Sponsored

2019 GT350 Engine Failure @ 2170 miles

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@PRTK350

Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing. Let’s clarify a few things for you, since this is a stressful time.

1) If the engine is replaced under warranty by Ford AND the vehicle Owner is not going through any Ford RAV Buy Back, NO it does not affect the title to the vehicle at all - ever.

2) If the engine in any Mustang S550 is replaced under warranty, it’s no longer a “numbers matched” engine as it does not and will never have the VIN as the original did. For Shelby owners, yes this can be detrimental for future resale value regarding the car being numbers matched. I’m not going to get into all that here, because there’s way too many threads about this subject matter.

3) If any Warranty work or repair work is completed at any Ford Dealership, that work history can be pulled up in Ford OASIS or ETIS.

4) A vehicle can only be branded a Lemon IF the vehicle Owner went through a Buy Back. Once the vehicle owner has been approved for a Ford RAV Buy Back, has signed all paperwork and they return the car to Ford - the car is deemed a Lemon. It’s not so much a title being branded as a Lemon, the VIN will forever be branded as a “Lemon Buy Back”, which will show up on any future VIN reports, within Ford OASIS/ETIS, in any DMV database within any State and via any extract the Automotive Insurance Industry uses.

—-

If you want to learn more about the Ford RAV Buy Back process, or have questions about filing a claim with Ford, do a search on here using the following key words:
Ford RAV
Lemon Law
RAV Buy Back
MSRP to MSRP
Ford Buy Back
Ford 800#

I’ve posted TONS of factual info regarding the Buy Back process in full, as well as helpful Lemon Law info that has helped quite a few folks on this site.

There are also 2 main threads I’ve started to help others:
1) Lemon Law thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...or-are-filing-lemon-law-for-their-s550.59015/

2) Ford 800# thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/the-ford-800-info-for-those-needing-it.111571/

If you have not, you NEED to call the Ford 800# and get a Regional CSR to open a Case with your vehicle. This bumps your vehicle to a priority and the CSR and Dealership Service Center must try to resolve the issue ASAP and work to make you whole.
Sponsored

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Any updates about being given a loaner vehicle or being reimbursed for a rental?

I know if something happened to my GT while it's still under warranty that would be my immediate concern as it's my daily.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
How many times are you guys going to go through this. FORD has sold way to many of these 350s for them to be collector cars for a very long time. Second it's still a small percentage of failures for such a high performance car and how many they have sold. Now as soon as some one has a problem it's on the net, that's really all that has changed.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
OP Dont listen to anyone who tells you that your car is going to depreciate 25% if ford replaces the engine. Most buyers will not care one iota.
Its absurd to say that a $80k Shelby is worth $63k because of a dealer installed engine replacement.
The only reason these cars would depreciate at that rate is accident damage.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
From what I've seen on here, it seems most of the low mileage failures result from a dropped valve. Why that is happening, I have zero clue. But I'd bet $1 that's what happened to you and why you observed what you did. Interestingly enough GM is having the same issue with the C8 Corvette and the new LT2 engine.

Hopefully they get it fixed quick for you and get you back to having fun. I wouldn't worry about the loss of value at this point, they made a bunch of these cars and it's not that rare of an issue despite what people on here will say. Plenty of other "devalued" examples out there. If a motor makes it past 10,000 miles it will likely run for the rest of the lifetime of the vehicle. Manufacturing or assembly defects have a habit of showing up REAL quick.

I'd love to know who the hell is making valve springs these days..

My brother's 2021 6.2 Denali dropped a valve at 250 kms (two hundred and fifty) Drove it into the dealership rattling and clanging. GM pulled the head, replaced the valve and that was it... all good apparently. The truck will be traded in before the warranty runs out but I feel sorry for the next owner.

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Hello; I posted in a different thread on this site a while back. I will post a copy that post in this thread. First let me say I do hope the OP gets his car back in very good condition with a sound engine. I do not know what to think about the value with a replacement engine.
I am shopping for a more base GT so my ambitions are not the same as those of you with a 350. I did drive and make an offer on a low mileage GT350 a couple of years ago of 50K but was turned down. I liked the car but came to realize I do not need that level of performance.

Now here is what will likely be an offensive notion to many of you. I like the chassis and looks of a 350 and would be satisfied with a lesser engine if I knew it would be more reliable but still have some decent power. I do hope I am wrong but have been thinking at some point Ford will not be replacing these engines and some owners may be looking for something to put in a good chassis. I hope you all can forgive me for having such a notion. I mean no harm. Old post follows.

Hello; Been following this and other threads for a while. At first I was hoping to find out how common engine failures are. I now know that sort of information is unlikely to find. A question occurred to me. If a person found them selves with a good chassis and a blown Voodoo, Coyote or ecoboost engine, what might be a good replacement engine?
I guess there will have to be some conditions. First would be no factory or other warranty to fall back on.
Second would have to be money is a factor sort of situation. Where a person cannot afford to or is not willing to put back the same type of engine which had just failed. Maybe because they no longer trust the engine or the cost of an exact replacement is high.

In the old days finding a different replacement engine was not a problem. My firs car was a 57 Chevy four door with a straight six. When the six went bad I found a small block V8 and stuck it in. No problems. For example there is currently a thread running about an eccoboost engine failure in a Mustang, but the same sort of question applies to a late model Mustang with a Coyote or Voodoo V8. Is there an aftermarket or crate engine which can be used in place of the factory original?
I am thinking in some ways of the engine management systems as well as the possible better reliability of the replacement engines. May be the case that the computer management system built into a chassis will not allow a substitute.

I get that some swaps would be more desirable than others. Replacing an eccoboost four or a V6 with a V8 might be thought of as a step up. While replacing a Coyote or a Voodoo with a different V8 might be considered a step down. This is not exactly the question I am asking, although I do get as to how replacing a Voodoo with a Voodoo might be the preference, there may be other factors in play. let me make up an imaginary situation. Say a fellow has a decent V8 engine sitting in a shop out of a totaled wreck and a clean Mustang chassis and with a blown Coyote or Voodoo. Can the swap work without a lot of trouble or are things today such that a swap like that is not workable or maybe not even legal?

Is this is a dumb question?

Q
No.
A few have replaced their voodoo with a Cross plane 5.2
A couple of options are the 5.2 alluminator or the FPS 350 (may no longer be available ).

Here is a link to member here who swapped the latter .
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-gets-a-new-fp350s-crate-engine.150672/

link to Alluminator
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A52XS

Neither option is cheap .

Last edited:

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
I'd love to know who the hell is making valve springs these days..

My brother's 2021 6.2 Denali dropped a valve at 250 kms (two hundred and fifty) Drove it into the dealership rattling and clanging. GM pulled the head, replaced the valve and that was it... all good apparently. The truck will be traded in before the warranty runs out but I feel sorry for the next owner.
Yes GM does have valve spring trouble also. I was in GM dealer a while back where my brother works and he was replacing spring on a new GM truck. He said he replaced one at 120 miles and
was changing the second one at 185 miles.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'd love to know who the hell is making valve springs these days...
Posters talking about "dropped valves" in the 2019/20 Voodoo are misspoken. The actual failure is that a valve head, usually an intake, detaches from the stem in one cylinder. The detached head then bangs around in the cylinder and gets jammed up into combustion chamber at random angles where it destroys the piston, the head and even the block as the engine continues to run (badly) on 7 cylinders.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
No.
A few have replaced their voodoo with a Cross plane 5.2
A couple of options are the 5.2 alluminator or the FPS 350 (may no longer be available ).

Here is a link to member here who swapped the latter .
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-gets-a-new-fp350s-crate-engine.150672/

link to Alluminator
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A52XS

Neither option is cheap .
Hello; Thanks for the links. I see what you mean about cost. Let me ask part of my question again. With a late model chassis there is a built in computer control system. Am I correct in thinking that only some replacement engines can be plugged in and be made to work, or are there ways around this?
I figure the OP will be made whole in terms of having a running car and a good engine and is good for the rest of his mileage and warranty span. So no need to get too deep into my question if it is complicated.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Hello; Thanks for the links. I see what you mean about cost. Let me ask part of my question again. With a late model chassis there is a built in computer control system. Am I correct in thinking that only some replacement engines can be plugged in and be made to work, or are there ways around this?
I figure the OP will be made whole in terms of having a running car and a good engine and is good for the rest of his mileage and warranty span. So no need to get too deep into my question if it is complicated.
Hate to hijack OP’s thread . Send me a PM .
I am no expert but I can answer some of your questions.

Sponsored

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
OP Dont listen to anyone who tells you that your car is going to depreciate 25% if ford replaces the engine. Most buyers will not care one iota.
Its absurd to say that a $80k Shelby is worth $63k because of a dealer installed engine replacement.
Hey there I wasn’t trying to under value the car in any way, I was sharing my experience with sellers with engine swapped issue and I as a first time buyer of this beauty was skeptical about buying those particular situation cars.
if there’s a car that’s stock VS a car with a swapped engine for the same price, which one wound you buy (preferably)
That should answer the price drop.
again that’s my opinion, you could have yours but it’s tough to believe that they would have the same value as stock, no offense I’m just sharing my thoughts 💭

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
OP, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I know how it feels. I'm hoping it's not a catastrophic failure and your car doesn't need an engine replacement. Keep us posted. I went through an engine failure on a new 2020 and, thank God, Ford bought it back from me. Since you're planning to sell car, expect to lose $$$$ whether Ford buys it back or you end up selling it or trading it yourself. Ford will not pay for any ADM or after market mods, like paint protection. I lost money on paint protection, mileage (per lemon law), and other expenses.

Here's my take from my experience:
  • Follow @Cobra Jet advice above. I read his posts about the buyback process and it served me very well.
  • If you want to sell the car, there's no question that a Ford buyback is your best option. If Ford agrees to buy it back, it will pay the MSRP plus all out-the-door fees, including taxes, registration, title, etc. If you sell it yourself, you will lose the taxes and fees plus depreciation.
  • There's no question that the car will lose value due to engine replacement. I did a lot of research and based on other members' experiences selling their cars with replaced engines (I read at least 4 stories here) and comments on online auction for GT350's with replaced engines, expect to lose 10+% of its otherwise market value.
  • The replaced engine is anonymous (doesn't come with builder plate) and will not match the VIN. Regardless if you care about matched numbers or not, that builder plate after engine replacement means nothing because the replacement engine was most likely built by someone else.
  • Whether you are successful in getting a buyback heavily depends on Lemon Law rules that Ford will follow. Ford will have to figure out which state's Lemon Law will apply to you. You can contact the Better Business Bureau to get advice. Ford also has a Good Faith program that may help even if you don't hit the Lemon Law limit. You'll just have to try all options.
  • If you are not successful with a buyback and you still want to sell the car, negotiate a monetary compensation with Ford instead of an extended warranty. Get the maximum value you can. Again, BBB may help negotiate a better monetary reward for you. I believe the reward will help you in a sale better than an extended warranty or service plan. @jvandy50 lost money on his replaced-engine car even with extended warranty.
I admire your attitude that you will be forthcoming and tell the next buyer about the engine replacement, whether it's reported in Carfax or not. For the record, the dealer service center does not have to report it. There's no legal obligation to do so whatsoever. But they get incentives, ad referrals, and kickbacks from Carfax for reporting it.

Hattrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2018 GT A10.
AND on the other side of the coin i bought a lemon law buyback car with 4800 miles on it and a new engine for over $10k less than market. Since im an old guy and have two kids to pass it on to i liked the deal. Have about 9k miles on it now with no problems.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
actually once the collective buying community is no longer infatuated with the GT350, the mean-reversion is going to be brutal.

Do I care that a car has a freshly installed engine? Not one brass farthing. Will I screw the seller as hard as I can? You betcha'.