Sponsored

2019 GT350 Engine Failure @ 2170 miles

Hattrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2018 GT A10.
I bought a car that had the engine replaced at 4800 miles for High oil consumption , the title is branded Lemon Law Buyback
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
hahaha
The reason i say that is because I jus bought a 2019 myself and when i was in the market for the 350 i came across 2 sellers with the same issue and were asking 20% less than market and I added another 5% for negotiations
Thatā€™s INSANE dude!!!!

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I bought a car that had the engine replaced at 4800 miles for High oil consumption , the title is branded Lemon Law Buyback
Just curious what you estimate your discount to have been compared to similar non-buyback cars?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I posted in a different thread on this site a while back. I will post a copy that post in this thread. First let me say I do hope the OP gets his car back in very good condition with a sound engine. I do not know what to think about the value with a replacement engine.
I am shopping for a more base GT so my ambitions are not the same as those of you with a 350. I did drive and make an offer on a low mileage GT350 a couple of years ago of 50K but was turned down. I liked the car but came to realize I do not need that level of performance.

Now here is what will likely be an offensive notion to many of you. I like the chassis and looks of a 350 and would be satisfied with a lesser engine if I knew it would be more reliable but still have some decent power. I do hope I am wrong but have been thinking at some point Ford will not be replacing these engines and some owners may be looking for something to put in a good chassis. I hope you all can forgive me for having such a notion. I mean no harm. Old post follows.

Hello; Been following this and other threads for a while. At first I was hoping to find out how common engine failures are. I now know that sort of information is unlikely to find. A question occurred to me. If a person found them selves with a good chassis and a blown Voodoo, Coyote or ecoboost engine, what might be a good replacement engine?
I guess there will have to be some conditions. First would be no factory or other warranty to fall back on.
Second would have to be money is a factor sort of situation. Where a person cannot afford to or is not willing to put back the same type of engine which had just failed. Maybe because they no longer trust the engine or the cost of an exact replacement is high.

In the old days finding a different replacement engine was not a problem. My firs car was a 57 Chevy four door with a straight six. When the six went bad I found a small block V8 and stuck it in. No problems. For example there is currently a thread running about an eccoboost engine failure in a Mustang, but the same sort of question applies to a late model Mustang with a Coyote or Voodoo V8. Is there an aftermarket or crate engine which can be used in place of the factory original?
I am thinking in some ways of the engine management systems as well as the possible better reliability of the replacement engines. May be the case that the computer management system built into a chassis will not allow a substitute.

I get that some swaps would be more desirable than others. Replacing an eccoboost four or a V6 with a V8 might be thought of as a step up. While replacing a Coyote or a Voodoo with a different V8 might be considered a step down. This is not exactly the question I am asking, although I do get as to how replacing a Voodoo with a Voodoo might be the preference, there may be other factors in play. let me make up an imaginary situation. Say a fellow has a decent V8 engine sitting in a shop out of a totaled wreck and a clean Mustang chassis and with a blown Coyote or Voodoo. Can the swap work without a lot of trouble or are things today such that a swap like that is not workable or maybe not even legal?

Is this is a dumb question?

Q

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350
Do a quick search here for others like me that have received some form of compensation for their trouble with an early engine failure. I received an extended 7 year warranty (100K miles if IIRC) plus a 4 year maintenance agreement. Open up a claim with Ford. You will be contacted by a CSR to help you through the process. Be firm but professional, it worked out for me.
How do you open up a claim with Ford? Does it have to go through the dealership, or should I wait until the dealer completes their 'diagnosis'?

Sponsored

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350
Unfortunately It will impact value of the car for up to 20 to 25% for sure man, sorry to hear what happened to you car, jus saw the thread, hopefully at the end of the tunnel there is light.
Good luck and keep us posted
Whoa! šŸ¤Æ

20%??????????? That's almost 10k! Daaang!

This seriously sucks..... I mentioned before in the thread that I was planning to sell the car due to some unfortunate circumstances. This is going to make it all the more unfortunate. shoot.

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350
Wait....... - how does an engine replacement give a car a lemon title?

Isn't there a legal process for lemon law buybacks? If my car gets a lemon title, my already screwed resale value will be toast.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Wait....... - how does an engine replacement give a car a lemon title?

Isn't there a legal process for lemon law buybacks? If my car gets a lemon title, my already screwed resale value will be toast.
If Ford buys the car back from you, then they brand the title as a lemon buyback and they resell it. If they replace the engine and you keep the car, the title doesnā€™t change.

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350
With all this discussion about the resale value of my car tanking, I requested a quote from the car buying site Vroom. They just asked if my car has a branded title (to which I said no, assuming my engine swap wouldn't give it one). They gave me a quote just a couple of thousand away from what I bought the car for!

I am wondering how a replaced motor would affect these sales - either online car sites or dealer trade ins...

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
If vroom Buys your car the same day you get it back from Ford I can see where you wonā€™t lose much at all. But once you drive it for say 10 or 20 days, Carfax reports the motor change then thatā€™s a different story.
Technically youā€™re not cheating anybody itā€™s a brand new engine by Ford

Sponsored
OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350
If vroom Buys your car the same day you get it back from Ford I can see where you wonā€™t lose much at all. But once you drive it for say 10 or 20 days, Carfax reports the motor change then thatā€™s a different story.
Technically youā€™re not cheating anybody itā€™s a brand new engine by Ford
But then if Carfax does report the motor change, will vroom care?
When I requested the quote, they just asked me if the car had a branded title or not. They didnā€™t ask anything about maintenance, repair or warranty work done on the car.
Safe to assume that they donā€™t look at warranty work?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
But then if Carfax does report the motor change, will vroom care?
When I requested the quote, they just asked me if the car had a branded title or not. They didnā€™t ask anything about maintenance, repair or warranty work done on the car.
Safe to assume that they donā€™t look at warranty work?
Vroom won't care. A dealer might, but they give crappy trade in values anyway. Private party, I'd say it's a toss up on if a buyer will care or not.

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Ugh. Just bought a new 2020 GT350. I Hate hearing this.
I need to stop reading the internet...

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Ugh. Just bought a new 2020 GT350. I Hate hearing this.
I need to stop reading the internet...
Hello; I have been reading and searching trying to get some idea as to how often these failures happen. Best I can come up with is the information is not yet available.
Another thing I gather is to keep any warranty killing mods off the cars and follow the warranty rules.
Some have gone as far as to buy extended warranties that go beyond the factory five year/60,000 mile powertrain. I gather this should be done before the 36/36 warranty runs out.

I also suspect if the engine lasts in the tens of thousands of miles without trouble it may go on but apparently not enough information about this so far.