longer be lubed properly (because the grease melted). This caused failure.

One of the remedies I came up with was to wrap the pipes that sit very close to the CV. The other required rebuild of brand new half shafts using high temp grease. I had that work done by someone who is familiar with that phenomenon. I can't get into names.

Do tell … !
Then it wouldn't be a surprise.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Tim have you noticed lower Oil temps since your DIY fix? Thanks for all the info/detail. JP

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Tim have you noticed lower Oil temps since your DIY fix? Thanks for all the info/detail. JP
Yes… I had 2 amazing track days at Ozarks International Raceway recently… working on those videos. The first day was mid to upper 80s… I drove the car HARD and had no oil temp issues. The second day was cooler.
Sponsored