Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
I met him at a Ford event, kinda one time deal. I got his contact info, so Ill see if he says anything further.
So you met a guy one time and he is divulging info like this and violating all of the non-disclosures he has signed and risking his career just to tell Joe Blow some info? That's crazy. I've known a guy who is a family friend for years and he barely gives me any details for fear of losing his job.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
It makes zero sense though. Was the GT500 not thought of during the S550 engineering process? All the other ford performance cars have TT. Where they thinking just V6TT? The forethought was not good IMO.

I'm glad its gonna be a V8 SC. Forget the v6 until we absolutely have to eat it.

I get the mustang supposed to be affordable, but look, we go from a 67,000 car to a 450,000 car in the line up? There were 5,000 applications for the 450K GT.
Why couldn't there be a a 100K range car? Why not a car to rival the corvette? Are they afraid of making more money? GM is building a mid engine segment, a totally different car than the corvette, in addition to it. It will do well as long as we don't have nukes hitting us.

Last edited:

Ponyboy4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Vehicle(s)
2004 GT Premium
It makes zero sense though. Was the GT500 not thought of during the S550 engineering process? All the other ford performance cars have TT. Where they thinking just V6TT? The forethought was not good IMO.

I'm glad its gonna be a V8 SC. Forget the v6 until we absolutely have to eat it.

I get the mustang supposed to be affordable, but look, we go from a 67,000 car to a 450,000 car in the line up? There were 5,000 applications for the 450K GT.
Why couldn't there be a a 100K range car? Why not a car to rival the corvette? Are they afraid of making more money? GM is building a mid engine segment, a totally different car than the corvette, in addition to it. It will do well as long as we don't have nukes hitting us.
I've thought the same thing myself for years. Why doesn't Ford make something like the Corvette? Hell, Dodge even had the Viper and yes it was more expensive than a Vette, but it was freaking awesome. Seems like Ford has never taken advantage of that area in the market. Even the previous-gen GT was in the $150k range, before ADM, which was still well above any Corvette or Viper pricing at the time. I'm sure they have their reasoning for not doing it, but it seems like lost sales to me.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
the demon touches 100K... I guess ford things the mustang crowd can't afford a 100K mustang. I don't believe that to be the case. I digress...

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
It’s like BmaciL said, there’s just too much needed to change the structure of the car to accept the snails.

The thing about the 350 is that despite the various CF bits and pieces it can still share the same tooling and assembly line, in general. I’m not so sure a TT setup could do that.

Sponsored

hated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 gt500
I've thought the same thing myself for years. Why doesn't Ford make something like the Corvette? Hell, Dodge even had the Viper and yes it was more expensive than a Vette, but it was freaking awesome. Seems like Ford has never taken advantage of that area in the market. Even the previous-gen GT was in the $150k range, before ADM, which was still well above any Corvette or Viper pricing at the time. I'm sure they have their reasoning for not doing it, but it seems like lost sales to me.
Because that area of the market (viper )does not sell. Ford is a about making money. If it doesn't make money it won't be made.

cobra1320

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Cobra
My fear is the benchmark has kept changing with the ZL1 and Demon, causing Ford to delay the release while it updates the performance specs. Hopefully it does not get killed by the bean counters before it gets released.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My fear is the benchmark has kept changing with the ZL1 and Demon, causing Ford to delay the release while it updates the performance specs. Hopefully it does not get killed by the bean counters before it gets released.
That's not how auto product development works in the 21st century. They don't care about the Demon. It's a one-trick pony. They knew the output of the ZL1 long before it was released because of the Z06 vette, and they have all sorts of models that can predict, with pretty good accuracy, what a Hi-Po LTx engine would do.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Because that area of the market (viper )does not sell. Ford is a about making money. If it doesn't make money it won't be made.
Dodge did OK with the viper, its being killed off, not because it didn't sell that well. I'd never buy one just because I didn't like the look of it.
Corvette does just fine and they are even going to add an additional model.
Its OK ford doesn't want to go down that road. I own stock in ford, but I'm not afraid to go elsewhere for my purchase.

Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Dodge did OK with the viper, its being killed off, not because it didn't sell that well. I'd never buy one just because I didn't like the look of it.
Its OK ford doesn't want to go down that road. I own stock in ford, but I'm not afraid to go elsewhere for my purchase.
Before they killed the Viper off, they weren't selling them at all.

Those cars aren't mass produced, even at 5 per day they had to throttle production.

Once they announced they were getting rid of the Viper, they started selling again.

If they could sell them, they would continue to do so.

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
Before they killed the Viper off, they weren't selling them at all.

Those cars aren't mass produced, even at 5 per day they had to throttle production.

Once they announced they were getting rid of the Viper, they started selling again.

If they could sell them, they would continue to do so.
The viper lagged in sale due to the philosophy behind it. Unlike the Corvette, the Viper was analog. It had no automatic trans option, launch control, or any of the technology we have come to expect from today's super sport cars. The Viper had a reputation of being brutal and unforgiving, a sports car only for purists and enthusiasts. Compare that to the Corvette which is an easier to live with and "cool" sports car, a sports car you don't have to be an enthusiast or experienced driver to appreciate.

The viper would sell if Dodge brings it back as a sensible easy-to-live-with 21st century sports car, and design it to appeal to a broader audience - not just folks longing for that early 90s sports car experience.

hated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 gt500
Gm sells more corvettes in 1 month than vipers dodge has sold in the past 3 years. That is a good reason for its demise, and a better reason not to compete in that market.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
the demon touches 100K... I guess ford things the mustang crowd can't afford a 100K mustang. I don't believe that to be the case. I digress...
You know what though Jim,........this car will hit 100K with the ADM and possibly more! Look at brand new GT350R cars, they are 100K and more. :crazy:
I'm hoping to get one, but we shall see.
I'm guessing this car to cost about 75-80K. (Before ADM, of course.) Any others agree or disagree?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Gm sells more corvettes in 1 month than vipers dodge has sold in the past 3 years. That is a good reason for its demise, and a better reason not to compete in that market.
Disagree, i think it could do well. In fact, im not the only one who thinks so, so does GM. They are going to build a seperate mid engine car, indepedent of the corvette. If it fails, then maybe ill believe it couldnt work for ford.
Sponsored