Sponsored

2019 Mustang GT, PP1, MT82, 401a, Magneride - 4 days first impressions

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
15 DAY UPDATE:
Took a 300 mile +/- day trip around NW Georgia, across the Cohutta - Chattahoochee scenic byway to Prater’s Mill, then up to Chattanooga, TN and then down I-75 toward Atlanta.
Likes: seats (regular leather seats). Very comfortable, good blostering, was pleasantly surprised how well I felt after this journey.
Active Exhaust.
MT82 and clutch seem to be smoother now that everything is getting broken in.
Over 4K RPM this car is amazing.
Averaged 28.5 mpg on the highway.
DISLIKES:
Low end torque is lacking. Will be looking to make some improvements in this area.

B21E8911-C932-4E0D-BD99-5BFDE4A9A03A.jpeg

9 DAY UPDATE:
Ok after 9 days and 460 miles here is an update on my 2019 GT Prem, PP1, Magneride, 401a, B&O, Active Exhaust, Safe and Smart, Manual Trans.
CQuartz install went ok. Probably should have polished first. Had a few nice weather days and I was anxious to get out and drive some. May polish it down and reapply in the spring. At least it looks good and I have a coat of protection. The Magnetic Metallic has a ton of metallic fleck. Even after a full day of adventuring and a coat of dust on the car, it still looks amazing. Great color. Will never get a solid black car again....ever...
Buzz, grind, ratchet clutch noise has gone away, or maybe my technique has improved or combo of both.
Colder weather so, running 35 PSI in tires all around instead of recommended 32psi. TPM shows 38 PSI on the road after warmup.
Oil is so lightly colored it’s very hard to see on the dipstick to check the oil level.
B&O sounds really good once switched to Surround Sound mode. But haven’t listened to music too much, listening to the Active Exhaust in Sport or Track mode is taking center stage.
The lane keeping assist and adaptive cruise control is super nice and works quite well. Like it.
Can’t get use to the ford recommended shift points. 45 mph for 5-6 shift. Seems way too low. Only been using 6th gear for expressway above 65 mph.
Car feels very planted, solid, minimal roll in the curves. If this is attributable to Magneride, I like it.
Total average of 16.6MPG since new with moderately aggressive acceleration whenever possible. About 200 miles were in the mountains.
GRIPES SO FAR:
High gloss black panels at front bumper and at rear truck lid will scratch if you look at them. Towel marks galore, becomes worse if you try to polish it. Fords choice of material here was very poor. IMO.
Custom Gauges, GMeter are on one screen accessible via the pony button, Trip computer and TPM are on a separate menu accessaible via a separate confirm button. But once on the TPM / trip computer screen, you can’t go back to the gauges without selecting the pony button and digging through a couple of menus. At minimum it should be one simple button press to switch between theses two screens.
Floor mat quality is poor. Will be upgrading to custom mats with a logo or pony, “GT”, etc. However, Seats and leather are nice and soft.
The panel gap between the hood and the front fender (where the top of fender comes to a point at the front) the gap is somewhat larger on one side vs the other. Anyone else seeing this on their cars?

Ok after 4 days here are my impressions, likes and dislikes:
Beautiful car. Love the color Magnetic Metallic. Has a tiny bit of green in it. High level of metallic flake.
Power - it’s got it.
Sound - Active Exhaust is very cool. Love track mode. Sound is intoxicating.
Interior quality is surprisingly good IMO.
Very satisfied with the ride quality and handling. Will report again after track use.
Have washed and clayed the car in prep for ceramic. Car was delivered without a single scratch. Impressed.
Got the optional nickel 5 spoke wheels. They look fantastic.
Seats (regular leather) very comfortable. Leather is soft - wondering about long term durability. On My 2007 911 the seats where noticeably harder and leather seemed much thicker. After 12 years, they still looked like new. Mustang seats already have a slight “butt dent” in the seat bottom. However comfort was once of the main reasons for switching to Mustang. Check.
12 inch LCD instrument cluster is a lot of fun, but still leaves me longing for the old analog gauges. I’m 50/50 on this one.

Dislikes / falling short:
B&O sound system did not meet my expectations. Bass is pretty good, but overall sound quality is lacking. UPDATE: found the surround sound setting. Sounds good now. 8/10.
Hard to wash. Lots of crevices and sharp angles for water and soap to hide. Difficult to rinse and dry. Glad I have a water de-ionization system. Also some pointed corners where body panels come together, need to be careful not to catch your wash mit or towel.
Can’t figure out how to switch between the gauges and the trip/tire pressure screen without digging in the menus.
Strange buzzing noise when “power shifting” above 4K Rpm. Gives a buzz sound / grinding noise if you get on the gas too soon before having the clutch fully released. Any one else experience this?

Overall, very satisfied with the purchase. Great value for what you get IMO.

Comments?
908B5101-6C22-4F3E-9AB9-469154555AE1.jpeg
53B92F7A-42B5-4EFB-BDAE-3FE3A1496FD2.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
My '18 PP1 makes the same 'buzzing' noise shifting above 4k, has since day 2... Likely something with the dual disc clutch, not like it should be acceptable but that's likely where it is.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Power shifting after 4 days? No break-in I guess.

Hope it works out for you.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I'm at 4,500 miles now on my '18. The noise you are hearing on shifts is "normal", at least most if not all make it. Shifting at a lower rpm or dumping the clutch at 7K, I've never experienced it. It's always in that mid 4K-5K range. Hard to shift just right to avoid it. As for the digital gauges, I much prefer the old analog style and so happy that's what I got. I doubt they'll be around much longer.

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
I haven't seen any PP1's with Magride, that seems to be a rare combo, enjoy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't seen any PP1's with Magride, that seems to be a rare combo, enjoy.
Yep. Magneride and the wheels were the main reason I wanted to special order. Man, that wait seemed like forever.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Can’t figure out how to switch between the gauges and the trip/tire pressure screen without digging in the menus.

Comments?
There is no other way.

Getting around the menus and switching settings in general in this car is a little ill thought out. It took me a few weeks to realize the car had a trip computer. But you will get used to it. Besides, MPG is so bad you won't want to look at it anyway. :)

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no other way.

Getting around the menus and switching settings in general in this car is a little ill thought out. It took me a few weeks to realize the car had a trip computer. But you will get used to it. Besides, MPG is so bad you won't want to look at it anyway. :)
Yep. MPG is not so good. Love seeing the range after fueling-up. 270 miles. Just wish there was a easy way to switch between the gauge display and the tire pressure monitor screen. The TPM is in that series of screens with the trip computer (as you know). Wife’s Acura and my BMW have very simple access to the TPM. One single push of a button takes you to TPM and press again to go back to whatever you were doing before. Let me know if you discover something..

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Yep. MPG is not so good. Love seeing the range after fueling-up. 270 miles. Just wish there was a easy way to switch between the gauge display and the tire pressure monitor screen. The TPM is in that series of screens with the trip computer (as you know). Wife’s Acura and my BMW have very simple access to the TPM. One single push of a button takes you to TPM and press again to go back to whatever you were doing before. Let me know if you discover something..
After many years of owning German cars I often scratch my head at some of the ways Ford does interior design, driver controls and software interfaces. Although many here will take that as blasphemy! :)

It's a matter of intuitive design vs. an RTM approach. You get used to it.

Oh, you can see the tire pressure on the Ford smartphone app. If you set things up to you'll get notifications if your pressure gets low. Although if you are like me you'd probably rather see things before they hit their warning threshold.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
im not much for engine break in as i built many race engines and i heat cycle them dyno them and drop the oil , BUT clutches Brakes and rear gears i Bed for atleast 500 miles

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
After many years of owning German cars I often scratch my head at some of the ways Ford does interior design, driver controls and software interfaces. Although many here will take that as blasphemy! :)

It's a matter of intuitive design vs. an RTM approach. You get used to it.

Oh, you can see the tire pressure on the Ford smartphone app. If you set things up to you'll get notifications if your pressure gets low. Although if you are like me you'd probably rather see things before they hit their warning threshold.
When I worked in Dearborn I often participated in HMI (human machine interface) driver clinics, where they have you go through various types of tests of the infotainment, driver controls, HVAC controls etc., and rate them and provide comments. This was both for their own and competitor products. I provided a lot of constructive feedback and often the engineers I spoke with agreed with me. Unfortunately, they too get overruled by the styling dept/studio and this stupid thing called Ford DNA. My biggest complaint with the premium Mustang interior, for instance, was that you were forced to go into the touchscreen menus to adjust the blower location (face, feet, both), but meanwhile, it has redundant and useless buttons for: A/C, Mac A/C, Defrost and Max Defrost. Two of those are not needed and could easily be controlled the same way as the base HVAC controls where you hold the temp control at the highest or lowest level and it then activates max defrost or max A/C. That would have freed up two buttons for the blower location and wouldn't have changed how it looked.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Do yourself a big favor and get a quick oil change before 500 miles. These motors are full of metallic crud and the OEM factory oil filter is actually smaller than the FL-500 replacement. This may help you avoid some of the future issues that the Coyote motors are having. I changed mine at 220 miles and the amount of metallic bits in the drain pan was amazing! I did not want that stuff circulating throughout the new motor. So far nice and quiet at 3500 miles.

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
im not much for engine break in as i built many race engines and i heat cycle them dyno them and drop the oil , BUT clutches Brakes and rear gears i Bed for atleast 500 miles
I was fortunate to tour the Ferrari factory in 2005. They have engine dynos with the V12 motors running AT redline for extended periods. They then get installed in customer cars. And every new Ferrari did (and I think still does) get delivered with around 60-70 miles on the odometer, but each is taken on an extensive test drive. I saw cars on those test drives, and they were redlining them.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Please post a picture of your new Mustang GT. I test drove PP1 with magneride with a PP1 without. Both manual transmissions. I would never buy a Mustang without magneride. Very nice setup. Sounds like you have a lovely car. Enjoy!

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Maybe the PP1 needs Magnaride bc of the suspension.

My base GT on 19s rides so smooth, I’d never take advantage of MR.
Sponsored