2019 GT350 Upgrades: Tech, Aerodynamics and Other GT500 Track Improvements

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
The changes look good to me. With regards to where the R stands - I think Ford may have simply been doing what other performance car manufactures try to do several years into a cycle. That is, make improvements to a given model while delicately straddling the line of improving it enough to generate new interest, while not too much that it detracts from the next package up - in this case the R.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Harold, could be wrong but suggest that their will be an R model for the 2019MY.

:gossip:
A mutual friend of ours says it is so. Expect an R model of the 350 for '19 MY to start being built once the plant resumes production following their mid-summer shutdown.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
There are no real downsides to "Blank" rotors, and they greatly improve pad life compared to slotted or drilled rotors.

The damper and (ESPECIALLY) the ABS re-calibrations are significant. Trail-brake rotation!
Can earlier model years be reflashed with the new calibration?

On EDIT: See this question was already asked....asking again :thumbsup:

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
A mutual friend of ours says it is so. Expect an R model of the 350 for '19 MY to start being built once the plant resumes production following their mid-summer shutdown.
I guess the question remains as to whether the R will get upgrades also then? I'm sure the upgraded interior (wrapped dash, CF interior upgrades, stereo, etc.) would certainly happen. The most intriguing question is how they are going to improving on the R platform as a track car.

I just don't see them adding all of these upgrades to the Non-R while leaving the R alone performance wise.

Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Harold, could be wrong but suggest that their will be an R model for the 2019MY.

:gossip:
If you take a look at those paint swatches from the other thread, they list GT350R separate from GT350 as a model. So I suspect Harry is correct. Here is one:
A7B9DC36-88A0-4559-B9E2-196BC44A0BE6.jpg

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
WOW!! I love the changes and it really pleases me that Ford decided to do some updates on the GT350.

Should be interesting to find out how many of them are sold.

No listed engine changes... I'm glad there will be more Voodoos out there.
Yup, very cool. Ford is doing a great job with wheel and spoiler/splitter design recently!

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So hang on, I m a bit confused. I thought GT350 was this limited production run with flat plane crank celebrating 50th anniversary, yada yada yada..... What happened just now?:)

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
The most intriguing question is how they are going to improving on the R platform as a track car.

I just don't see them adding all of these upgrades to the Non-R while leaving the R alone performance wise.
Oh you can bet now that you've had your R for what, a week after a 10+ month wait, that they'll announuce HUGE upgrades to the MY19 R. :lol:

Sorry bro, couldn't help myself, that's usually my kind of luck. Either way, the MY15-MY18 R will always be a timeless classic and I feel lucky to own one.

When we going to see some pics (or did I miss them)?

Sponsored

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
The changes look good to me. With regards to where the R stands - I think Ford may have simply been doing what other performance car manufactures try to do several years into a cycle. That is, make improvements to a given model while delicately straddling the line of improving it enough to generate new interest, while not too much that it detracts from the next package up - in this case the R.
Spot on. I just hope they make some killer upgrades to the R.. but not "too good" to hurt the value of mine. :D

To be honest, if I was looking at a new R at this stage, I'd be waiting to see what the GT500 is going to offer... the potential there is very exciting to me. At about $70K for an R now, plus added interior and Stereo upgrades for MY19, I'd be willing to bet you'd be in $75K+ (Plus ADM) territory, so where does that put the price of the GT500 at?

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
Well, I'll admit I was wrong when I thought 18 was going to be the last year. So be it and happy to see the car continue realistically. I would like to know if I can have the dealer upgrade the ABS & magneride programming on my 17 R. I wouldn't mind grabbing a wrapped center console with red stitching if Ford doesn't charge out the ass. I will say I don't particularly care for the new wheels but thats me. Also they need fog lamps like the 18 GT/CJPP kit to be standard IMO

Now to see what they do if anything for the 19 350R. Its about time they ditched the vinyl stripes. Although I wonder what they are going to do for R cars since the stripes are flat. Having flat painted stripes would really bump the cost.

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I guess the question remains as to whether the R will get upgrades also then? I'm sure the upgraded interior (wrapped dash, CF interior upgrades, stereo, etc.) would certainly happen. The most intriguing question is how they are going to improving on the R platform as a track car.

GT350 with lots of tweaks to make it not just faster around a track, but easier to drive, too..... that’s according to Carl Widmann (GT350 Chief Engineer).
He continued by saying:
"We spent the time on new tires and everything that goes with new tires, with the goal of making a car that's easier to drive for the nonexpert … more drivable and more linear through the limit."

Widmann did not disclose just how much quicker the 2019 GT350 is thanks to all these changes, but he says that the improvements do bring its performance closer to the even more aggressive GT350R.
The GT350R also continues for 2019, but without any changes at all.

strikes2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda S2000; 2017 LB Mustang GT350
So hang on, I m a bit confused. I thought GT350 was this limited production run with flat plane crank celebrating 50th anniversary, yada yada yada..... What happened just now?:)

Reminds me of when I bought my S2000 back in 1999. Was supposed to be a limited edition to celebrate Honda's 50th anniversary. There was always a rumor that it was 3 year run, then a 4 year run, etc.....The reality became they kept making them until they didn't sell well anymore.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Ok now... At this point I have a very good reason to believe that 2019 will not be the last year either. I mean if I were Ford would I go through all this trouble with the upgrades for only one year? When this type of refresh happens it is almost always the case you have at least a 2 year run or so :shrug:
Sponsored