Sponsored

2019 ZL1 is 3,883 pounds--I was surprised today..........

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The aluminum body technology hit the F Series because of scaling volume capability and never went anywhere else. Imagine if the Mustang had even the same unibody but aluminum body panels. That could have been maybe 150lbs or so right there (the F150 typically lost about 500 in total. More and bigger body panels, more opportunity for weight savings). Those aluminum body panels truly are very light and manageable. And if Mustang had the green light for a complete chassis redesign, there could have been more lost in the unibody as well. Camaro cut over 200lbs from its original rough curb weight of about 3900lbs bringing it into the high 3600's. Take a car like the GT350 which feels lighter than it really is. If it were even 100lbs lighter down to 3700lbs...oh my god. For the record, an SS 1LE weighs in the mid 3700's.
And that body tech has truly transformed how the F-150 drives.

I recently bought a '19 RCSB 4X4 F150 for a new daily and you can tell it's much lighter on its feet than the '04 I had (also a 4X4 RCSB) a few vehicles ago. Night and day different, but several hundred pounds will do that. Of course, the 5.0/A10/3.55 combo doesn't hurt either, the thing kind of hauls between lights with the front end engaged and the rear axle locked up. A Whipple would really make things interesting....

It's really too bad the S550 wasn't more aluminum intensive.
Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
I just got a 19 crewcab STX for winter duty and haulin kids hockey gear and even with the baby 2.7TT and A10 this thing drives wayyyyyy better than I expected from a pickup so ill second that!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
due to the "you take the DCT or screw you philosophy of Ford."
Charlie: Come on, man..that is total BS. We KNOW Ford tried to accommodate the manual folks but learned that the platform had too much power and torque. The DCT was the answer, not the penalty...geeze.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Charlie: Come on, man..that is total BS. We KNOW Ford tried to accommodate the manual folks but learned that the platform had too much power and torque. The DCT was the answer, not the penalty...geeze.
That's baloney. Yea so it's .05 seconds a lap faster. If you aren't driving laps in a race who cares! You might as well hire a chauffeur! If you are a DCT fan fine. But all I am saying is enough of the "if you don't absolutely crap your drawers over the new GT500 you can't afford one". As I have said before it will be interesting to see what the guys coming out of a GT350R have to say. Something still tells me if you had a 2020 GT350R parked besides a 2020 GT500 as soon as the original hype died on the 500 you would probably pick the 350R over the 500 most of the time.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I was under the impression it was less loaded than an SS. I may be thinking of older models.
More loaded. Significantly more loaded. I have a maxed out SS convertible with 2SS trim. The ZL1 has every option I have plus a few extra coolers, Performance Data Recorder, eLSD, wider (=heavier) tires at every corner, and skirts.

My car weighs in about 3,900 (200 for the convertible mechanisms and body bracing) to the ZL1’s 3,883. The mass difference between the ZL1 and the GT500 is largely due to the starting points (S550 vs Alpha) and the weight of the Tremec DCT.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
Lord Sakes Kilobravo everytime I see one of your new Avatars my heart just starts beating off the richter scale. You do realize some of us here are all red blooded American Men don't you??? LOL Have a wonderful day!!!!

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Shelby America did NOT Factory Fords.
Did you NOT EVEN READ???

I said Shelby. Not Ford. Speaking of idiot... LOL

Dude. Learn facts before making even more dumb comments.

The point was, the MUSTANG can be bought with 1,000 hp.

Not just a crate engine that you need to find a car for. You can actually buy a 1000 hp mustang from Shelby.

This isn’t a crate engine forum anyway. It’s a... you guessed it... MUSTANG forum.

You’re grasping at straws to find something to help you cope with anxiety about the 500. It’s just a car dude. Calm down. I’d hate to hear what its lie at your house when your favorite sports team loses.

Last edited:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Tell me again how awesome your "terminator" is. When did this turn into a cobra or mod motor forum? Quite frankly I dont think many around here being a 6th gen forum give a damn about an old SN95. Your ignorance assuming Ive never heard of a damn "Cobra" is comical.

LOL. You can close your Google tab now.

You are the one who brought the Cobra into it. Not me. So good luck with that.

Then you tried to turn it into a crate motor convo. Then cried when that didn’t work.

Then you jump on someone addressing you fallacies that YOU entered into the discussion and blame them? LOL

Shame must literally follow you everywhere you go. Almost feel bad for you.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
More loaded. Significantly more loaded. I have a maxed out SS convertible with 2SS trim. The ZL1 has every option I have plus a few extra coolers, Performance Data Recorder, eLSD, wider (=heavier) tires at every corner, and skirts.

My car weighs in about 3,900 (200 for the convertible mechanisms and body bracing) to the ZL1’s 3,883. The mass difference between the ZL1 and the GT500 is largely due to the starting points (S550 vs Alpha) and the weight of the Tremec DCT.
The tremec DCT and the 10r80 are the same weight 230 lbs/\ Id assume the ZL1's 10r90 is the same

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The 500 is heavier because it is beefier than the 350 and ZL1. It has a more robust braking system, wider front footprint, chassis stiffening, and the suspension to tie it all together and keep the car flat. Certainly the S550 is a somewhat heavier platform than the Alpha chassis. But the braking setup, chassis stiffening, and suspension are very robust. It is a platform for putting power down in the corners and on the strip. The car is certainly heavier than I’d like it to be. More than even Ford would like it to be. But it is what it needs to be to do what it needs to do.

It also leaves room for a KR version that is lighter and has more power, speculatively.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL. You can close your Google tab now.

You are the one who brought the Cobra into it. Not me. So good luck with that.

Then you tried to turn it into a crate motor convo. Then cried when that didn’t work.

Then you jump on someone addressing you fallacies that YOU entered into the discussion and blame them? LOL

Shame must literally follow you everywhere you go. Almost feel bad for you.
You must be delusional from hitting your head so hard today.......

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 500 is heavier because it is beefier than the 350 and ZL1. It has a more robust braking system, wider front footprint, chassis stiffening, and the suspension to tie it all together and keep the car flat. Certainly the S550 is a somewhat heavier platform than the Alpha chassis. But the braking setup, chassis stiffening, and suspension are very robust. It is a platform for putting power down in the corners and on the strip. The car is certainly heavier than I’d like it to be. More than even Ford would like it to be. But it is what it needs to be to do what it needs to do.

It also leaves room for a KR version that is lighter and has more power, speculatively.
Again KR versions were NEVER factory so surely you mean sending a GT500 off to Shelby America?

Again you cant tell the difference between Shelby America and Ford.

The comical part of this is you trying to bust my balls with your blatant ignorance.