Mandobomb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mando
Vehicle(s)
None
2019 Mustang GT or 2019 Raptor?

So here's my situation, I currently drive a paid off 2016 Tundra worth around $36k. I've been looking into buying a 2018 + Mustang GT as a toy for the past 2 years but with the car market being crazy I
can't justify spending over $39k on a toy. I have a $30k budget on one but since I can't find any mustangs in that range I was thinking of trading in my truck and just getting a 2018 + Raptor. If I trade in my truck and add my budget put on the mustang I could roughly spend $65k or so on a Raptor. I feel like this will fill the itch of driving something sporty while being as practical as my Tundra. Anyone else that have gone through this or have any advice, suggestions?
Sponsored

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
If it's me, I'm going Mustang all day. Caveat - I'm just not a truck guy at heart. Yeah, I have one now, but it's a lowered muscle truck, so does it even really count? Lol

I want to say my suggestion not taking into account my hangups is still shoot for the Mustang. Maybe sit on it for a bit longer and build up the budget, but I don't think I'd transition to Raptor only. If you want something sporty feeling, unless you're bombing dunes, I can't imagine the Raptor will scratch that itch for you. It's still a full-size truck and will probably drive like one with more get up and go.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I am not a truck driver. I do not like the way they drive or look. I would prefer a smaller SUV if I HAD to drive one. So of course I would get the mustang.

Sorry but I also think its foolish to buy used right now.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't like huge vehicles, so I would go with the Mustang myself. Plus - V6 is not my favorite either. IMO Raptors just sound bad.

Simplejack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
In a perfect world I'd say get both. I had a 2018 Raptor. Loved it, beat the sh@#$ out if it and never had any problems. It was fast enough for me, fastest truck i have ever owned. 2 things I couldn't get over was the sound of the V6 and the 10sp transmission. If u do get a raptor for $65k I would search for a 2020 model. If I remember correct the raptor shocks needs to be rebuild at 50k miles. Raptor stock leaf springs suck. U will want to upgrade those. You will hear alot about cam phasers and rattles on raptors. I believe in 2019 they updated that part # for a TSB so newer you get you shouldn't be effected. That said I go threw vehicles quickly so after 60k miles cashed out on my raptor for a jeep and also recently got a gt350 for my v8 fix. For me my Raptor was my off road toy and daily driver. If it had V8 I would still have it.

20220603_145708.jpg

20210924_125719.jpg

Sponsored

Bkings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2005 C6. 2020 GT
I wouldn't do it. As others have said the raptor isn't going to scratch the V8 car itch.

You should be able to find a GT for 30k or under. Just be patient. It'll be worth it

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I've put several thousand miles on a '20 Raptor. It really isn't worth it unless you're actually utilizing all of that purpose-built capability on a regular basis in environments that make sense.

In terms of daily driving enjoyment, it's not even close. You get a ton of practicality with decent cabin volume and a nice truck bed, but the actual driving involvement is a serious step down.

The Mustang has better steering (but honestly, we're talking about a C+ versus a D- here for regular GTs vs Raptors), a 6-speed manual is infinitely more fun than the 10-speed auto (the 10-speed is best left in auto; manual mode is a total gimmick and not that engaging despite those nice aluminum paddles), the ride is super floaty, and the fuel economy is arguably worse, which is crazy to think about, and you don't even get the biggest selling factor of them all... that V8. Plus it's no faster than any other Ecoboost F-150 out there and drives worse on the road than a regular F-150 because of its suspension setup.

Not just that, but the thing is absolutely massive. Truck guys probably love that whole oversized road vehicle thing but it's just obnoxious to park and maneuver in smaller areas.

Cabin seems less squeak-prone than the S550's with way way WAY more storage, but I prefer the materials and form factor of the S550 a bit more, especially the driving position. Couldn't get the Raptor's seat low enough, and if you're the kind of guy that likes to make a bucket by sinking the seat as low as possible, with the rear end of the ass cushion lower than the front, then you'll be disappointed with the Raptor's range of adjustment.

The Raptor is awesome, don't get me wrong, but 90% of its cool factor is wasted in daily driving. You can enjoy a Mustang even when you're just strolling around town. In hindsight, I think the Raptor looks more badass than it is to live with.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Really? A Mustang board to ask Mustang vs. raptor? Tell ya what, go to the raptor board and ask the same question…then report back here 😉

…this coming from a truck guy who would go the raptor route all day long over the Mustang 😂

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Really? A Mustang board to ask Mustang vs. raptor? Tell ya what, go to the raptor board and ask the same question…then report back here 😉

…this coming from a truck guy who would go the raptor route all day long over the Mustang 😂
That’s fair. But for what reasons? You didn’t even list one lmao.

So you can fly over curbs with those fancy fox dampers? 😂

Velgen

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have been through this before with many cars , and i tell you , either wait for what you want, see if the market comes down, or my .02 would be to take 1/2 of your toy budget and your tundra and just get a raptor for now and wait to see what happens to the car market. I have own two raptor's and enjoyed both, there great trucks and i really dont care about the V6 / 10speed. They work GREAT!!! I have them below.

Velgen Ford Raptor-1.jpeg

Velgen WHeels Code Orange Raptor-1.jpeg
Sponsored