2019 whipple gt which oil

Juiced35th

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David Luke
Vehicle(s)
19 PP GT
About to install a whipple on my 19 curious what weight oil i should run. Any input is appreciated
Sponsored

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Did you read the installation instructions/owner guide yet? They cover it in there and recommend Motorcraft full synthetic 5w-50.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The manual certainly does recommend motorcraft 5w50. However, I would also consider mobil1 5w50 or pennzoil platinum euro 5w40. I am running the latter.

rtg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1+
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on the Mobile1 5w50...

Rob

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
Is 5w50 only for 18+? What about 15-17?

Sponsored

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
I've been running Amsoil Signature Series 5w20 in my car since I put the whipple on. I use the OLMS which averages around 10k per oil change.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
This article sums up my thinking, that quality oil of the recommended viscosity is the best overall solution. Ford recommends 5W-30 for high stress situations.

https://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories...rication-should-you-run-higher-viscosity-oil/

In full disclosure to my original post, engineermike correctly points out that the blog I referenced next has seen a lot of criticism on the BITOG forum. It's been awhile since I've reviewed all that data so I'm reversing my prior endorsement of the blog recommendations while I evaluate further.

Last edited:

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This article sums up my thinking, that quality oil of the recommended viscosity is the best overall solution. Ford recommends 5W-30 for high stress situations.

https://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories...rication-should-you-run-higher-viscosity-oil/

Having said that, I would like to understand exactly why some builders recommend 5W-50. They do this every day and I believe its the combination of experience + objective engineering that arrives at the best answer...not 1 over the other.

You can never go wrong with Amsoil Signature. Im not an Amsoil fanboy but fact remains this oil consistently tests at the top of almost every major independent test. My current favorite affordable oil is Quaker State Ultimate Durability based on multiple independent testing, for its high temp shear stability. Pennzoil Platinum Plus is another great option, trading off some high temp stability for cleaning power. There are many other great oils like some Mobile 1 formulations, if your favorite quality brand falls down in any rating you can usually count on a reformulation to bring it back near the top of the testing pack.

My favorite Oil Test blog (once you get past the self-promotion, focus on the methodology and test results): https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

YMMV, since you asked.

Interestingly, 1 of the effects of higher viscosity is increased load on OPG. Hmmm....
Interested in switching to the Quaker State Ultimate Durability when my Whipple comes in, I agree it does sound like a winner. I can't stomach the cost of the Motorcraft full synthetic, and the amsoil isn't any better price wise although it does have a long oil change interval, so there's that.

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
All of these articles are highly suspect and have all sorts of highly questionable info, so take them with a grain of salt.
If you have better information and testing, bring it to the table. I have no problem retracting something in error or even for something better.

I wouldnt post a link unless it was cross-validated against other expert opinions and/or objective test organizations.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I could write all day about this but I’ll just post 2 examples....

Lsxmag mentions that 10w30 shears down to 5w30. Not only is it not true, but 5w30 meets the requirements of 10w30 so technically per sae j300 if a 10w30 turned into a 5w30 then it would still also be a 10w30.

The rat540blog is riddled with problems. There is discussion for years on bobistheoilguy if you wish to immerse yourself. For starters, his explanation about the mechanism by which zddp works is totally wrong and his test methods do not even allow it to work. So, oils high in zddp can’t possibly work as designed and don’t get a fighting chance.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Lsxmag mentions that 10w30 shears down to 5w30. Not only is it not true, but 5w30 meets the requirements of 10w30 so technically per sae j300 if a 10w30 turned into a 5w30 then it would still also be a 10w30..
Didn't say that at all. Said a cheap 10W-30 may act like a 5W-20 under severe shear conditions. The shear stability of an oil is measured by using both ASTM test methods D445 and D5275. Full article here from your preferred resource: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/effects-of-shearing/ Note the conclusion, "The real way to help prevent wear is to maintain higher levels of antiwear additives This in conjunction with a good base stock which resists breakdown to high heat". Which gets us to the rat540blog...

The rat540blog is riddled with problems. There is discussion for years on bobistheoilguy if you wish to immerse yourself. For starters, his explanation about the mechanism by which zddp works is totally wrong and his test methods do not even allow it to work. So, oils high in zddp can’t possibly work as designed and don’t get a fighting chance.
Deleted the rest of my post just because, the rest of the debate can be found over there for anyone interested. Also, edited my above post to note the criticisms. You are absolutely right that some people take severe issue with his testing methods and there is more data there now then before.

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Didn't say that at all. Said a cheap 10W-30 may act like a 5W-30 under severe shear conditions. .
The exact quote was "many engine builders recommend using a heavier grade like 10W-30 because it only shears (drops viscosity) down and acts like a 5W-30". This is wrong in a couple of different ways. The most obvious is that the first number is the cold start number and the article wasn't talking about cold starting. The less obvious is that any 5W30 oil meets the requirements of 10W30, so for a 10W30 to "act" like a 5W30 just means that it would meet the viscosity requirements of both 5W30 and 10W30, therefore it would still be acting like a 10W30. In other words, an oil wouldn't lose any properties if it were to somehow change from a 10W30 to a 5W30, as the specifications aren't mutually exclusive. The even less obvious is I believe the author probably completely mis-understood the logic behind using a 10W30, which is that with a high or extra-high VI base oil could have little or no VI Improvers and therefore will never sheer down to a lower weight (though contamination and oxidation could still alter the viscosity). That is, a 5W30 with a low VI base oil and a lot of VII's could pretty easily turn into a 5W20 but a 10W30 using high VI base oil could stay a 10W30 forever.

This matters because I believe the Motorcraft 5W50 is loaded with VII's that can sheer. The Mobil1 5W50 I believe uses a higher quality base oil and has a lower hot viscosity, which leads me to believe it has less VII's and, therefore, less sheering. Mobil1 is also A3/B4 which I believe Motorcraft is not. The same goes for my Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.....high VI base oil and lower hot viscosity equate to less VII's and less sheering, plus it carries the A3/B4 rating.

"The real way to help prevent wear is to maintain higher levels of anti-wear additives This in conjunction with a good base stock which resists breakdown to high heat". Which gets us to the rat540blog....
I agree with part of that except it neglects viscosity. However, the rat540blog testing method is such that ZDDP can't possibly work as designed, nor can higher viscosities. It's been well understood for decades that ZDDP is an excellent anti-wear agent, and that higher viscosities help prevent failures in extreme conditions. There are literally decades worth of test data from actual engines in controlled blind tests that prove these statements are true, but the rat540blog attempts to convince everyone it isn't true because his flawed testing disagrees with it.
Sponsored