Sponsored

2019 R, possible oil pump noise.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I definitely would not worry much. IMO, like others said it is something on the accessory belt drive. After having an E46 BMW that was eating idler pulleys for lunch, this type of noise is very familiar :)
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
This is good advice. I diagnosed a bad water pump this way. And agreed with the other. Definitely not the oil pump - thatā€™s at the front. If removing the belt doesnā€™t change it, it might be related to the flywheel. But agreed, sounds like a pulley
Nearly all Fords use those same pulleys. I keep a couple on my shelf as it seems Iā€™m replacing one every few months on something. Just keep driving it until you hear it again. Open the hood next time and check closer.
Or just buy a couple of pulleys and replace them and the belt for piece of mind. They are cheap.

OP
OP
Alain

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts. Itā€™s comforting to hear that none of you think itā€™s the oil pump. with any luck, it wonā€™t happen again.
if it does, Iā€™ll do a better job of not panicking and looking closer.

im gonna keep driving it as much as possible before the winter hits and see what happens.

im on my way home from work now, Iā€™m going to stop by my local dealers and show them the videos for a little more peace of mind.
ill update later.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts. Itā€™s comforting to hear that none of you think itā€™s the oil pump. with any luck, it wonā€™t happen again.
if it does, Iā€™ll do a better job of not panicking and looking closer.

im gonna keep driving it as much as possible before the winter hits and see what happens.

im on my way home from work now, Iā€™m going to stop by my local dealers and show them the videos for a little more peace of mind.
ill update later.

Heck, it could have had moisture on the belt or something also that too time to wear off. These things are crazy- we read about these failures and get paranoid (I was that way for a while) but I just decided to forget it, keep a warranty and run the car!

Good luck and enjoy it

OP
OP
Alain

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Ok fellers, stopped by the dealership on Monday and showed the guy behind the service counter the videos. His first reaction was like mine and like all of yours have pointed out. He said it sounded like a belt or a pulley.

He assured me that an oil pump would not make that noise. He asked if the car had been sitting for a while. Yes, it had been sitting for about 2 weeks without being driven. He said these cars don't like to be sitting around and not driven.

He then asked me if the car had gotten wet while it was sitting. I told him that two days before I drove it we had heavy rain for 2 days straight and the car was sitting in the driveway during those days. He told me that sometimes when the belts get wet, they tend to squeak.

His advice is very similar to what you guys suggested. He said, just keep driving it and if it makes the noise again, have it towed to our dealership and the warranty will cover whatever may be wrong with it.

I have been driving the car since the noise and haven't noticed anything weird, so I think I dodged a bullet here.

Rubyred, you are correct. After all the reading I've done about motors failing and oil pumps going bad, I am a bit paranoid. Just like everyone else here, I do not want my engine to crap out on me. BUT, if it does, the car is still under warranty for several years and it will be taken care of. I don't plan on making any major modifications to it so the warranty will be around it's full term.

Thank you all for your suggestions and opinions. I"m glad I shared this with everyone because you guys helped and also, someone might find this thread useful down the road.
Sponsored