Sponsored

2019 ZL1 is 3,883 pounds--I was surprised today..........

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
People really need to get a grip when it comes to the C8. The car really doesn't outperform the C7 by as much of a margin as people were expecting on track. Now the straight line numbers are much improved but thats to be expected, they added 40hp and a DCT to the car. If they had just added 40hp and a DCT to the C7 the 2 cars would be extremely close in straight line performance as well.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
People really need to get a grip when it comes to the C8. The car really doesn't outperform the C7 by as much of a margin as people were expecting on track. Now the straight line numbers are much improved but thats to be expected, they added 40hp and a DCT to the car. If they had just added 40hp and a DCT to the C7 the 2 cars would be extremely close in straight line performance as well.
I just need to point out that on this forum, whenever people point out that Alpha chassis Camaros tend to outperform Mustangs on the track, there is a resounding shout of "but most people never take their cars to the track". So to be consistent, does the Stingray have to be a track monster when it totally kicks ass 0-60 and quarter mile? Add to that the fact that the Stingray (the only C8 unveiled so far) is by no means the "track" Corvette. That comes next year. What Stingray does on the track is commendable for a car that is not track-focused.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
The car just came out, gm has minimal experience building a mid engine car compared to the front engine vette that they have experience with all the way from the 50s.
We can talk about c7 and c8, the c7 had been revised and improved year after year, with 7 years of improvements. This c8 what maybe 2 years of development and not even a year of revision and improvements? It's barely a second faster than a c7 z51 which is already faster than a gt350r. I know they arent in the same class, but at the same price point the better performing car and more options available car is once again a gm car.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
First you say chassis and now it's interior, what's next? The PDK?
I meant interior wise in both comments. As pointed out in the article I linked above.......

The S550 chassis car nor anything before it has EVER had porsche level interior.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
121mph trap speed is all i need to see to say, well, that was cool in 2007..

Last edited:

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I just need to point out that on this forum, whenever people point out that Alpha chassis Camaros tend to outperform Mustangs on the track, there is a resounding shout of "but most people never take their cars to the track". So to be consistent, does the Stingray have to be a track monster when it totally kicks ass 0-60 and quarter mile? Add to that the fact that the Stingray (the only C8 unveiled so far) is by no means the "track" Corvette. That comes next year. What Stingray does on the track is commendable for a car that is not track-focused.
My point was only to demonstrate that the switch to ME did not pay the tremendous dividends everyone believed it would. The C8 is incrementally better than the C7. GM could have built a FE C8 and achieved similar perhaps better performance in many instances.

People seem to believe that because the engine is behind the driver the car somehow should cost $150k+ and that because the C8 doesn't it is some tremendous game changing value. It delivers the performance you would expect from a next gen Vette and the price reflects a long standing tradition for the brand.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My point was only to demonstrate that the switch to ME did not pay the tremendous dividends everyone believed it would. The C8 is incrementally better than the C7. GM could have built a FE C8 and achieved similar perhaps better performance in many instances.
They are not done yet. They’ve barely just begun. For the base Corvette to be right on top of the latest 911S right out of the draw is pretty impressive. Grand Sport and Z06 will be ridiculous and will take significantly more advantage of the ME platform.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
They are not done yet. They’ve barely just begun. For the base Corvette to be right on top of the latest 911S right out of the draw is pretty impressive. Grand Sport and Z06 will be ridiculous and will take significantly more advantage of the ME platform.
My guess is that there will not be a GS model and go straight to the Z06 with some 700+ hp variant. The Zora will be the "ZR1" variant with 900+ hp and electric front drive assist.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I dont understand how the same (non ford) people keep coming back onto a ford forum and insist on debating the C8 vs the 500. Why don't all these people go over to the Corvette forums and argue and debate their points here.

Oh, and thanks chuck for the subject matter.... way to go.

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I dont understand how the same (non ford) people keep coming back onto a ford forum and insist on debating the C8 vs the 500. Why don't all these people go over to the Corvette forums and argue and debate their points here.
Oh, and thanks chuck for the subject matter.... way to go.
I can get behind keeping it confined to the GT500 vs C8 thread in the versus forum if it bothers people that much , but wishing dissenters would leave the forum entirely is a bit much.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I can get behind keeping it confined to the GT500 vs C8 thread in the versus forum if it bothers people that much , but wishing dissenters would leave the forum entirely is a bit much.
Sure, let's debate that too.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
This was a ZL1 thread that turned into something else.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500

People seem to believe that because the engine is behind the driver the car somehow should cost $150k+ and that because the C8 doesn't it is some tremendous game changing value. It delivers the performance you would expect from a next gen Vette and the price reflects a long standing tradition for the brand.
Blasphemy!!! The C8 is turning the car world upside down*
* according to paid reviews and #clickbaiters worldwide

This was a ZL1 thread that turned into something else.
Floating goal posts
Sponsored