Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
Believe me, there are no reactionary changes to products in this industry like that. Product plans and requirements are frozen 2+ years before production. Deviating is VERY hard and usually very expensive.

The '18 Mustang was revealed in Jan of this year. Plant production en masse started in September, with the very first plant builds only a couple weeks after the reveal. I see a similar timeline happening for a '19MY car. By the time the cars are revealed, they have finished all the engineering validation testing. Only final calibration changes and certification remain. All that's left is to integrate them into the plant, which includes bringing suppliers up to speed and production rate with quality, and addressing any fit, finish or build issues that come out of the pre-production builds (which usually start very soon after reveals).
Love the explanations and details for those of us who never worked in auto engineering/manufacturing. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Believe me, there are no reactionary changes to products in this industry like that. Product plans and requirements are frozen 2+ years before production. Deviating is VERY hard and usually very expensive.
I think you may have mentioned this too me before. It's been so long I forgot this was the case. Thanks for the update!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
gl

Exactly!

Enough with the track car stuff, the guys who wanted that have it now. Ford needs to get back to what the Mustang is and always has been and that is a muscle car in its premium grade. Give us meat eater Pony Car lovers the big balls that a car like this should have. Can't wait to get back to the real deal.
gl
Maybe we'll get some really cool engine tech......

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Testing again this week, both 2019 GT350 and 2018 GT500.

GT2 is nearly finished final testing.

An R Package for the GT is still possible next year ;)

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
In English please...
Two different cats were being tested.

We have photos of two Mustang's, both with covered brakes, one had a very, very unique scoop.

One is the 2019 GT350 and the other is a 2018.5-'19 GT500. The scoop is for two turbos mounted on top of the engine in a "Hot V" configuration. Like BMW's and AMG's Hot V, they will collect cool air from above the hood to keep the turbos in optimal temperatures.

The 2019 GT350 is probably testing a Carbon Brake Option as many suggest. They do that almost every year now but still haven't offered.

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse

The '18 Mustang was revealed in Jan of this year. Plant production en masse started in September, with the very first plant builds only a couple weeks after the reveal. I see a similar timeline happening for a '19MY car. By the time the cars are revealed, they have finished all the engineering validation testing. Only final calibration changes and certification remain. All that's left is to integrate them into the plant, which includes bringing suppliers up to speed and production rate with quality, and addressing any fit, finish or build issues that come out of the pre-production builds (which usually start very soon after reveals).
This feels like a deflection, though, and doesn't really invalidate [MENTION=22202]machsmith[/MENTION]'s opinion. Yes, it's difficult, yes, it is hard, but that doesn't mean it didn't or couldn't have happened. I have no reason to believe that Ford would release a new Halo variant of the Mustang after knowing full-well that it'd be significantly inferior to the Camaro's high-powered variants. Sure, it might cost a lot more money and time to make the changes, but it's fair price to pay if having the latest and the greatest is your plan. I don't think Ford will be shooting for second-best with the new GT500.

And I also don't believe that Ford anticipated for the ZL1-ILE, or it's performance prowess. it pretty much took everyone by surprise, since what the 1LE is right now is what a Z28 usually supposed to be. The ZL1 was only supposed to be a one-trick pony like the Hellcat.

And I find it interesting that Machsmith's take was on the upcoming GT500, but you went on a tangent about base Mustang's production timelines. I remember 3 years ago before the GT350 was officially revealed, we saw tons of spy shots and videos of it on the nurburgring with pretty revealing Camos. We were able to predict what the car would look like even before it was revealed solely based on the videos and spy shots Ford was pumping out. That was a car that was primed and ready for launch, I don't think the same can be said about the GT500. There is a reason Ford hasn't been as open about it, and I don't think that reason has anything to do with it being this super awesome vehicle that would rival a Mclaren. They more than likely had a few setbacks.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This feels like a deflection, though, and doesn't really invalidate [MENTION=22202]machsmith[/MENTION]'s opinion. Yes, it's difficult, yes, it is hard, but that doesn't mean it didn't or couldn't have happened. I have no reason to believe that Ford would release a new Halo variant of the Mustang after knowing full-well that it'd be significantly inferior to the Camaro's high-powered variants. Sure, it might cost a lot more money and time to make the changes, but it's fair price to pay if having the latest and the greatest is your plan. I don't think Ford will be shooting for second-best with the new GT500.

And I also don't believe that Ford anticipated for the ZL1-ILE, or it's performance prowess. it pretty much took everyone by surprise, since what the 1LE is right now is what a Z28 usually supposed to be. The ZL1 was only supposed to be a one-trick pony like the Hellcat.

And I find it interesting that Machsmith's take was on the upcoming GT500, but you went on a tangent about base Mustang's production timelines. I remember 2 years ago before the GT350 was officially revealed, we saw tons of spy shots and videos of it on the nurburgring with pretty revealing Camos. We were able to predict what the car would look like even before it was revealed solely based on the videos and spy shots Ford was pumping out. That was a car that was primed and ready for launch, I don't think the same can be said about the GT500. There is a reason Ford hasn't been as open about it, and I don't think that reason has anything to do with it being this super awesome vehicle that would rival a Mclaren. They more than likely had a few setbacks.
Believe what you want to, but they have some very good competitive intelligence people. Also, they've known what the HP spec of the Z06 Vette was for quite a long time (Jan of '14...it's easy to simulate HP based on even the info in the reveal), and knew that it would go in the Camaro. It wouldn't be hard to deduce that they'd do a track variant of it, like the Z/28 of previous (5th gen Z/28 had C6 Z06 engine). They have to get it right and not overrun the budget.

The tangent was to explain what a timeline actually looks like, and why no reveal has occurred yet. To your last points, what about the Ford GT? Very few people within the company knew about that car (and of those who knew about it, only a handful knew any relevant details or had seen what it looked like), and it took the rest of the car world by shock.

It's honestly :popcorn: for me reading opinions like this.

Sponsored

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
Believe what you want to, but they have some very good competitive intelligence people. Also, they've known what the HP spec of the Z06 Vette was for quite a long time (Jan of '14...it's easy to simulate HP based on even the info in the reveal), and knew that it would go in the Camaro. It wouldn't be hard to deduce that they'd do a track variant of it, like the Z/28 of previous (5th gen Z/28 had C6 Z06 engine). They have to get it right and not overrun the budget.

The tangent was to explain what a timeline actually looks like, and why no reveal has occurred yet. To your last points, what about the Ford GT? Very few people within the company knew about that car (and of those who knew about it, only a handful knew any relevant details or had seen what it looked like), and it took the rest of the car world by shock.

It's honestly :popcorn: for me reading opinions like this.
Unless you are saying the Ford GT is comparable to the new GT500, then that comparison doesn't really work here. GT500 is special, but not Ford GT special - Not any more special than a GT350, and Ford didn't hide it like an Easter egg before it was revealed. We all saw and heard the GT350 months before it was revealed. Why is Ford hiding the GT500? It's not like its going to be a mid-engined supercar, it's still a Mustang at the end of the day.

[ame]

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you are saying the Ford GT is comparable to the new GT500, then that comparison doesn't really work here. GT500 is special, but not Ford GT special - Not any more special than a GT350, and Ford didn't hide it like an Easter egg before it was revealed. We all saw and heard the GT350 months before it was revealed. Why is Ford hiding the GT500? It's not like its going to be a mid-engined supercar, it's still a Mustang at the end of the day.

Because Ford has cracked down on the amount of prototypes out public roads or in public spaces before official revealing. They were upset with how many shots the press got of the S550 and the GT350 before reveal. It is being tested at tracks and on the road, just not in the places people expect.

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
Because Ford has cracked down on the amount of prototypes out public roads or in public spaces before official revealing. They were upset with how many shots the press got of the S550 and the GT350 before reveal. It is being tested at tracks and on the road, just not in the places people expect.
One would think that helps create hype and buzz for the upcoming vehicle, but I guess not. It's not like they had problems selling the GT350 despite it being seeing by the public before official reveal. Just doesn't make sense, but I am sure there is a reason for it. :shrug:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
One would think that helps create hype and buzz for the upcoming vehicle, but I guess not. It's not like they had problems selling the GT350 despite it being seeing by the public before official reveal. Just doesn't make sense, but I am sure there is a reason for it. :shrug:
Honestly, there were just as few shots/videos of the GT350 before the 11/2014 reveal as there have been of this. Only after that did you see them testing in the open (at the 'Ring) freely.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
As reported, traditional roots-type superchargers would not fit the new Port Direct Injection system. Whipped designed an "Upside down" unit and Roush/Ford developed an "Off-set" system. Here is what Whipple had to say about the new Port Direct Injection.

"The [other main] issue was the implementation of the direct injection system...this took critical space in the valley of the block where we made such tremendous gains on the previous year.” The new direct injection setup “took up valuable real estate for the down facing intercooler of years past.” When they switched to the front feed setup in 2015, not only was just the inlet relocated but Whipple redesigned the intercooler and manifold to be larger and more efficient than the previous years’ design, increasing both horsepower and flow exponentially."

As shown in the spy pics, the GT500 cools its intercoolers from a hood mounted scoop. It is an Ecoboost V8.
Sponsored