2019 Mustang GT Auto Very Rough Idle/Engine Stall

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Are there improved aftermarket parts the VCT problems ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
I would bring up the potential VCT solenoid issue. Ever since they replaced it, I’ve yet to have abnormal idles and stall outs.
I second this. Although my issue still hasn't been completely fixed even as of today, this was the solution that helped me the most. For me, they cycled the solenoids 10 times and that seemed to do very well for me. I still (very rarely) get a slight rough idle every several months or so, but it has never stalled out on me since I had that fix. I wonder if they completely replaced the solenoids if my issue would've completely went away, but as of right now I don't see it worth the hassle to deal with the dealerships again. Hopefully my luck lasts. This issue really is a headache when you're going through the constant rough idles and stalls.

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
I would bring up the potential VCT solenoid issue. Ever since they replaced it, I’ve yet to have abnormal idles and stall outs.
I definitely will. I think the problem is going to be that they're not going to do a thing to fix the car, unless on the off chance they're able to replicate it this time. It so frustrating that there's no codes logged.

Loboman777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I definitely will. I think the problem is going to be that they're not going to do a thing to fix the car, unless on the off chance they're able to replicate it this time. It so frustrating that there's no codes logged.
I wouldn’t be surprised if you get codes soon. I didn’t get codes immediately but eventually did. They had to do with engine misfires which is obviously very vague, but it did come eventually so I hope it eventually pops up for you too.

Sponsored

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
Ive noticed my rpms fluctuate just a tiny bit should i be concerned? After getting my cylinder head gasket replaced

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t be surprised if you get codes soon. I didn’t get codes immediately but eventually did. They had to do with engine misfires which is obviously very vague, but it did come eventually so I hope it eventually pops up for you too.
Well, they've had my car since Friday and I haven't gotten any updates, so either they are actually doing something on it or they're at least pretending they are.

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, they've had my car since Friday and I haven't gotten any updates, so either they are actually doing something on it or they're at least pretending they are.
Ford dealer finally called today. They said they couldn't reproduce the problem. Again. I said, "Why don't you keep it and drive around for a few days longer, because honestly, I'm going to get rid of it if you return it without performing any work on it. I'm not going to continue paying $500/mo for a car that dies on me."

Looks like I might be S.O.L. with this car. :facepalm:

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
Ford dealer finally called today. They said they couldn't reproduce the problem. Again. I said, "Why don't you keep it and drive around for a few days longer, because honestly, I'm going to get rid of it if you return it without performing any work on it. I'm not going to continue paying $500/mo for a car that dies on me."

Looks like I might be S.O.L. with this car. :facepalm:
Yeah just trash it or call ford customer service and tell them your issues try to get proof that it stalls out in traffic because this issue can go a week or two without dying sometimes even months but it’s going to keep happening I recommend getting rid of it though I’m lemon lawing mine

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah just trash it or call ford customer service and tell them your issues try to get proof that it stalls out in traffic because this issue can go a week or two without dying sometimes even months but it’s going to keep happening I recommend getting rid of it though I’m lemon lawing mine
I'll probably just trade it in on another car at a dealer. Ford would just resell it to someone, anyway. With the car market the way it is, I'll have little trouble getting top dollar for it. I'm just bummed because I really love the car otherwise and now I think I'll be jumping camp for the first time in my life to get a Scat Pack or something (other than a Camaro) to replace it.

Sponsored

Kdelon12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Hey guys. I recently bought a used 2019 Mustang GT 10-speed (~32k miles) about a month ago and I’ve been having issues when idling and coming to a stop at red lights. Sometimes when the car is stopped at a red light for a few seconds, the RPM starts fluctuating and slightly going up and down and the car shakes pretty roughly as this is happening. This happens quite a lot. Now, sometimes during these fluctuations, the RPM will drop very low and then the engine will just shut off (stall). This happened to me 2 or 3 times all within a week until I decided to go to the dealership (6/8/20).

They initially diagnosed the issue as an Intake Manifold Runner Control problem and they replaced the faulty part. Just a few days after that repair, the same thing happened where the RPM went up and down at idle and the car stalled again at a red light. Went back into the dealership, and they said this time it was the throttle body that was bad and they replaced it (that was today 6/29/20). Decided to take the car out tonight for a test drive and lo and behold, the idle is still very rough at red lights although it didn’t stall out in my short test drive. Although it feels the exact same before with the RPM fluctuations and I feel like it’s a matter of time before I get the stall to occur. I haven’t called the dealership again yet because this was at night, but I am getting a little worried.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing the rough idling and stalling of the car? I’m not sure what they’ll say after I call them tomorrow for the 3rd visit/repair, but I wanted some opinions.

--Also not sure if it’s related but sometimes when I shift from D to R, the car will suddenly increase the RPM quite a bit and it makes the car jump back initially if I don’t have my foot on the brakes. I’ve learned to keep my foot on the brake for an extra few seconds when shifting into reverse, but does that seem normal? I have to be extra careful in my garage when I’m backing it in, cause the car will lurch suddenly after changing the gear from D to R.
I had the same issue if you are still experiencing this change the oil control valves on bank 1 and 2 and it should fix the rough idle if not then it will be the cam phasers but usually it’s the valves getting stuck causing the car to stall due to dirty oil or a late oil change . The code won’t pop up Bc it’s a time related code so if it’s not triggered long than so many seconds it won’t pop up on the check engine light or throw any codes.it only cost about $160 for both sides and just replace the exhaust valves too .

Kdelon12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
My 2019 GT started having the erratic idle problem this Spring. I took it to the dealer and they performed no work, because they said they could not replicate it. It was fine until this last week, when it started idling even worse than before and actually stalled on me 4 times in stop and go, rush hour traffic. Talk about embarrassing. I just dropped it off this morning and they said they'll call me on Monday with an update.

I know this sort of thing being random (and throwing no codes) is hard to diagnose, but after reading the horror stories in this thread, I'm not hopeful that they'll work on it this time either, much less fix it. My warranty is up in a about 3 months and I'm not really sure what to do here. I guess I could trade it in, but I really like this car (aside from this issue). What should I do?
Check the oil control valves in bank 1 and 2 sometimes they get stuck and cause that problem I changed both sides on my own Bc the dealership couldn’t diagnose it and it ended up being those valves .

ShawnM18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
So the majority just jumping ship here?i Have an 18’ gt with the same issue thinking of getting a 21’ next or a 20 at least.. let me know your thoughts

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the majority just jumping ship here?i Have an 18’ gt with the same issue thinking of getting a 21’ next or a 20 at least.. let me know your thoughts
That's the plan for me. My car's idle stumbled on the way home from the dealership (which returned the car to me dirty and with half of the gas that I had before now missing). After my '16 Mustang's air conditioner compressor exploded due to a bad evap and they returned it to me, the dash rattled like crazy. I'm just kind of done with it at this point. I can't see replacing this one with another new Mustang, hoping the 3rd time's the charm for S550s. Will probably replace it with a BMW M340i or a Charger Skat Pack.

LFtrip

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT RTR Spec 2, 2013 F150 Raptor SVT
Update on my 2019. It started idling very erratic and the through a check engine light. I took it to the dealer, told them about the phaser and vct issues this group has talked about. They said my phasers need to be replaced so that will be done later this month. Hopefully this fixes my problems but I have my doubts. I see a trade in in the future.
Sponsored