Sponsored

2019 Mustang GT (Manual) auto rev matching

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
This is very interesting to me.

This is what a tuner told me, thats why most CARB legal tunes still have some sort of rev hang.
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Yep that is how mine is.

Same, although for me it only seems to happen if I'm WOT and then let off. Then it takes years for the RPM to drop.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Rev hang has nothing to do with the cats cooling off. There isn't much cooling going on anyway. It's for emissions purposes. When you take your foot off the gas pedal there is still some petrol in the intake manifold. If you allowed the incoming air supply to be cut off abruptly, this petrol would not burn (not cleanly, anyway) and would be sent down the exhaust, which would be bad for polar bears. That's why the computer closes the throttle gradually, in order to allow this residual petrol to burn off efficiently.

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Meh, after having rev match and getting used to it, I leave it on all the time. Once you adapt to it it's great. Sure it spoils you, but so do the other 4 million nannies on the car that keep you safe. I'm not gonna bitch about progress and technology.

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Yes, it is. Until you get in another car and you discover that you can't drive it properly.

LOL, ok all you grandpas, turn off traction control and all the other nannies and helpers since it's killing your Michael Schumacher skills (don't use 99 of them and then bitch about the 100th)...

Look, you don't just forget how to drive. It was over 15 years without a manual shift vehicle when I bought this car, but I learned on manuals and owned nothing but manuals before that. Never even had a 6spd. Was it a learning curve? Sure. But after a few weeks of testing limits and getting the feel, it came back. Here I am now, months into ownership of my first mustang and 6spd, and I can hammer down just fine.

You can either drive or you can't. Granted there are a lot of people that can't drive for shit and its a good thing they have stuff like rev-match... Me, I've been driving something since I was a kid, whether it be a dirt bike, cart racing, trucks of all sizes. You learn how to drive with experience, and you just don't lose it.

Talk about silly arguments.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Rev hang has nothing to do with the cats cooling off. There isn't much cooling going on anyway. It's for emissions purposes. When you take your foot off the gas pedal there is still some petrol in the intake manifold. If you allowed the incoming air supply to be cut off abruptly, this petrol would not burn (not cleanly, anyway) and would be sent down the exhaust, which would be bad for polar bears. That's why the computer closes the throttle gradually, in order to allow this residual petrol to burn off efficiently.
Hence cat protection, cooling off is not the right term I used. Sorry

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
But after a few weeks of testing limits and getting the feel, it came back.
Of course. It will come back, eventually. But on the odd occasion that your buddy asks for your help and you need to drive his car, and you drive it like a complete rookie, jerking on every upshift, it is annoying and embarassing. And the fact that it would eventually come back after a while if you kept at it isn't much consolation.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Hi often do we switch cars that we really have to worry about relearning how to drive that car. I drive manuals with Rev Match and without Rev Match with no problems. We have to understand not everyone thinks or wants the same....less we all be clones of each other :)

For those that like to use Rev Match, leave it on.

For those that don't like to use Rev Match turn it off.

No need to try to convince others to do what you do.

Yes, it is. Until you get in another car and discover that you can't drive it properly.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Good morning.

I recently purchased a 19’ Mustang GT manual transmisión. I love it in every way. There is one issue though, sometimes the auto rev matching will turn off without me knowing and I’ll have to manually heel toe to down shift. Which isn’t a problem until you have to down shift really quickly to avoid an accident and the car spins the rear wheels because you didn’t rev match.

I don’t want to turn this post into an argument about “just use your right foot” or “just get an automatic”. I am genuinely concerned with this issue. After a long day of work I like to throw the car on rev match mode and cruise my way home.

regardless, thank you for your time.
coming in late - just wanted to say that this never happens to me in my 2019 GT. It always rev matches, every time. My suggestion: get a dealership to look at it under warranty.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No need to try to convince others to do what you do.
I'm not trying to convince anyone. After all, just a few days ago I was in love with the ARM and didn't think I'd ever turn it off.
I'm merely pointing out that there's no such thing as a free lunch. The ARM is lovely but it's not without drawbacks.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Regarding the sudden loss of the ARM, it happened to me once. I was reversing, everything was fine, when all of the sudden I lost the back-up camera. When I started driving forwards I noticed that the current gear wasn't displayed inside the tachometer anymore, and the ARM wasn't working.
I drove like that a couple of miles, making a mess of each gear shift like a rookie, until suddenly the current gear appeared in the tach, and the ARM started working again.
I don't know what happened. It hasn't done that again since then. Probably a temporary glitch with the sensor that detects the current gear.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Meh, after having rev match and getting used to it, I leave it on all the time. Once you adapt to it it's great. Sure it spoils you, but so do the other 4 million nannies on the car that keep you safe. I'm not gonna bitch about progress and technology.
I don't even want to be spoiled. To me, that's the same as giving up. Quitting on myself.

I'll always bitch about what the nannies take away from me and for the distraction that they can bring on. That they would force me to re-invent my own personal "how to drive a car" wheel. Mine's pretty close to 'round' at this point; having to adjust to how the nannies want me to drive amounts to pounding some out-of-roundnesses into that same wheel.

If the nannies can't or won't adapt to me, that's on progress and technology not being as good as its starry-eyed proponents would have you believe it is. And I still have the driving record to support that.

Norm

ArtieTheOneManParty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I had the same problem happen, lost backup camera and rev match. All I did was stop, toggle rev match off/on and then everything started working again. When I pulled over to toggle it, I didn't try to use it, so it could have "fixed itself".

Regarding the sudden loss of the ARM, it happened to me once. I was reversing, everything was fine, when all of the sudden I lost the back-up camera. When I started driving forwards I noticed that the current gear wasn't displayed inside the tachometer anymore, and the ARM wasn't working.
I drove like that a couple of miles, making a mess of each gear shift like a rookie, until suddenly the current gear appeared in the tach, and the ARM started working again.
I don't know what happened. It hasn't done that again since then. Probably a temporary glitch with the sensor that detects the current gear.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I only use rev match when driving with GF, don't want her to throw up in the car.. 🤪 😅
Sponsored