Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mule? Front Gills/Louvers

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I really hope they don't put that stop/start technology or the cylinder deactivation in the new GT500. I really hope they don't. That takes away from the brute of the car. Imagine pulling up to a stop light in a GT500 and the engine cuts out?! :lol: What am I driving, a Prius?!? LOL No thanks. (I do understand that it can be turned off with a button. I think I read somewhere that the new F150's have this feature.) Same with the cylinder deactivation. I'll pass on that. I don't think the Hellcat or ZL1 have either of those, which in my opinion, is the way it should be for a brute of a car.
That would definitely be a "con" in my book if either of those become a reality in the new GT500. :headbonk: :(
This is just my opinion.
If they did that it would probably only be in like an "eco" mode or something. The corvette has an eco mode and it has cylinder deactivation in that mode.
Sponsored

SlowShelby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Grabber Blue GT500
Not being facetious,.......but how would Ford make a 800RWHP Mustang and still keep it emissions and miles per gallon compliant? :shrug:
I was speaking in the hypothetical of modding a new gt500. The long rumored 2.65l blown 5.2 should make plenty of poeer once it is modded.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Sure nobody 'wants' that but it could be the reality, especially if this car gets the precious semi automatic DCT that everybody seems to want (that will probably make up most of their planned volume).
Yeah,......I might do a "pass" then. More than likely. We'll see. I really hope it does not have either cylinder deactivation or stop/start. I would love a 10 speed automatic though.
I'm pretty sure that the new ZL1 with the 10 speed automatic and no stop/start and no cylinder deactivation.

If they did that it would probably only be in like an "eco" mode or something. The corvette has an eco mode and it has cylinder deactivation in that mode.
You're right. I forgot about that. So doesn't the Camaro SS, if I am correct. I don't know, just something about cylinder deactivation that takes away from the rawness of the car. I really hope neither cylinder deactivation and stop/start finds it's way onto the new GT500.

I was speaking in the hypothetical of modding a new gt500. The long rumored 2.65l blown 5.2 should make plenty of poeer once it is modded.
I must have misread what you wrote. I thought you wrote that Ford could make it 800rwhp.
My bad. :headbonk:

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I hate that cylinder deactivation. Going down the interstate and running on 4 cylinders and then want to speed up quick and a 2 second pause happens before it goes into 8 cylinder mode. How lovely that is. Same thing with auto start...that should be modal switch. Once I shut it off it stays off until it's turn on again BY ME!
Only way I'd get one with cylinder deactivation is if it's a large displacement NA.
I'm not getting the supercharged car, No matter how good it is unless it has a DCT, maybe not even then. Just doesn't sound appealing, but things could change, we'll see. Ill still like to see it kicking hellcat and zl1 ass even if I don't want it

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I hate that cylinder deactivation. Going down the interstate and running on 4 cylinders and then want to speed up quick and a 2 second pause happens before it goes into 8 cylinder mode. How lovely that is. Same thing with auto start...that should be modal switch. Once I shut it off it stays off until it's turn on again BY ME!
Only way I'd get one with cylinder deactivation is if it's a large displacement NA.
I'm not getting the supercharged car, No matter how good it is unless it has a DCT, maybe not even then. Just doesn't sound appealing, but things could change, we'll see. Ill still like to see it kicking hellcat and zl1 ass even if I don't want it
Cylinder deactivation is linked. So ONLY in "eco" mode does it work, in tour, sport and track its V8 all the time. I've honestly never used it and don't intend on using it ever. It's simply a way to get better efficiency for cafe.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Cylinder deactivation is linked. So ONLY in "eco" mode does it work, in tour, sport and track its V8 all the time. I've honestly never used it and don't intend on using it ever. It's simply a way to get better efficiency for cafe.
I had a 392 challenger and it had the deactivation with no mode to switch it off. Unless you used the autostick. It was dumb, I was glad to be rid of that tinfoil with a motor in it.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I had a 392 challenger and it had the deactivation with no mode to switch it off. Unless you used the autostick. It was dumb, I was glad to be rid of that tinfoil with a motor in it.

Oh man that would be terrible. Ya now that is solvable.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
My 2016 Ram Sport 4X4 regular cab has the MDS, (multiple displacement system), and it cuts to a 4 cylinder when cruising around town. I am saving a ton on gas and if I want, I can disable it every time I turn the truck back on again by pushing some buttons on the steering wheel. I HATED the MDS at first, but slowly got used to it.
There is a pcm swap that will disable it permanently along with tunes if you want, but I'll pass on that because of the extended warranty I purchased.
I definitely wouldn't want that on my toy vehicle though.
Ford,.........please do not use cylinder deactivation or stop/start on the new GT500! lol :D

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I don't mind them putting stuff like stop start on things as long as it's something that CAN be turned off AND on again when WE decide. Not on every time we start the vehicle.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I don't mind them putting stuff like stop start on things as long as it's something that CAN be turned off AND on again when WE decide. Not on every time we start the vehicle.
That's the thing Jim. I'm pretty sure that the stop/start and cylinder deactivation are default set-ups and are on at all start-ups.
I don't like that. At all. :tsk:

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I know how you feel. I live it with my raptor every day. I can disable it in about 10 minutes but I'll just keep hitting the stop start off button.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
That's the thing Jim. I'm pretty sure that the stop/start and cylinder deactivation are default set-ups and are on at all start-ups.
I don't like that. At all. :tsk:

I'm not sure on start/stop but I know cylinder deactivation can be connected to drive modes and removed from driving.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yes, but drive modes will also default to normal when ignition is turned off. It seems it will always require some form of bypass switch after start up for cars here forward...from ford anyway.
I like sport mode in the raptor, it doesn't do auto of/on.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Yes, but drive modes will also default to normal when ignition is turned off. It seems it will always require some form of bypass switch after start up for cars here forward...from ford anyway.
I like sport mode in the raptor, it doesn't do auto of/on.
If that's how ford does it that's terrible engineering. My car can be set to start in whatever mode I want, so I'll always have it default to sport mode so never have to worry about being in cylinder deactivation mode.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yeah, I agree, it's BS. Not engineering but some form of pleasing CAFE in one form or another. They THINK it will prevent you from turning them off every time, getting better gas mileage in return, or perhaps the mileage was listed with it having stop start turned on. I turn mine off every time I get in the truck. I have averaged 16.8 MPG according to my truck. That's with a lot mixed driving over 3000 miles. I suppose with it on I would have gotten maybe 1 mpg better.

Yep, I'd like to keep my 350 in sport mode too... shut if off...defaults to normal. It is really annoying stuff man... thing is..its only a 4 year term. I'll get a tune to shut that crap off after warranty is up.
Sponsored