2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Discussion in 'Shelby GT500 Mustang' started by Jarstang, Jun 27, 2017.

1. ttime500

ttime500 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Corvette Z06
    0   0   0
    Really, wow I had no idea it was so much. Well I hope they use a good a aluminum wheel that can make the difference roughly 20-25 lbs then do some CF on the frame to save another 125-150+ lbs.

2. machsmith

machsmith Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda Minis
    0   0   0
    It will be interesting to see where they use the carbon fiber.
    Like this thread states the DCT could be standard on this car and not even have a manual option, though I'd find it hard to believe.
    If that's the case, it will need to start out with that price in mind.
    I still don't see a supercharged GT500 that's going to compete with the zl1 being more than 10k over their price - loaded for loaded.
    A twin turbo v8 - THAT is ☆ different ☆ than the competition. I could see that bringing an extra 10k into the mix.
    So basically if a zl1 is 73k loaded I could see a TT gt500 in the high 80s.

3. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350
    0   0   0

Light wheels make a big difference in acceleration, but also in handling and ride quality, which is more difficult to quantify. Any/every part of a car that gets used will get damage over time. I agree with trying to save more weight, but I think the CF wheels are a significant part of the reason why the GT350R has gotten such terrific reviews.

I think CF wheels are a really great idea. They won't corrode like aluminum. Since they are painted you can bodywork scratches out and repaint.

J_Maher_AMG and SVTDSM like this.
  4. machsmith

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda Minis
    0   0   0
    I'd be pleasantly surprised if this new GT500 or KR version is 3900 lbs or less. Would be a total BEAST at 3900- and 800HP. 300 lbs less than the demon without any passenger seats, but it may take ripping out the rear seat of the GT to be able to get that weight.
    Either way...60 hp right there if ford can get it to 3900 which I'm sure isn't impossible.
    My 350R is 3600 lbs so if there can be a few other weight saving measures, the super charger/intercooler/lines/ coolers/ fluids shouldn't be over 300lbs...but it depends on that DCT.
    Could you imagine a 3800lb 800hp car in stock form...yikes!.. not impossible but very difficult and pricey. 800hp with a DCT = 1 quick mother.

GT500TT likes this.
  5. ProblemHouston

ProblemHouston Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1965 Mustang Fastback GT350 replica
    0   0   0
    CF front fenders and truck lid to start. Maybe the roof after that. Then mover over all the carbon composite items from the 350 and put a different style CF wheel on it as well. With all of that I wouldn't be shocked at a $80-85k base sticker.

gearhead2685 and machsmith like this.
  6. tws123

tws123 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang gt premium
    0   0   0
    your probably right! when I was thinking of price I was working with a base gt350 at a msrp of 56 then add a10 and tvs for a msrp of around 70. I wonder what cost difference is between a10 vs dct tvs vs turbos and aluminum vs carbon fiber wheel? I just hope the cars power to weight ratio is .2 or 5lbs per 1 horsepower.

GT500TT likes this.
  7. machsmith

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda Minis
    0   0   0
    Doing all that I'd force the check into their hands.

GT500TT likes this.
  8. GT500TT

GT500TT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Porsche turbo
    0   0   0
    +1

9. ttime500

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Corvette Z06
    0   0   0
    I really don't know that CF wheels are that big of an advantage. They did a test of the 350 vs the 350R and it was only marginally faster and that was with less weight the more aggressive suspension settings, wing, CF wheels and probably the biggest advantage is the tires on the R.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15917

After reviewing (link above) of what materials they used, I think they could save a lot of weight incorporating CF to the frame and a CF roof would really help lower the center or mass. Also CF hood and fenders would be good as CF is a little better at handling heat then aluminum.

10. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350
    0   0   0
    You are correct. You don't know. I don't either. You could be right as those other components do make a difference in how the GT350R functions. I still believe that super light wheels have much less inertia and road feel/handling will be significantly improved.

Everyone who has reviewed the GT350 and GT350R has said that the GT350 is great, but don't drive the R first or you will want it.

The Mustang is a unibody car. There's no frame to replace with CF.

CF is not better at handling heat than aluminum. That's why there is a ceramic coating inside the front CF rims on the R to shield the CF rim from the brake heat. The regular aluminum GT350 rims don't need that shield. To be super detailed about it, the actual carbon fibers can handle heat, but the epoxy component in the carbon fiber rims doesn't handle heat nearly as well.

J_Maher_AMG and Twin Turbo like this.
  11. 68fbjjz109

68fbjjz109 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    15' GTPP
    0   0   0
    That's is little to nothing to be gain from C.F. front fenders. The aluminum ones are extremely light.

There is talk about CFRP cradles which. That coupled with forged aluminum links would really help the mustang.

It's a pretty weight efficient car with how little light weight materials are used on it in comparison to the camaro.

That will help tip the weight scales back intonyhe mustang corner.

If they don't augment pick up point to the body, it could be a viable weight solution for the 15' and up cars.

12. ttime500

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Corvette Z06
    0   0   0
    Good info on the CF epoxy not being able to handle, I didn't realize that. To me it looks like it is a unibody car but assembled in a lot of areas where they can replace some of it with CF. what about going to an aluminum unibody, probably is it too late in the S550 production for that though.
    As far as the 350R being a better experience that doesn't surprise me at all it's not the wheels that do that though. Its the whole car, it looks more aggressive, has more aggressive suspension, and it has a more aggressive louder exhaust which most people are going to make a much more emotional connection to.
    Your right the wheels do increase feel but there is a very marginal performance gain.
    Also, you said that they can fix scratches on CF? Are you just talking like our light scratch? I've always heard once the CF gets damage it's done because it's too difficult to repair.

13. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350
    0   0   0
    Since the CF rims on the GT350R are painted, scratches can be sanded, filled and repainted.

Yes, I'm not talking about fixing a broken wheel. Just light scratches from normal usage that age the appearance of the wheel.

machsmith likes this.
  14. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Rotating mass reduction, especially of the magnitude of the R's wheels, is a very significant performance gain and handling improvement. It will change direction faster, accelerate faster, brake faster and will have better control of the body of the car because it has less unsprung mass to deal with. The dampers can be retuned specifically for the reduced unsprung mass. You're definitely understating the improvements light wheels can provide.

15. ttime500

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Corvette Z06
    0   0   0
    I guess I'm undervaluing the gain, I know it helps turn faster and helps improve handling. But I'm pretty sure if you put SC2 tires on a 350 it would have identical 0-60, 1/4 times even with the additional weight. I'd love to see a 350R test with CF and without but same tire. I just find it odd that it's such a "massive" benefit but high performance cars and exotics aren't using them.

16. machsmith

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda Minis
    0   0   0
    On the track it would be a better rim for sure. Your not gonna see a ton of gain going down strip
    Im guessing the KR or race version will come wirh the Carbon rims. Perhaps maybe the regular version and/or drag pack car may not. The difference from the carbons going down the strip is probably - .05 or .1 Still, better than nothing but for track duty....lap after lap of 1 second gain from carbons can really be noticed.

I love the look of the carbons, they feel light and the feed back from the road is incredible.

You ever fish with a fiberglass pole? No sensitivity.... put a carbon pole in your hands.. feel that sensitivty. Now, some of the other steering components soak up some of that feel but there is still a lot left.

J_Maher_AMG and ttime500 like this.
  17. ttime500

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Corvette Z06
    0   0   0
    You guys are probably right it makes sense on a track car such as the 350R or a special edition race oriented car.

18. machsmith

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda Minis
    0   0   0
    Im guessing that the standard version wont have the carbon rims.
    Hoping there are a few packages to choose from.

GT500-

Base Coup 755 HP(with or without electronics)
    Convertable 755 HP (with or without electronics)
    Track pack (carbon bits rims and wing - no back seat) 755 HP
    Drag pack 755HP (carbon bits no back seat ) key to unlock 808 hp.
    All with variable exhaust...
    pack cars have resinator delete.

GT500TT likes this.
  19. 1320'

1320' Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2011 Avenger...sadly
    0   0   0

Yep..

Take a look at how much of the Mustang, even the GT350's, substructure, suspension components and such is made out of heavy cast components and such.

Now take a look at the Camaro and how much aluminum and "composite polymers" are used.

You'll see the Mustang still has quite a bit of area to trim some heft..of course..at a price.

machsmith likes this.
  20. Stage_3

Stage_3 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 GHIG Roush Stage 3
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    I like where you're going with this Jim!!!!
    :thumbsup:

machsmith likes this.