2019 Mustang GT 10 speed

PseudoWombat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
So I just got a 2019 mustang gt about two days ago with a little under 5,000 miles on it. I haven't ever had a car like this before, so I'm not exactly sure if this is me or the transmission or something else. When I'm slowing down, say at a stop light, the Trans will go from 5th to 3rd to 1st, and between each of those shifts is a slight jerk. It doesn't happen when accelerating, only when slowing down at a stop light. Is this me, or should I contact the dealership?
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The A10 is jerky in general, but alot of owners have had good luck with either a trip to the dealer or doing a KAM reset.

The dealer can either check the fluid level or flash to an updated tune software.

awhitegt86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
Run a couple of tanks of fuel through it, just drive it. It needs to learn your driving habits.
My number one complaint about road testers who drive the car 50 or 100 miles and bitch about the automatic trans. They're adaptive. They're clunky when they run on the basic strategy. You and your car need to get aquainted.

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Mine is a little jerky on decel too. It's pretty normal for this transmission.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Get to the dealer for the latest software update. This update plus the relearning test drive procedure should solve your concerns with slam down shifts and other harsh action. The A10 is an amazing tranny plus you get the remote start feature as a bonus.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Better than the Chevy shake in all their 2015+ Vettes and maros but yeah there are some aggressive downshifts and upshifts at times. Some hunting...

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Did you have it in drive or was it in another mode like (sport +) mode?

OP
OP
PseudoWombat

PseudoWombat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
They're adaptive. They're clunky when they run on the basic strategy. You and your car need to get aquainted.
Should I still get it reset at the dealership, like a few others have been saying, though I've only put around 350 miles on it so far

Did you have it in drive or was it in another mode like sport + mode?
This is just in normal mode, I haven't tested sport yet.

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Should I still get it reset at the dealership, like a few others have been saying, though I've only put around 350 miles on it so far

This is just in normal mode, I haven't tested sport yet.

Just drive it. It will learn your decel/braking habits and adjust within a couple hundred miles. No reset needed.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If you want to make the car learn your habits easier and ditch the hard shifts just do a simple kam reset yourself. Disconnect the battery, wait 30 minutes then reconnect. The dealer would do the same thing. There may or may not be a software update. The first start might have your idle a little off. Just let it sit a couple of minutes. Shifts might seem off the first drive, just drive easy until things smooth out.

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Out of curiosity, have you tried to decelerate more slowly? I would think if you slow down more slowly it might drop one gear at a time. Does it do it then too?

Keep us informed.

Curiously listening.

OP
OP
PseudoWombat

PseudoWombat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Out of curiosity, have you tried to decelerate more slowly? I would think if you slow down more slowly it might drop one gear at a time. Does it do it then too?

Keep us informed.

Curiously listening.
Its actually when I decelerate slowly that it's jerky. If I do a harder deceleration it's mostly smooth, though it still skips gears. The skipping is fine, I just wish it'd skip smoother lol. That being said, putting the car into sport mode, with the shifter, makes the car feel amazing. And makes it a bit smoother. I think I just need to keep driving it. But if it keeps up past say another 1000, I'll head to the dealership and see if it's an actual problem

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Its actually when I decelerate slowly that it's jerky. If I do a harder deceleration it's mostly smooth, though it still skips gears. The skipping is fine, I just wish it'd skip smoother lol. That being said, putting the car into sport mode, with the shifter, makes the car feel amazing. And makes it a bit smoother. I think I just need to keep driving it. But if it keeps up past say another 1000, I'll head to the dealership and see if it's an actual problem
I'm telling you, just reset the kam. Its easy, fast and you can start fresh. You'll notice a difference.

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
The ten speed is idiosyncratic. In D, normal and sport+ , its behavior is generally smooth. In normal, D skips gears and upshifts quickly, for economy, buttery smooth. I find that with the selector in S, sport+ mode is smoother than normal, especially when calling for downshifts.

The key to smoothly using paddles with the shifter in S is to not activate paddle-mode until the car autoshifts out of 1st gear. Using the paddle shift to take off from a stop and execute the 1-2 upshift, the change is excruciatingly delayed and then delivered embarrassingly harshly; best to let the computer handle that shift, rather than the paddles.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the S550 purchase.

1) Check the trans level
2) Try the KAM reset

If you don’t feel comfortable doing the above, your car is under warranty and the Dealer can do each without any cost to you.

This thread below has any and all of the A10 facts, tips, tricks and other info you could possibly need. The first post breaks out all of the facts, the rest that follows is input from 10R80 owners like yourself. It’s quite a large thread, but is very thorough and has helped many. There’s also good info in the first post about the 10R80 Trans modes vs. the “Drive modes”, which are 2 entirely different functions of the vehicle.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

Enjoy the car, once you get used to the 10R80, it’s a lot of fun.
Sponsored