2019 Mustang GT Auto Very Rough Idle/Engine Stall

Saleen90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Ya, they just replaced the vct solenoid on bank 2. I have had it back for 2 days now and it seems to be idling smoothly so far.

Btw this whole situation made me realize how noisy these 5.0 motors are lol
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What's your build date? Or better yet, your engine build date? The sticker is on the driver's side at the very rear, by the brake booster. Thank you.

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
Ya, they just replaced the vct solenoid on bank 2. I have had it back for 2 days now and it seems to be idling smoothly so far.

Btw this whole situation made me realize how noisy these 5.0 motors are lol
They replaced my cam phasers and did something with bank 2 i believe in mine my car ran fine for 1 month than stalling issues and rough idles begin hopefully it doesnt happen to yours! But just letting you know there might be a chance it might happen again. No cel have popped up for me at all

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Video is a bit older, but doe sit sound like this?

Datalog when it happens, shows it's not the exhaust but intake phasers

Beside changing solenoids and phasers, someone in the comments mentions that
There is a TSB for this, and its oooooolld. You need to “actuate” the phasers, go give it a few wots and it will go away.

And a few others suspect it's oil viscosity related, user Jon R said:

The 18's still use the older solenoids (Gen1/2) on the intake cams. This style solenoid does not have oil running through them to keep them clean. The problem arises from extended oil changes +5k miles or going by the oil life monitor. They mount to the timing cover on a high varnish area with no oil flow, thus they get sticky. No DTC's because they are good internally. You could litterally take them out, clean them with solvent and will function normally.

If your out of warranty though, take off connectors to solenoids and cycle with 12v jumper on and off repeatedly to unstick any debris. Sometimes works.

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Video is a bit older, but doe sit sound like this?

Datalog when it happens, shows it's not the exhaust but intake phasers

Beside changing solenoids and phasers, someone in the comments mentions that

And a few others suspect it's oil viscosity related, user Jon R said:
Great info man. I've seen some of his tune videos before but haven't seen this specific one. Very interesting.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I believe there are 19’s out there with same issues. Wonder when they switched to newer solenoids?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Wonder when they switched to newer solenoids?
That's be great to know. If 2019s are potentially affected, I'd like to know if my car is included. Rather than car build date, it'd be even better to have engine build date, since my car was built in Aug 09, 2019, but the damn engine was old, with May 03, 2019 build date. So far only normal vibrations when engine is cold, and doing 5K-mile oil changes with M1 0/30 for quicker lubrication, so we'll see.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
You would think Ford would have tsb’d those intake cam phasers by now. Mine were replaced in May 19 by the same shitty parts I’m sure. lol.

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
That's be great to know. If 2019s are potentially affected, I'd like to know if my car is included. Rather than car build date, it'd be even better to have engine build date, since my car was built in Aug 09, 2019, but the damn engine was old, with May 03, 2019 build date. So far only normal vibrations when engine is cold, and doing 5K-mile oil changes with M1 0/30 for quicker lubrication, so we'll see.
I have a 2019 but the build date was 7/17 i heard some builds before 4/19 would have these issues

Sponsored

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blueearlbrewing.com
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium California Special
Vehicle Showcase
I think I experienced this today at a light. RPMs went up and down to like 300-400 then to 1000 and back down again while sitting at a light.

My car is a 2020 with less than 800 miles. Hopefully this isn’t going to be an everyday thing.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I think I experienced this today at a light. RPMs went up and down to like 300-400 then to 1000 and back down again while sitting at a light.

My car is a 2020 with less than 800 miles. Hopefully this isn’t going to be an everyday thing.
highly doubt your issue is the vct. Check your battery or your charging system. I have a 2020 that I bought in April. So far I put 16,000 miles and no issues with the engine but I did replace the battery as I was having issues with low voltage

Last edited:

Anselmo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anselmo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt 2019
We’re any of y’all able to find a solution? I have a 2019 mustang gt pp1 but my issue didn’t happen until I loaded a flex tune . I switch to 93 and it goes away

LFtrip

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT RTR Spec 2, 2013 F150 Raptor SVT
I’m still having the same issue with my idle dropping to 400 and going up to 1000 while my air to fuel ratio goes up and down as well. What’s the normal battery voltage for our cars? I noticed mine will drop to 12.5 and up to 14.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Mine started occurring a few months after I started running E85 and the Lund FlexFuel/E85 tunes. More specifically it occurred after I ran the FlexView tune more long term (which they say is supposed to be only a transition tune).

After an oil change and a spark plug change to the NGK Ruthenium, the cyclic idle has subsided. I now get a consistent idle with the 100-200 rpm dips that are normal of 5.0 engines.
Sponsored