2019 GT PP1 1st gear weird spinning noise

mediumrare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hi everyone, this is my first manual car so I really have no frame of reference for how certain gears are supposed to feel and what is normal but I am hearing a strange spinning/whooshing sound when I drive the car at slow speeds in first gear (1500-2500 rpm) and sometimes in second gear. Cruising around in first gear it kind of feel like there is resistance and the car is dragging something while there is that slight spinning sound. It almost feels like something is not fully engaged, but if I upshift or rev higher the sound and feeling goes away. Is this just how low gears normally feel? The car only has 3k miles and I did some test for clutch slip and I don't think It's doing that. I realize the Mt-82 is a noisy and quirky transmission but I am slightly paranoid since I am learning to drive manual on it.
Sponsored

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Hi everyone, this is my first manual car so I really have no frame of reference for how certain gears are supposed to feel and what is normal but I am hearing a strange spinning/whooshing sound when I drive the car at slow speeds in first gear (1500-2500 rpm) and sometimes in second gear. Cruising around in first gear it kind of feel like there is resistance and the car is dragging something while there is that slight spinning sound. It almost feels like something is not fully engaged, but if I upshift or rev higher the sound and feeling goes away. Is this just how low gears normally feel? The car only has 3k miles and I did some test for clutch slip and I don't think It's doing that. I realize the Mt-82 is a noisy and quirky transmission but I am slightly paranoid since I am learning to drive manual on it.

Possible to get a video/sound clip?

OP
OP
mediumrare

mediumrare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Possible to get a video/sound clip?
Ill try to get a video but I don't think its loud enough to capture. Its less of a loud whirring noise and more of a whooshing blowing sound. At first I thought it was just the AC or seats blowing. Not anything that makes you immediately think something is wrong, just strange that it only happens sometimes and in certain conditions.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Ill try to get a video but I don't think its loud enough to capture. Its less of a loud whirring noise and more of a whooshing blowing sound. At first I thought it was just the AC or seats blowing. Not anything that makes you immediately think something is wrong, just strange that it only happens sometimes and in certain conditions.
Hello neighbor

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Fair enough, hard to really diagnose of course. I would say its not ABNORMAL to have some noises. But for peace of mine, cant go wrong with hitting up a reputable dealer considering its brand new! But could be overthinking it :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
mediumrare

mediumrare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Fair enough, hard to really diagnose of course. I would say its not ABNORMAL to have some noises. But for peace of mine, cant go wrong with hitting up a reputable dealer considering its brand new! But could be overthinking it :)
I was able to get a vid of the sound, almost sounds like a turbo or intake. Happens regardless of whether the clutch is in or not as long as I'm giving it gas. By the way I see you live close by, do you happen to know what dealers to go to around here for service? My closest is Al Packer Ford in West Palm off Okeechobee but I avoid that one since I've had them strip screws at the quicklane on another car.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I was able to get a vid of the sound, almost sounds like a turbo or intake. Happens regardless of whether the clutch is in or not as long as I'm giving it gas. By the way I see you live close by, do you happen to know what dealers to go to around here for service? My closest is Al Packer Ford in West Palm off Okeechobee but I avoid that one since I've had them strip screws at the quicklane on another car.
the worse dealers for me are Wayne Aker Ford and Pompano Ford. The dealer that has earned my trust is Grieco Ford, everytime I take it in only the service manager handles my tickets. He has a Mustang Mach 1 owner. If you call him tell him that David the owner of the Black Mustang with the loud exhaust referred you to him.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Mine does the same thing, albeit a bit more high pitch. Sounds like a whine. Been doing it for 20k miles without change. I just chalked it up to a noisy set of 3.73 gears. Although mine only does it under load. I haven't noticed it in neutral.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...release the accelerator and change gears............:clap:

IMG_0461 (1).JPG

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Don't hear that on mine, at least not yet.

OP
OP
mediumrare

mediumrare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
the worse dealers for me are Wayne Aker Ford and Pompano Ford. The dealer that has earned my trust is Grieco Ford, everytime I take it in only the service manager handles my tickets. He has a Mustang Mach 1 owner. If you call him tell him that David the owner of the Black Mustang with the loud exhaust referred you to him.
Thanks, I guess I might as well bring it in to get checked since the car is still under warranty

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
The transmission fluid pump is gear driven off of the torque converter - if you know anything about race transmissions or gear to gear camshafts, you'll recognize the sound.

Every 10 speed i've ridden in, including my own, has a very similar sound.

Here is another for comparison.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Pictures of the gear drive for the pump:
pump100.png
pump101.png
Sponsored