Sponsored

2019 Mustang GT Auto Very Rough Idle/Engine Stall

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Mine did it stock tune and E85 tune. Started stalling again 7k miles after cams phasers replaced...
Sponsored

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
Mine did it stock tune and E85 tune. Started stalling again 7k miles after cams phasers replaced...
Mine just started today rough idling a bit and the rpms where jumping atleast 100k rpms up and down! No stalling has anyone solved this issue yet? Is there even a fix for it yet?

Loboman777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Mine just started today rough idling a bit and the rpms where jumping atleast 100k rpms up and down! No stalling has anyone solved this issue yet? Is there even a fix for it yet?
I think several of us have fixed RPM drops/stall issues by cycling or even replacing VCT solenoids which is a known problem. Check back in this thread for more detail.

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
I think several of us have fixed RPM drops/stall issues by cycling or even replacing VCT solenoids which is a known problem. Check back in this thread for more detail.
Don’t they change out your vct solenoid when getting new cam phasers? They cycle my vcts last visit in january 5 but didn’t fix issue still had all the symptoms until i fill up the engine coolant it didnt give me any issues until today

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I think it is a bigger issue than Ford wants to admit. Between that and the constant a10 (hard down shifts, phantom revs ups in gear) I traded the problem child. Car ran great at wot though. lol...

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Don’t they change out your vct solenoid when getting new cam phasers? They cycle my vcts last visit in january 5 but didn’t fix issue still had all the symptoms until i fill up the engine coolant it didnt give me any issues until today
No they do not necessarily do both. I have a hunch on what is actually happening. I ran PUP which has heavy detergents in the oil. Once the oil was 1800-2k miles old is when the idle shit always started again. I think it clogs up and or contaminates the VCT solenoids.

Loboman777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
No they do not necessarily do both. I have a hunch on what is actually happening. I ran PUP which has heavy detergents in the oil. Once the oil was 1800-2k miles old is when the idle shit always started again. I think it clogs up and or contaminates the VCT solenoids.
I think this is a good hypothesis and seems very reasonable. I’m in agreement that replacing the cam phasers probably doesn’t include the solenoids. I wonder what size orifice these solenoids are because the smaller they are, the easier to clog.

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
I think this is a good hypothesis and seems very reasonable. I’m in agreement that replacing the cam phasers probably doesn’t include the solenoids. I wonder what size orifice these solenoids are because the smaller they are, the easier to clog.
It’s weird because the car keep stalling and doesn’t throw any single codes other than a battery symbol. If ford was to give me a new engine would that affect the value if i wanted to trade it in someday?

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Nope. No check engine lights ever. I paid 34 for my base pp1 a10 2018 back in June 18. I traded it almost 3 years later (12k miles exc cond) and got 31 for it. lol. Good riddance. Lol.

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
Nope. No check engine lights ever. I paid 34 for my base pp1 a10 2018 back in June 18. I traded it almost 3 years later (12k miles exc cond) and got 31 for it. lol. Good riddance. Lol.
I’m going to most likely sell this thing to just got an offer of 32,500 same spec as you! Just a 2019 just looking around to see if any other dealer would beat that.

Sponsored

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
Taking mine in in the morning. Normally idles smooth, but with increasing frequency a momentary rough idle with some RPM bounce and the air/fuel gauge swinging dramatically with the RPM. this was very uncommon say early '20 then more frequent; always at idle, no stalls and with no codes. After dropping in the Ford performance M-9603-M8B the idle smoothed out nicely but has since returned. fortunately the mod also came with the procal 4 tool. kicking thru parameters to log I grabbed the VCT intake and exhaust cam error for banks 1 & 2. exhaust cam error for both banks is very stable, even during rough idle. Intake cam error is a different story; Bank 1 fluctuates wildly and bank 2 is almost as bad, but B1 definitely swings more and earlier.
while driving still has minor swing but not like at idle, and nothing like the negligible +/- 00.x on the exhaust cam error.
like most on the forum, I take excellent care of this '19 GT premium, frequently check oil level, and always change well before % reading, usually PUP or Castrol full synth with a WIX XP filter. and this car definitely packs on the miles (57k now) and runs well; which is why this rough idle is really frustrating.
I'll post when I find out more, but I have a feeling it could be the cam phasers; regardless, if they need to open the front of the engine, I'm going to pay the extra over warranty and have other key components replaced; treat it like an early 100k+ maintenance on steroids.

Loboman777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Taking mine in in the morning. Normally idles smooth, but with increasing frequency a momentary rough idle with some RPM bounce and the air/fuel gauge swinging dramatically with the RPM. this was very uncommon say early '20 then more frequent; always at idle, no stalls and with no codes. After dropping in the Ford performance M-9603-M8B the idle smoothed out nicely but has since returned. fortunately the mod also came with the procal 4 tool. kicking thru parameters to log I grabbed the VCT intake and exhaust cam error for banks 1 & 2. exhaust cam error for both banks is very stable, even during rough idle. Intake cam error is a different story; Bank 1 fluctuates wildly and bank 2 is almost as bad, but B1 definitely swings more and earlier.
while driving still has minor swing but not like at idle, and nothing like the negligible +/- 00.x on the exhaust cam error.
like most on the forum, I take excellent care of this '19 GT premium, frequently check oil level, and always change well before % reading, usually PUP or Castrol full synth with a WIX XP filter. and this car definitely packs on the miles (57k now) and runs well; which is why this rough idle is really frustrating.
I'll post when I find out more, but I have a feeling it could be the cam phasers; regardless, if they need to open the front of the engine, I'm going to pay the extra over warranty and have other key components replaced; treat it like an early 100k+ maintenance on steroids.

Just thought I’d share this link to a VCT tech talk since you are looking at some of those parameters. This might give you ideas of what else to do/look for.

T123456

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Kona Blue
What was the outcome?

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
What was the outcome?
Intake bank 1 solenoid; no debris or oil grunge, just wasn’t moving smoothly.
Got the GT back...just in time to sell it.
tough decision because that GT is in fantastic condition, but a dealership was very persistent over the weekend and finally went with the “outrageous “ numbers I gave them at the start.
I now own a beautiful GT500
21DB66EF-B633-4220-9AF7-91FAF2B14340.jpeg
Sponsored