Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Wow!

Screams of carbon fiber weight savings to me. This, combined with other weight cutting measures means that they are seriously working towards significant weight reduction. Maybe that sub 4K car may happen
So I did some digging (I love numbers) and I can confidently say we’re talking MAX a 50% weight reduction from the cluster/panel.

In my example, the study shows multi material application and pure carbon. The weight savings on a mid size sedan was around 15 pounds, primarily coming from the support crash beams and other pieces. They tried to minimize part numbers, weight and cost.

The instrument panel started at 84 pounds. In the mustang if the whole piece is roughly 85 pounds and it becomes composite we’re looking in my best estimate 20-30lbs of reduction. A start but more of a showpiece rather than exceptional engineering (cost prohibited).

Please see this study, it’s actually a great (longer) read.

https://inldigitallibrary.inl.gov/sites/sti/sti/6492855.pdf

Page 33 on the PDF for a weight table.
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Hybrid composite instrument panel
TN is it fair to assume since the patent was just filed that we won’t see this on all the GT500s, potentially just the R?

I’m not sure how the tooling and prototypes work but I know the patent usually comes first after the CADs and simulations. Then the trials and testing.

Mind you there isn’t much to test with this thing, except crash rating. Correct?

Did ford crash the Gt350 with the new GOR?

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
TN is it fair to assume since the patent was just filed that we won’t see this on all the GT500s, potentially just the R?

I’m not sure how the tooling and prototypes work but I know the patent usually comes first after the CADs and simulations. Then the trials and testing.

Mind you there isn’t much to test with this thing, except crash rating. Correct?

Did ford crash the Gt350 with the new GOR?
Or maybe for the 2022 S650 Mustang (?)

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
So I did some digging (I love numbers) and I can confidently say we’re talking MAX a 50% weight reduction from the cluster/panel.

In my example, the study shows multi material application and pure carbon. The weight savings on a mid size sedan was around 15 pounds, primarily coming from the support crash beams and other pieces. They tried to minimize part numbers, weight and cost.

The instrument panel started at 84 pounds. In the mustang if the whole piece is roughly 85 pounds and it becomes composite we’re looking in my best estimate 20-30lbs of reduction. A start but more of a showpiece rather than exceptional engineering (cost prohibited).

It won’t be a significant weight loss but could be a good sign towards additional weight loss. Also it does add a lot rigidity to the front end.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Didn't chevy do this with their instrument panel already? I saw somewhere another car manufacturer had done it.

The Hybrid.pdf also shows an illustration of the sunvisor dome light/roof area (Fig. 3). I can't imagine that saving a whole lot of weight, but its on the "front" of the car, and high up. The instrument panel also on the front and relatively "high".

I think ford is trying to get the car better balanced / closer to 50/50 weight distribution, and also lowering center of gravity.

Ford has been decreasing weight in the important "targeted" areas... They did a great job with the GT350 and GT500 by finally going to 2-piece rotors (decreases rotational/unsprung mass). And the radiator support on the GT350 helped take weight off the very front of the car to help get closer to 50/50. They're definitely working on the right things with the halo cars. It will be nice to see those improvements get moved over to the mainstream cars, like the previous Halo cars' 4-piston Brembos made it to the Performance pack cars, etc.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Yes, I get all that, but 30 pounds here, 30 pounds there, and it adds up to less weight. Last I heard was a 4100# car, and now I am seeing an attempt to bring that weight down by any and all means.

Get this baby down to under 4000# and then it becomes serious. (3900#, but I know that's probably not realistic keeping it at a certain price point).

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang

Thats actually pretty good for a single component like that. You'd be surprise d at what 5% here and there can add up too. And a lot can get invested in just saving a small amount on a lot of parts. It definitely adds up.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Thats actually pretty good for a single component like that. You'd be surprise d at what 5% here and there can add up too. And a lot can get invested in just saving a small amount on a lot of parts. It definitely adds up.
Agreed. In a new platform, absolutely, the resources and time are available to make these revisions in material composition and allow tooling changes.

In our scenario, bigger bang for the buck options are required.

I think we’ll see:

Carbon dash
Carbon coil springs
Carbon front cradle

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Carbon coil springs
Really? Has any other manufacturer made a spring from carbon fiber? Without knowing anything about it other than basic/general materials information, I wouldn't think that carbon fiber would function well in a coil spring. Maybe a torsion spring, though?