2019 Mustang GT Auto Very Rough Idle/Engine Stall

Saleen90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
So unfortunately I just started encountering this issue last week. I took it to ford today and they did a full reset and updated the computer. Fingers crossed I do not get the rough idle again. To be honest I am not very hopefully this fixed it now that I have read the posts from this thread.

It never completely stalled on me or threw any codes.

My mustang is a 2019 and I just hit 9,500miles. I will post again once I check the build date to see if there is any pattern here.
Sponsored

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
So unfortunately I just started encountering this issue last week. I took it to ford today and they did a full reset and updated the computer. Fingers crossed I do not get the rough idle again. To be honest I am not very hopefully this fixed it now that I have read the posts from this thread.

My mustang is a 2019 and I just hit 9,500miles. I will post again once I check the build date to see if there is any pattern here.
Took it in the dealership 3 times so far no fix for me i got my cam phasers replaced , i got a retune and so far no help! Hopefully dealer finds your situation soon.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Took it in the dealership 3 times so far no fix for me i got my cam phasers replaced , i got a retune and so far no help! Hopefully dealer finds your situation soon.
Keep us posted please.

Saleen90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt

Build date is 02/19

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Just an update/recap of my situation:

So looking back on this thread, it looks like my last issue was back in September of 2020 which was about 4 months ago. That time it stalled out on me while the car was in motion, which is obviously quite bad.

But as an update to today, I have not experienced this issue again at all really. No rough idle, no stalling, nothing. And it's weird because I didn't bring it in for any service at all between then and now. I'm due to change the oil in a few days or so, but it's weird. In my opinion, my custom tune is probably masking the issue. Those tunes raise the idle RPM to about 750-780 or so which is 100 RPM above stock. I have a feeling that is helping with the previous rough idle issues I was having. Going back to stock tune would probably bring these issues back I'm guessing, but since everything has been working as it should for several months now, I'm not gonna even think about going back to the stock tune while things are okay for now.

So for those that want to know what the last "fix" by the dealer was that has kept my car is mostly good condition from this issue: it was the cycling of the VCT solenoids, which is a TSB that was posted earlier in this thread from a member here. It was not a replacement, but just a cycling to clear any debris and for the most part that has worked for me, although I did have the one stall between that service and now. I'm wondering if they went ahead and completely replaced the part if that would be the 100% fix for me, but while things are working okay for now, I won't worry about it until this issue returns for me... which I obviously hope it doesn't.

I will update if anything happens in the future..

Sponsored

Loboman777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT

So looking back on this thread, it looks like my last issue was back in September of 2020 which was about 4 months ago. That time it stalled out on me while the car was in motion, which is obviously quite bad.

But as an update to today, I have not experienced this issue again at all really. No rough idle, no stalling, nothing. And it's weird because I didn't bring it in for any service at all between then and now. I'm due to change the oil in a few days or so, but it's weird. In my opinion, my custom tune is probably masking the issue. Those tunes raise the idle RPM to about 750-780 or so which is 100 RPM above stock. I have a feeling that is helping with the previous rough idle issues I was having. Going back to stock tune would probably bring these issues back I'm guessing, but since everything has been working as it should for several months now, I'm not gonna even think about going back to the stock tune while things are okay for now.

So for those that want to know what the last "fix" by the dealer was that has kept my car is mostly good condition from this issue: it was the cycling of the VCT solenoids, which is a TSB that was posted earlier in this thread from a member here. It was not a replacement, but just a cycling to clear any debris and for the most part that has worked for me, although I did have the one stall between that service and now. I'm wondering if they went ahead and completely replaced the part if that would be the 100% fix for me, but while things are working okay for now, I won't worry about it until this issue returns for me... which I obviously hope it doesn't.

I totally agree that you running your rpms higher might be masking the underlying issue. Ever since my VCT solenoid was replaced, my Mustang has been running nicely ever since (many months now). It seems like those solenoids must be prone to clogging and maybe running at higher RPMs means that they always are a little more open, so that any clog doesn’t really impact things because now the solenoid is open slightly more. If this is the case, to me, it feels like there would be no harm in just basically “calibrating the opening” of this solenoid.

Or perhaps my understanding could be completely wrong and maybe masking this issue isn’t a good idea. Anyways good luck.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium

Did they have to cycle them manually (by hand) or is there some way to do it by doing certain things in terms of drive cycles in the vehicle? I've been dealing with this issue for a while, but I know my warranty won't cover it since I'm tuned and on E85. It has gotten a lot better since replacing my passenger side upstream o2 sensor but still presents itself sometimes. A KAM reset and crank relearn fixes it sometimes too but eventually it pops back up.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Did they have to cycle them manually (by hand) or is there some way to do it by doing certain things in terms of drive cycles in the vehicle? I've been dealing with this issue for a while, but I know my warranty won't cover it since I'm tuned and on E85. It has gotten a lot better since replacing my passenger side upstream o2 sensor but still presents itself sometimes. A KAM reset and crank relearn fixes it sometimes too but eventually it pops back up.
If you go back to stock tune and get 25 plus key cycles (on/off) the dealer should not see tune. I had 4000 miles on E85 and switched back to have my cam phasers replaced under warranty. Tuner has the idle higher and it has only died once since in past 7000 miles. Phasers obviously did not fix my issue though...

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you go back to stock tune and get 25 plus key cycles (on/off) the dealer should not see tune. I had 4000 miles on E85 and switched back to have my cam phasers replaced under warranty. Tuner has the idle higher and it has only died once since in past 7000 miles. Phasers obviously did not fix my issue though...
hmm so you are still dealing with it then. i've noticed it doesn't cause any other issues in terms of driveability or anything it's just annoying when it pops up. i wonder if i should just deal with it.

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
As for the VCT solenoid cycling, I'm pretty sure it was a manual process they did. It's listed in the TSB and they followed that TSB exactly from what my advisor told me which is why they only cycled them for me and didn't replace them (although I now wish they had replaced).

Last edited:

Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As for the VCT solenoid cycling, I'm pretty sure it was a manual process they did. It's listed in the TSB and they followed that TSB exactly from what my advisor told me which is why they only cycled them for me and didn't replace them (although I now wish they had replaced).
I wonder how hard it would be to replace them yourself

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
I wonder how hard it would be to replace them yourself
Someone who knows more than me would have to chime in for that one. Since I'm still under powertrain warranty, I'll just be hopeful the dealers can help with that when the time comes for me to call in.

For anyone who knows, this would be the correct part in question though, correct?
https://www.oemfordpart.com/oem-parts/ford-solenoid-br3z6m280e

Edit - I found an additional P/N to the one above:
https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Fo...-Timing-VVT-Solenoid/74958056/BR3Z6M280E.html
&
https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Fo...-Timing-VVT-Solenoid/64881712/HL3Z6M280A.html

Last edited:

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
My third visit they cycle the vct solenoids and gave the car back i did end up stalling but i was low on engine coolant ever since i max out the coolant I haven’t stall since (it’s been about two weeks) but i do still have the rough idles and rpms fluctuations i noticed when my car starts to rough idle my fuel/air ratio goes up and back down is there any tsb on fuel / air ration sensors?

Saleen90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
So it's been a week since I took my car to the dealer and it is acting up again with the same issue after they did a reset and update to the computer so I will be taking it in again this weekend. I will say though after the update my car has been shifting a lot smoother now.

Saleen90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Dealership service rep just called me today and said my vehicle will need the VCT solenoid replaced.

They have to order the part and it won't be in till this Thursday.
Sponsored