2019 GT PP1 wheel and tire questions

bakerjw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Good day, all. I sold my 1998 Mustang GT 5 years ago. With March incentives, I have a new one in the drive. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Sickening how good IMHO. Grabber green with the black racing stripe. I normally don't like green on a car; however, this one looks very sharp.

Anyway. It has 19" rims and good IMHO Michelin summer tires. They are great but this will be more of a daily driver and I have no plans to take it to the track, so I am looking at picking up some new rims and less aggressive tires as it will be a daily driver for the most part.

What are common sizes used for rims 19x?? With the Brembo calipers can they fit a 18x?? rim?
Are rim sizes the same for front or rear?The tire sizes are a bit different 275/40R19 and 255/40R19
What offset should be used for front or rear?
Are these the standard 5x4.5 lug pattern?

Still gathering information but I know that someone has gone this route before.
Thanks
Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Congrats on the new car!! Fronts are 19x9 and rears are 19x9.5... Honestly I would just run em. That is what I am doing with mine. The tires are great! At least no complaints from me. No need to change them at all honestly. And for what you would get to sell em as new take offs, I would'nt mess with it. I love the performance pack wheels... Wish the rears were at least 19x10 minimum but whatev. And yes, 5x4.5 .

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
If you want different wheels, that's one thing, but the Pilot Sport 4S tires that come on the PP1 are not a dedicated track tire and are excellent on the street, including the wet. They're not like the Cup 2's that come on the PP2. Run em!

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I got the '19 PP1 and it's just a daily driver and the tires are great. That said, I don't know what the longevity on these is as I only have about 4000 kms on them (barely drove the car all summer, then switched to winter tires in the fall, and just put the summers back on now). Does anybody know what kind of life I can expect out of the tires? When these wear out, I am willing to sacrifice a little bit of grip for much longer life. I drive like a grandma in order to avoid tickets (already got 2 tickets on my motorcycle) and it's kind of a waste to have such good tires when I'm not gonna take advantage of them.

To answer OP's other question, 18" wheels will not fit over the front brakes. Even some 19" rims won't fit.

OU81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Leave the Michelins on it. They are not dedicated track tires. My 19 PP1 is a dd with 23,000 miles. They are great tires. I have driven through a tropical storm with mine with everything including 18 wheelers off in the ditch & the car was glued to the road. The rears still have alot of tread left. The fronts are about to need replacing as the inside edge on these cars wears bad due to excessive toe. The rest of the tire is perfect but the inside. When I replace them I am going to have some toe taken out of it in hopes to get more mileage out of them.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with the above. The stock tires are fantastic warm weather daily tires and are exceptional in warm/wet conditions. For sub-freezing condition, you should consider all seasons instead.

If you for some reason did want to sell the stock wheel/tire package either or aesthetics or some other strange concept of what a daily tire should be you have some options.

Very few 18" wheels will fit over the stock PP1 front brakes, but there are a couple. APEX EC7 should fit.

I'd recommend a 9,5" wide wheel or a 10" wide wheel on all four corners. A 10" wide ET 35 or 40 offset will fit well as a "square" all-four corners fit. A 9.5" ET30-35 will also fit and be pretty flush to the fenders. 19x10" square setups are very common for our cars and there are a ton of good strong rotary forged/spun-forged/flow formed options out there at good prices. Just avoid heavy and softer cast wheels (like the factory PP1 wheels) if you can avoid it.

For tires, the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 is a good cheaper summer tire, but its inferior to the tires you already have in the wet and really the MP4S is a premium tire that's hard to match.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
The fronts are about to need replacing as the inside edge on these cars wears bad due to excessive toe. The rest of the tire is perfect but the inside. When I replace them I am going to have some toe taken out of it in hopes to get more mileage out of them.
When I pulled my stock set at 15k miles I noticed the same thing with the inside edge of the front tires. It wasn't that bad yet, but I could tell they were wearing faster than I'd like. Now that I have new tires I'll definitely be looking into an alignment to hopefully help with that some.

2kblacksleeper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT
Another question for you is, Do you plan on driving this in the winter with snow as well?
Sponsored