2019 Mustang GT Auto Very Rough Idle/Engine Stall

cacl109

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cesar
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 PP
Wow! I am having this exact issue. No CEL present, no stored code present, and car is having RPM issues on stop to the point where sometimes it stalls. I had the cam phasers replaced and got the car back on friday. Yesterday it stalled on me and I got it on camera

It is a 2018 GT PP. Hopefully we can swap the solenoids and see if that does the trick
Sponsored

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Wow! I am having this exact issue. No CEL present, no stored code present, and car is having RPM issues on stop to the point where sometimes it stalls. I had the cam phasers replaced and got the car back on friday. Yesterday it stalled on me and I got it on camera

It is a 2018 GT PP. Hopefully we can swap the solenoids and see if that does the trick
Yup I would try the VCT solenoids then and see how that goes. If it wasn't the cam phasers, hopefully it's the VCT then. Let us know if it turns out to be it.

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt

Wow than I’ll probably be expecting more stalls all they are doing is swapping out the cam phasers smh ford needs to get There shit together because i was experiencing the same issues as you how long did they take to change out your phasers?

cacl109

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cesar
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 PP
Wow than I’ll probably be expecting more stalls all they are doing is swapping out the cam phasers smh ford needs to get There shit together because i was experiencing the same issues as you how long did they take to change out your phasers?
Took almost a month for all the needed pieces to arrive (I am in Canada so that affects a bit with borders being closed) Swapping was like 3 days in the shop, but took so long to get here

Loboman777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Wow I’m surprised they replaced the phasers so quickly. That seems like a lot more work to do as opposed to checking the VCT solenoids first. The dealer can cycle those valves (Try to unclog them) and that might even help your problem so then you can feel confident Those are the issue. Good luck.

Sponsored

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
Took almost a month for all the needed pieces to arrive (I am in Canada so that affects a bit with borders being closed) Swapping was like 3 days in the shop, but took so long to get here
My car been at the service department for three weeks now it took 5 days for parts hope to get mine this Wednesday. Hope what they replicated the issue to be will stop the stalling and bad idling. Keep us updated with your issues man thanks! Common ford problem.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It’s prob VCT’s; common issue for some reason and Ford knows it because they issued the tech docs. Tell your Service Writer to reference the Ford docs I included in the links in this post earlier in this thread...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...y-rough-idle-engine-stall.143855/post-2952320

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Well, unfortunate news for me today. I was driving for a bit today and just around the end of the drive (for the first time in a very very long time), I felt a little bit of RPM fluctuation while at a light. It was pretty light, but noticeable nonetheless. Didn't think much of it since it was only for a few seconds and like I said this was the first time in a very long time and I was just outside my neighborhood.

Anyways within 5 minutes of that, I got inside my neighborhood and there is a stop sign right before you get to the automated gates and right as I was getting going from that stop sign to get to my gate, the car shut off (stalled) WHILE I WAS IN MOTION. Granted, it was at a very low speed since I was just coming from a stop, but even before it never stalled on me while I was in motion. It was always at a stop light after at least 5-10 seconds of the car being stopped. This time it shut down on me while I was approaching my gate. Thankfully it wasn't on a public road or even worse a highway, but I stopped the car immediately and put it in neutral and started it back up and drove back to my house.

Super disappointed here right now. Thought I was done with this bs. But I'm wondering if I need to get the VCT checked out again and possible replaced this time instead of just cycled like last time. That fix was working for almost 2 months now (service for that was on 7/22/20). Or I may also ask to get the cam phasers checked out since those seem to be the top 2 causes of this issue.

Hope everyone's car on this thread is still doing okay, but thought I would just write out my experience.

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Interesting note: I did add a JLT passenger-side oil catch can a few days ago and today was my first drive since doing so. I don't think there's any way that's related to me getting the stall today but it's weirdly coincidental. Unless anyone thinks otherwise?

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Interesting note: I did add a JLT passenger-side oil catch can a few days ago and today was my first drive since doing so. I don't think there's any way that's related to me getting the stall today but it's weirdly coincidental. Unless anyone thinks otherwise?
No because I installed my JLT oil catch can about 6 weeks ago and I havent notice any issues with stalling or rpms fluctuation at idle.

Sponsored

Loboman777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
No because I installed my JLT oil catch can about 6 weeks ago and I havent notice any issues with stalling or rpms fluctuation at idle.
I would push for replacement of the VCT(s). Since the cycling helped for 2 months, it is probably this. I’m sorry to hear about the car stall while in motion. That happened to me one time just as you described and was scary because I was on a public road with cars behind me. It made me really paranoid I would be going to make a left hand turn, the car would die, and I would get whacked by an oncoming car.
Just as a side note, I still haven’t noticed any problems, but I do get paranoid the other VCT will cause problems for me down the line since only 1 was replaced. Good luck.

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
I would push for replacement of the VCT(s). Since the cycling helped for 2 months, it is probably this. I’m sorry to hear about the car stall while in motion. That happened to me one time just as you described and was scary because I was on a public road with cars behind me. It made me really paranoid I would be going to make a left hand turn, the car would die, and I would get whacked by an oncoming car.
Just as a side note, I still haven’t noticed any problems, but I do get paranoid the other VCT will cause problems for me down the line since only 1 was replaced. Good luck.
Yeah it is super scary to think about. Did you have to come to a complete stop before starting back up or did you put it in neutral while rolling and start back up like that? I'm just trying to think ahead if something like that happens to me but I don't know if it would be a good idea starting the car while it's in motion like that.

And yeah I'll definetely push for a replacement this time around. Hopefully your fix sticks even with the one replacement, but keep us updated on if anything happens in the future to your car.

Anyone have any idea how much a VCT repair would cost out of warranty? I'm deciding if I should ask for both to be replaced while they have it. I'm gonna keep the car to myself for a little while for now though and see if the issue pops back up again, but I will be bringing it into the dealership sometime in the future.

Loboman777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Yeah it is super scary to think about. Did you have to come to a complete stop before starting back up or did you put it in neutral while rolling and start back up like that? I'm just trying to think ahead if something like that happens to me but I don't know if it would be a good idea starting the car while it's in motion like that.

And yeah I'll definetely push for a replacement this time around. Hopefully your fix sticks even with the one replacement, but keep us updated on if anything happens in the future to your car.

Anyone have any idea how much a VCT repair would cost out of warranty? I'm deciding if I should ask for both to be replaced while they have it. I'm gonna keep the car to myself for a little while for now though and see if the issue pops back up again, but I will be bringing it into the dealership sometime in the future.
honestly I panicked when it happened. I definitely wasn’t going very fast so I came to a complete stop and fumbled around on how to get it back on. From what I remember I put it in park and foot on the brake and pushed the button, just like a normal start. I’ve never had a car stall on me in my 15 years of driving so it was a shock.

cacl109

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cesar
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 PP
So an update for my issue. I just got a call from the dealership. They replaced the VCT Solenoids, and we are hoping that was the issue. I will update you guys in a couple of months. I am picking it up tomorrow! Can't really comment on people that are asking for prices, since mine was all under warranty, but they told me that each solenoid is around 60 Canadian Dollars and labor is like 3 hours whatever that means in money

LFtrip

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT RTR Spec 2, 2013 F150 Raptor SVT
My 2019 GT started doing this about a month ago and stalled on me for the first time Sunday. WTF Ford? This company really needs to get their shit together. Guess I’ll be taking mine in with this thread.
Sponsored