2019 Mustang GT MT82 Clutch/trans issue

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey all, so I have a 2019 Mustang GT with the good ole MT82. Car has 68,000 Kms or roughly 42,000 miles.
started noticing a slight squeal/squeak upon startup a few months ago and at the same time the clutch seemed to start acting grabby/jerky which it had never done before.
squeal/squeak went away so I drove on, I should add here that I purchased extended warranty out to 120,000 kms.
last night I drove out to visit my brother and during the drive the trans started to act really funny and take a lot more effort to get it to engage each gear. Turned on my brothers side road and could hear/feel an audible tick through the shifter and remained difficult to engage each gear.
got to his place shut the car off and allowed to cool completely off. Went to fire it up to see if the ticking noise had gone away and to see if it would move...hadn’t tried reverse yet.
Ticking was gone upon fire up but took about 5 mins to get the car to engage reverse and took a lot of force on the shifter.
drove home just babying the car and plan to call my dealer in the morning.
Any ideas from the experts here? My dad seemed to think the initial squeak/squeal on startup was a bad throw out bearing? Basically just trying to narrow down what it is before it gets dropped at the dealer to get torn apart. Thanks all!
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Maybe your clutch is worn out and preventing the car from going into gear easily. Tranny may actually still be fine. Can you go through the gears easily with the engine off using the clutch? Notice the rpms jumping up when driving, but the car’s speed and acceleration are not proportionate to said rpms? Those would be indicative of a clutch going bye, bye.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thanks Cobra Jet, after speaking to a local dealer today he printed off a few of the TSB’s it could be. Have an appointment Wednesday morning to drop the car off at dealer to begin the process.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks Cobra Jet, after speaking to a local dealer today he printed off a few of the TSB’s it could be. Have an appointment Wednesday morning to drop the car off at dealer to begin the process.
What are the TSBs that it could be? Will you please post them just for FYI in case any of the rest of us encounter a similar situation? Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
There were three he gave me but the papers are in my desk at work. First one was for broken shift forks 1-2, second was broken shift forks 3-4 and last one was something about a notice to dealers about premature clutch failures but not an actual TSB.

I ran my car through the gears this morning with the engine off and clutch depressed and every gear seemed fine although there wasn’t a click or anything going into second gear. Every other gear had the audible click when it engaged but nothing in the second slot. Even went into reverse like butter with engine off...meanwhile it took 5 mins to get it into reverse when it was running and I had to push pretty hard to get it to engage.

I love my manuals but might have to try an A10 for a couple days while mine is being fixed haha see if they really feel that much faster ;)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What are the TSBs that it could be? Will you please post them just for FYI in case any of the rest of us encounter a similar situation? Thanks
Go to post # 3 above and click the link - that link contains all of the TSB's for the MT82 shift fork issues.

OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Went to pickup my car tonight as the dealer called me and told me it was finished. As soon as I fired it up it was making more noise than when I dropped it off...wtf

grabbed service advisor to come out and listen to my car, he acknowledged he heard the noise. Called over “old boy” tech who he told me did the work on my car. He couldn’t hear well enough to hear it at first but then said he heard it. Threw it back up on the lift and put a stethoscope to the bell housing and sure enough...really loud from the engine side.

They tore into my car and the diagnosis was that a rivet came loose from the clutch housing, which in turn broke a spring on my clutch which caused the failure. They order a new clutch and all parts to replace along with new throw out bearing. Take damaged clutch out and at this point he tells me he checked the dual mass flywheel for play back and forth and said he could move it an inch in either direction. Said he thought that was normal and gave the backup trans tech the go ahead to put new clutch in. (Here I was thinking the old boy did all the wrenching but it was actually his backup who he must be training to be his replacement doing the work)

after speaking to the old boy for a bit longer he seems to think the noise must now be coming from the dual mass flywheel now. Arg....

what are everyone else’s thoughts here? I’ve owned 5 manual trans vehicles and this is my first clutch issue ever.

it’s all being covered under warranty but the aggravation is real! This is the third Ford dealer in my city I’ve tried for service only to be disappointed again.

OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I did take a short 26 second video on my phone but don’t know how to upload it here lol

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I did take a short 26 second video on my phone but don’t know how to upload it here lol
If you have a Youtube account, log in and click on the camera symbol at the top right (see pic, it’s circled in red).
- Click the upload video tab.
- Click on select files and grab your video from your photo album.
- Click add in the top right corner, followed by next, next, next and next, until the video is successfully uploaded.

F0FB2840-6111-4F08-93EC-E3E1D9B2A166.jpeg

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Uploaded to YouTube “Black19GT”
Open the uploaded video, copy the link in your browser window and then paste it back here. That way the video will be much easier for everyone to locate and watch.

OrangeBeast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang, 2020 Forester, 2019 Acura RDX
Hey all, so I have a 2019 Mustang GT with the good ole MT82. Car has 68,000 Kms or roughly 42,000 miles.
started noticing a slight squeal/squeak upon startup a few months ago and at the same time the clutch seemed to start acting grabby/jerky which it had never done before.
squeal/squeak went away so I drove on, I should add here that I purchased extended warranty out to 120,000 kms.
last night I drove out to visit my brother and during the drive the trans started to act really funny and take a lot more effort to get it to engage each gear. Turned on my brothers side road and could hear/feel an audible tick through the shifter and remained difficult to engage each gear.
got to his place shut the car off and allowed to cool completely off. Went to fire it up to see if the ticking noise had gone away and to see if it would move...hadn’t tried reverse yet.
Ticking was gone upon fire up but took about 5 mins to get the car to engage reverse and took a lot of force on the shifter.
drove home just babying the car and plan to call my dealer in the morning.
Any ideas from the experts here? My dad seemed to think the initial squeak/squeal on startup was a bad throw out bearing? Basically just trying to narrow down what it is before it gets dropped at the dealer to get torn apart. Thanks all!
42K miles Sounds like you need a new clutch