Sponsored

2019 MT-82 lunges forward on upshifts

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Nobody is talking about luxury level seamlessness. But when one car is lunging forward rather violently, and another does not (under the same conditions) what does that tell you? I drove plenty other S550's and none of them exhibited such behaviour.
When shifting though, it is programmed to drop and hold about 500rpm on an up shift, regardless of current rpm. Is it doing that? If not, then you are correct, and there may an issue with rev match programming. That would likely be fixed with re-flashing the software (assuming the shifter and rpm data sensors are working properly)
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
it is programmed to drop and hold about 500rpm on an up shift, regardless of current rpm.
It's not dropping and holding - it's literally just holding RPM then the whole car drops. Example:

- shift 3rd
- rev to 6000 RPM
- clutch in > rpm held at 6000 > shift 4th > clutch out > rpm held at 6000 for another moment > rpm drops > car lunges

Lately I started noticing that it happens more often if I hesitated/lifted the throttle for a moment before getting to target RPM. Pedal is to the floor > let off slightly > tap the throttle a few times > floor it to get to 5k+ RPM. The worst part is sometimes the car lunges the same way when shifting from 3rd > 4th > 5th > 6th. Meaning I no longer accelerate after 3 > 4, I just clutch in and out for each gear. Doesn't happen often, but did a few times.

Another example of driving in the city:

- cruising in 4th @ 2000 RPM
- let off the trottle
- RPM held at 2000 from 1-3 seconds (exhaust is popping during this time) - car is NOT slowing down and continues to carry same speed
- RPM drops and the car starts to decelerate

Similar to the last example, I experience it in 6th gear on the highway.

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Isn't this a sign of the automatic no lift shift that the new PCMs do now where it keeps the throttle open when shifting over 5k?

I know ever since I got the PP2 tune on my 16GT that enables no lift shift at >85% throttle and >5000rpm doing the shift normally is a little funky as my timing interferes slightly with the NLS feature. I either have to do it very fast, or just let the computer do it's own thing. But if I try to do a semi-lazy shift past 5000rpm now it lunges a bit.
You know what, maybe you're onto something. I completely forgot that this is even a thing and I'm not keen on testing it either *cough* shift forks *cough*
Sponsored