Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If it's good enough for F1... ;)
Tenths and hundredths of a second per shift matter in a race, I get that.

But how much value does that really add to your street driving?

Norm
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Tenths and hundredths of a second per shift matter in a race, I get that.

But how much value does that really add to your street driving?

Norm
Rev-match adds a lot of enjoyment to my street driving, I am glad i waited for a 2019 to get it. I understand that you do not like it (and why you feel that way) and consider both our viewpoints to be valid. Btw, my viewpoint is from many years of auto-x and track days, car and bike, where double-clutch/heel and toe was the only rev match we had. Maybe I have become lazy (hah, maybe?) but I really appreciate what Ford has done when I approach the local traffic circle and go through the gears from 5th to 2nd. :)

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Well, I'm happy to report that my upshifts are now perfectly fine. :sunglasses:
It seems I still know how to do it. Phew! :whew:
Downshifts are also fine(ish), though a bit of work is still needed there.

I know what happened.
I didn't have any trouble with any of my previous manual cars. But as soon as I started driving the Mustang I noticed that all my upshifts were jerky. I used to unconsciously touch the throttle ever so slightly while releasing the clutch. I wasn't even aware of doing it, it was all instinctive. But the Mustang didn't seem to like that. So, I had to train myself to lift the clutch first, making sure that I kept my right foot completely off the throttle during this time, and only then to accelerate. This worked fine, and everything was nice and smooth from then on.
Now, eight months later, when I turned off the ARM I was stunned to notice that I couldn't upshift smoothly anymore. Because my technique was now wrong, obviously.

Fortunately, it seems that driving stick is like riding a bicycle. I just had to stop thinking about it and do it instinctively. My old instincts were still there. Everything is fine now.
I won't enable the ARM again. I'm fine with a system that flicks the throttle a bit when you downshift, but not with one that perverts your entire driving technique to the extent that you become unable to drive properly without it.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Now I understand why so many people complain about the rev hang. This isn't rev hang; it's the ARM. Sure, there is a bit of rev hang, like there is in all modern fuel-injected engines, but nothing out of the ordinary. It's actually the ARM that augments it to an unpleasant (for some) level.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh it's serious rev hang in the ecoboost and v6. It's not as egregious on the 5.0 but it's still there. I had the tuner kill that crap.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's still there, no doubt about that, but without the ARM it seems to be within reasonable limits. I mean, it doesn't seem to be worse than other contemporary fuel injected engines that I've seen. The ARM makes it worse.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
It's still there, no doubt about that, but without the ARM it seems to be within reasonable limits. I mean, it doesn't seem to be worse than other contemporary fuel injected engines that I've seen. The ARM makes it worse.
Yes, that does indeed seem to be the case. I was not aware of that, but inspired by your posts I also tried disabling rev-match today, and shifting gears upwards became a much more pleasant experience. Shifting down ... not so much.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
My rev match is off in configuration. To be honest whats the point of having a manual if you aren't doing it yourself. :D

As far as having rev match activated for sticky situations...I don't even see how that is even relevant. Clutch, brake and steering wheel.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
My rev match is off in configuration. To be honest whats the point of having a manual if you aren't doing it yourself. :D
Yeah, there's some truth in that. Never was a heel-toe expert before, but after having had rev-match enabled for one and a half year (since a couple of weeks after I got the car, initially I didn't like it), today I made myself cringe. Some practice is definitely in order, and now this thread also has some useful tips from Norm and others.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, there's some truth in that. Never was a heel-toe expert before, but after having had rev-match enabled for one and a half year (since a couple of weeks after I got the car, initially I didn't like it), today I made myself cringe. Some practice is definitely in order, and now this thread also has some useful tips from Norm and others.
You use rev matching when you heel and toe. You can rev match without doing heel and toe. Heel and toe is kind of hard practicing on the street.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I have serious rev hang with high rev 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th shifts.

Oh it's serious rev hang in the ecoboost and v6. It's not as egregious on the 5.0 but it's still there. I had the tuner kill that crap.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rev hang is built in to the software to make sure the cats can cool off
Same, although for me it only seems to happen if I'm WOT and then let off. Then it takes years for the RPM to drop.
Cat protection...

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Rev hang is built in to the software to make sure the cats can cool off

Cat protection...
This is very interesting to me.
Sponsored