Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Selo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Shelby GT500
If it's a slushbox of any kind you can have my place in line. I'll go out and buy a '91 Miata with 200k miles and ripped up interior instead. As long as it's a manual.
Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am not even trying to get in line for a GT500. I am still trying to find a dealer who has an allocation for a GT350 R that is not already spoken for.

A Faster Horse

Strongest Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
If it's a slushbox of any kind you can have my place in line. I'll go out and buy a '91 Miata with 200k miles and ripped up interior instead. As long as it's a manual.
They obviously will be offering manuals and automatics. Calm down, papa.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I wouldn't be so sure...........the reliable sources here seem to suggest DCT only. I'm happy with that, although it would be nice if they offered both.
Not offering a manual would be a mistake so I hope they have a manual and DCT option.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
The DCT I had in my EVO X MR was outstanding by any level as far as shift speed. Especially once it was tuned and had better fluids installed. However, I still felt very disconnected from it.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I wouldn't be so sure...........the reliable sources here seem to suggest DCT only. I'm happy with that, although it would be nice if they offered both.
Sad but true :(

Not offering a manual would be a mistake so I hope they have a manual and DCT option.
Not offering a manual wouldn't be as bad as offering a "manual only" (moneywise). A DCT would be faster on straight line ("Magazine-Test Faster") and it would have a broader "potential customer" (since around 80% of the people looking for "High Performance cars" get the Auto instead of Manual).

And you know this how? He said ten speed automatic, I added the A not having your knowledge of the dual clutch. How many speeds is the dual clutch?
It's been known by now. Last time I recall in a different post from this forum someone uploaded the "leaked by motorcraft CAD images", in those pictures you could see that the flex-plate was very different from the one the A10 uses (That wasn't for an A10, it was for a different "not manual" transmission, i.e. DCT7 speed).

So, I agree that your dealer is full of it.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Not offering a manual wouldn't be as bad as offering a "manual only" (moneywise). A DCT would be faster on straight line ("Magazine-Test Faster") and it would have a broader "potential customer" (since around 80% of the people looking for "High Performance cars" get the Auto instead of Manual).
I agree the DCT would appeal to a broader set of potential owners who can't drive a manual. With that said, not offering a manual as well will alienate some core buyers of previous specialty Mustangs. The new ZR1 shows there is still a place for manuals in high horsepower applications while also offering an auto option. A lot of folks don't mind giving up a little bit of straight-line performance to row their own gears.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Ford doesn't care much about alienation. Just look at their recent announcement to ditch much of their product line. There are quite a few that were happy with their Ford family sedans. They may go elsewhere now and Ford doesn't really care.

As to Ford offering both an automatic and a manual...when was the last time Ford offered a GT500 with more than one transmission choice (or Cobra for that matter)? They have run with a manual-only for a looong time. The Mustang GT will continue to be offered with a manual choice if you want to row gears and it looks as if there will be a '19 GT350 with one as well. As to the GT500, there wouldn't be any economies of scale benefit if Ford were to split GT500 production between two transmission choices. It would drive the cost of both choices up because production numbers just aren't high enough to offer more than one transmission.

I like manual transmission Mustangs as much as the next guy. I'm not going to shy away from a GT500 that comes with a DCT from Tremec and welcome the performance benefit it may have to offer.

In other news, I found a recent interview with Jim Owens (Ford Performance Marketing Manager) that Steve Turner from FordNXT did. In it there is a particularly interesting blurb...

Jim Owens said:
We’ve done this over a period of time with the various packages from Boss 302 to GT Cal Special to Pony Package to Shelby GT. There is a desire from the consumer that is strong enough to have those derivatives make both business sense and from the customer satisfaction sense to fulfill the demand. Whether it’s this new GT500 that we’ve teased, that has different levels of performance, or the GT350, that goes around the track and is participating in racing series, or the Pony Package, with a unique grille and unique wheels, there’s enough just demand and desire to make it your individual Mustang that you can spread it across performance, historical context, and then just cool stuff for the younger people who might not remember the ’60s. As long as that demand is there, you will see the plethora of choices from those derivatives that make financial business sense for Ford Motor Company and the enthusiasts benefit.
http://www.fordnxt.com/features/int...ford-performance-marketing-manager-jim-owens/

Different levels of performance...sounds like there will be some varying levels of track performance available - thankfully. Hopefully the highest level is just an option choice and doesn't have limited availability ala the GT350R.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I agree the DCT would appeal to a broader set of potential owners who can't drive a manual. With that said, not offering a manual as well will alienate some core buyers of previous specialty Mustangs. The new ZR1 shows there is still a place for manuals in high horsepower applications while also offering an auto option. A lot of folks don't mind giving up a little bit of straight-line performance to row their own gears.
LOL I think the price of the car will already alienate some core buyers...if not the ridiculous ADM that is sure to come.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Ford doesn't care much about alienation. Just look at their recent announcement to ditch much of their product line. There are quite a few that were happy with their Ford family sedans. They may go elsewhere now and Ford doesn't really care.
It's not that they don't care, Ford is a business and as such they will do whatever is in demand in order to profit and remain in business. Will they lose some buyers? Probably...but they've done the market research and would not have come to this decision just to "piss off sedan drivers".

Might be difficult to accept, but SUVs and Trucks are dominating sales markets...it makes economic sense for them to move in the direction that keeps them profiting. Don't take it personally...

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
They've made their business case - obviously. They are doing what it takes to make shareholders happy. That said (again), they don't not care if you are not happy about the rather large decision they just made. They know many will look to other manufacturers that will fill the void and Ford has no problem losing those customers.

Nobody has made the claim that the decision was made with the intent to "piss off sedan drivers." That's a potential byproduct and one Ford is willing to live with in order to cut losses.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
"We’ve done this over a period of time with the various packages from Boss 302 to GT Cal Special to Pony Package to Shelby GT. There is a desire from the consumer that is strong enough to have those derivatives make both business sense and from the customer satisfaction sense to fulfill the demand"

In that case then, where's the S550 Mach 1? I don't recall a desire from the consumer for a Mach 1 that's an electric SUV.......but a Mach 1 powered by a n/a 5.2 CPC V8 (with a choice of manual or auto trans ;) ) now that is a desire from the consumer :amen:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
"We’ve done this over a period of time with the various packages from Boss 302 to GT Cal Special to Pony Package to Shelby GT. There is a desire from the consumer that is strong enough to have those derivatives make both business sense and from the customer satisfaction sense to fulfill the demand"

In that case then, where's the S550 Mach 1? I don't recall a desire from the consumer for a Mach 1 that's an electric SUV.......but a Mach 1 powered by a n/a 5.2 CPC V8 (with a choice of manual or auto trans ;) ) not that is a desire from the consumer :amen:
There are many program managers and executives that literally don't care about anything regarding what is in the product other than making the most money. They quite literally say that they will put makeup bars in their CUVs if they'll make money. They don't give a crap about the enthusiast these days. It's a different Ford from even 4-5 years ago. Makes me sad.
Sponsored