PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share what happened with my GT350 this week, so here goes.....

Something is seriously wrong with my beloved Voodoo motor.

Firstly, some background about the car:
- 2019 MY GT350, Oxford white with blue stripes
- Purchased in September 2020
- Car has 2166 miles on the odometer
- Broken in properly for the first 900-1k miles, with an oil change at 940 miles. However I do not baby the car. I drive it like it was built to be driven. That being said I am meticulous with my maintenance. I check the oil every other time I drive the car, and every time I fill gas in it. I never beat on it until it's warmed up to at least 180F. It hasn't consumed a drop of oil since I bought the car, leading me to believe I had one of the tighter motors out there.

Anyways, coming to what happened on Tuesday, March 2, I took the car out for a drive (as usual), and drove around the Nashville area for ~70 miles. While rolling up to a red light in neutral, near the downtown area, my engine suddenly cut out without warning.

No check engine light, no noise, nothing. It happened so quickly, I did not get a chance to see the oil pressure gauge when it went out.

I roll up to the red light and try to start the engine. The starter motor whirrs, but the engine does not fire up. I give it 30 seconds and try again, with the same results. I hear the starter motor whirring, but no response from the engine. I call my insurance company's towing service. We then flat bed the car to the nearest Ford dealership. The service advisors were nice to me, and asked me to wait while they get the shop foreman to check out the car.

Now here's the strange thing - they push the start button without depressing the clutch (to turn on ignition) and electronics come to life. No check engine light. They plug in their scanner into the OBD2 port, and the car doesn't throw any codes. They then try to start the engine - and it starts up. However it makes this knocking noise - a metallic rattling, clanging noise, seemingly from one of the cylinders.

The service advisor says that they need to keep the car to find out what happened, contact Ford, and come up with a path forward. In the meantime, they have no loaners so I am stuck at home for the most part as this is my only car. I am respectful of their time and bandwidth, but I am super anxious, and cannot wait for them to let me know what is going on. They told me today that they will try to turn the crankshaft manually to check if the engine seized or not, but I have not heard back from them yet.

I absolutely love this car - it is the most expensive car I have owned, and I am completely heartbroken that this happened especially considering how meticulously I took care of it. I really enjoy driving it. During it's 2000 mile life (till date), I never once got any indication that something was wrong.

I have seen many of the posts about issues with the voodoos, particularly the '19s and '20s going out prematurely, and I hope mine isn't one of them (even though I think it may be going that way). I am not sure how much the resale value of the car is going to take a hit. Some people say that they wouldn't care if it has a replacement motor without matching numbers, others say they wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot long pole.

Either way, I hope Ford makes it right and comes up with a fix that gets my car up and running.

I am not trying to knock on anyone, neither am I suggesting that this means that something is wrong with anyone else's engine. I know nobody likes to read long posts about bad news like this, but I really wanted to share this with you guys. If any of the moderators need the VIN to confirm the car's identity, I will be happy to provide it.

I will keep y'all updated.

image_6487327-2.JPG
image_6487327.JPG

Edit (March 24):
Called the dealership about updates - they tell me the new engine is here (pic below). However they say that the technician is busy as he has 2 other engines to work on ahead of mine, and that he will get to mine by March 31.
E95287DF-A0FB-4255-BB00-317C9A9989BF.jpeg

Edit (March 25):
I call the CSR to get updates from her end. She is not aware of the engine being deivered to the dealership. I inform her of that, and also express my displeasure and how I am disappointed with this situation. She says that she can work with me to get me an extended warranty, but she can start discussions on that after I have taken delivery of the repaired car.
However, I ask her to request for a buyback. She asks me for a few more details (where I bought the car, when I bought it, mileage, etc.). Funnily enough, she asks me if I bought the car new or used šŸ˜…
Either ways, she submits the buyback request on my behalf and tells me that the RAV (Re-Acquired Vehicles) team will get back to her, letting her know of approval or denial of the buyback within 5 business days (by Wed, Mar 31).

Edit (March 31): RAV team should have made a decision by today. However I received no update.

Edit (April 3): CSR calls me today to tell me that the RAV team has still not reached out to her or made a decision. I tell her that today is the 30th day of my dropping off my car at the dealership - triggering my stateā€™s lemon law. Then sheā€™s like - let me contact the dealership and see where they are with the repair. She hangs up with me to contact them.
She calls me back and tells me that they havenā€™t started working on the car. Apparently theyā€™re ā€œmissing a gasketā€ and can start working on the car only when they have all the parts.
They apparently ordered the gasket, but the shipment was delayed. They now expect the repair to be complete on the week of the 5th (April).

I have been as understanding and respectful as possible, but I am starting to get slightly disappointed now. The dealer takes a week to diagnose the issue, then Ford takes over a week to approve the warranty repair, then they take another week to ship the engine (this one, I am okay with). The dealership then tells me they have the engine and everything to complete the engine swap - only to figure out a week later that theyā€™re missing a gasket. I understand that theyā€™re busy and Iā€™m respectful of their bandwidth - but I canā€™t help but feel this could be done quicker and more efficiently.
Sponsored

Last edited:

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share what happened with my GT350 this week, so here goes.....

Something is seriously wrong with my beloved Voodoo motor.

Firstly, some background about the car:
- 2019 MY GT350, Oxford white with blue stripes
- Purchased in September 2020
- Car has 2166 miles on the odometer
- Broken in properly for the first 900-1k miles, with an oil change at 940 miles. However I do not baby the car. I drive it like it was built to be driven. That being said I am meticulous with my maintenance. I check the oil every other time I drive the car, and every time I fill gas in it. I never beat on it until it's warmed up to at least 180F. It hasn't consumed a drop of oil since I bought the car, leading me to believe I had one of the tighter motors out there.

Anyways, coming to what happened on Tuesday, March 2, I took the car out for a drive (as usual), and drove around the Nashville area for ~70 miles. While rolling up to a red light in neutral, near the downtown area, my engine suddenly cut out without warning.

No check engine light, no noise, nothing. It happened so quickly, I did not get a chance to see the oil pressure gauge when it went out.

I roll up to the red light and try to start the engine. The starter motor whirrs, but the engine does not fire up. I give it 30 seconds and try again, with the same results. I hear the starter motor whirring, but no response from the engine. I call my insurance company's towing service. We then flat bed the car to the nearest Ford dealership. The service advisors were nice to me, and asked me to wait while they get the shop foreman to check out the car.

Now here's the strange thing - they push the start button without depressing the clutch (to turn on ignition) and electronics come to life. No check engine light. They plug in their scanner into the OBD2 port, and the car doesn't throw any codes. They then try to start the engine - and it starts up. However it makes this knocking noise - a metallic rattling, clanging noise, seemingly from one of the cylinders.

The service advisor says that they need to keep the car to find out what happened, contact Ford, and come up with a path forward. In the meantime, they have no loaners so I am stuck at home for the most part as this is my only car. I am respectful of their time and bandwidth, but I am super anxious, and cannot wait for them to let me know what is going on. They told me today that they will try to turn the crankshaft manually to check if the engine seized or not, but I have not heard back from them yet.

I absolutely love this car - it is the most expensive car I have owned, and I am completely heartbroken that this happened especially considering how meticulously I took care of it. I really enjoy driving it. During it's 2000 mile life (till date), I never once got any indication that something was wrong.

I have seen many of the posts about issues with the voodoos, particularly the '19s and '20s going out prematurely, and I hope mine isn't one of them (even though I think it is going that way). I am not sure how much the resale value of the car is going to take a hit. Some people say that they wouldn't care if it has a replacement motor without matching numbers, others say they wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot long pole.

Either way, I hope Ford makes it right and comes up with a fix that gets my car up and running.

I am not trying to knock on anyone, neither am I suggesting that this means that something is wrong with anyone else's engine. I know nobody wants to read long posts about bad news like this, but I really wanted to share this with you guys. If any of the moderators need my VIN to confirm the car's identity, I will be happy to provide it.

I will keep y'all updated.

image_6487327-2.JPG
image_6487327.JPG
Sorry to hear..... Iā€™d be interested if they discover you dropped a valve or busted a ring in cylinder 8.

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350
Sorry to hear..... Iā€™d be interested if they discover you dropped a valve or busted a ring in cylinder 8.
Would it still start up though? - with a dropped valve or a broken ring? Would that explain the knocking metallic noise?

Sponsored

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
Would it still start up though? - with a dropped valve or a broken ring? Would that explain the knocking metallic noise?
Yes yes and yes to your questions, sorry for your trouble, hope you get it fixed fast.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350
Sorry to hear and I hope it gets fixed quickly. Do you drive it year-round?
Yes it is my daily! I was in California before this, and recently moved to Tennessee - so the car never saw snow.

KevinO.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby gt350
So sorry to hear this. Hope itā€™s something stupid and a easy fix. I wish you the best of luck..šŸ‘

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Sorry to hear, that sucks. Would be nice to link up with another Nashville local with good taste in car and color combo - got my fingers crossed for you to get it resolved quickly and as painlessly as possible. Which dealer are you going to?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
That's horrible. Sorry to hear it's been a pain for a car you enjoy so much.
Sponsored