OKStang19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hope
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Hello all!
This is my first post, so I wasn't sure where was best to post this. Please feel free to redirect me to other forums.
I have a 2019 GT California Special. Around 8,000 miles I started noticing some blue smoke on start up. It wasn't doing it all the time, mostly just on hot restarts. I took it to a Ford dealership and they told me my oil was low, but they couldn't replicate the problem, so they sent me on my way. They topped off my oil and told me it was probably condensation I was seeing. I continued to see blue smoke on occasional start ups, but since the oil pressure was reading fine I just ignored it. When I took it to a different Ford dealership today for an oil change at 11,000 miles, they told me there was "hardly had any oil in it", despite it being topped off a month ago. I never see oil on the ground below the car and I check pretty regularly. They sent me over to the main service department and told me to schedule with them ASAP. Earliest they can do is still a month from now.
I have heard of GT's from this year consuming oil.. but this much? I have also heard rumors of bad valve seals? The car is bone stock and I drive it like a grandma!
Just wondering if anyone has had problems like this. I do have some videos of the car smoking.. not sure if I can upload those here or not.
Thanks for any input!
Sponsored

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2016 California Special with a supercharger and in the summer of 2019 had noticed puffs of blue smoke a few times on start up. I took it in and Ford said they couldn’t find anything wrong but they also weren’t able to replicate it. I do get on the throttle pretty good every once in a while and have been since day 1.
This year I replaced the PCV valve and bought the drivers side catch can to go with the passenger side I already had. I wasn’t down too much oil but I only have a little over 2400 km’s in 3 years of ownership. This summer I didn’t notice any more blue smoke. I also changed brands of oil. I heard the cleansing additive in Pennzoil could affect oil leaking past seals. Don’t know if that’s true or not but I now go with oil with no additive.
Hopefully you get it figured out. There are threads on here about oil consumption. Your amount of oil burn seems really excessive. I’d like to hear what the diagnosis is when you find out.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Hello all!
This is my first post, so I wasn't sure where was best to post this. Please feel free to redirect me to other forums.
I have a 2019 GT California Special. Around 8,000 miles I started noticing some blue smoke on start up. It wasn't doing it all the time, mostly just on hot restarts. I took it to a Ford dealership and they told me my oil was low, but they couldn't replicate the problem, so they sent me on my way. They topped off my oil and told me it was probably condensation I was seeing. I continued to see blue smoke on occasional start ups, but since the oil pressure was reading fine I just ignored it. When I took it to a different Ford dealership today for an oil change at 11,000 miles, they told me there was "hardly had any oil in it", despite it being topped off a month ago. I never see oil on the ground below the car and I check pretty regularly. They sent me over to the main service department and told me to schedule with them ASAP. Earliest they can do is still a month from now.
I have heard of GT's from this year consuming oil.. but this much? I have also heard rumors of bad valve seals? The car is bone stock and I drive it like a grandma!
Just wondering if anyone has had problems like this. I do have some videos of the car smoking.. not sure if I can upload those here or not.
Thanks for any input!
From everything you've described, it sounds a lot like you do have a legitimate oil consumption problem - from your noticing of blue smoke, and also when the technician said there was not a lot of oil.

You can still see somewhat normal oil pressure, and still have oil consumption issues. No oil on the ground means it's not leaking, which means there's only one other place for it go - it's burning.

Question on the lack of oil found on your service visit - did he notice this about the amount of oil that was drained, or what was seen on the dipstick?

Do you also regularly check your dipstick, and this when you discovered it was low, and topped it off? At what mileage did you top it off, compared to when you did the previous oil change?

I would want to have the dealer authorize an oil consumption test, whereby they have you check the oil levels at certain intervals, and they can determine the rate at which oil is being consumed, to determine if you need a replacement engine, etc.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Definitley keep checking your oil level if the Service Center has now found your GT’s oil level to be lower than normal.

Also make sure they are filling it to the correct capacity, because there were oil fill revisions between model years.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
On my first oil change (1000 miles), I told the service guy to indicate on the paperwork that my car takes 10qts of oil. He assured me that they know what they are going. got the car back, drove it home and checked - 8 qts. Unfortunately, I put 42 miles on it before going back and giving hell. I now have a sticker they put under the hood all marked up indicating 10 qts. I only used Ford for the free changes. As of this Dec, I am back to doing it myself.

I too have a thread on oil consumption with my 2019 GT PP2
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/does-your-gen-3-coyote-v8-have-oil-consumption.136103/

Many have posted there. I will be updating it end of Nov/beginning Dec after my oil change.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Demand a new engine.

That's what the warranty is for.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Check your oil every fill up. It's a LOT cheaper thana new engine.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
It could still be a minor issue. Yes could be rings, valve seals, etc. I always check the easiest stuff first. Hopefully a bad pvc valve. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!
You can also see what happens when you have a warm engine and check by pulling the hose off the cam cover and see if anything puffs out.
Puffing out, not good.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hopefully it is a faulty PCV. Also monitor your oil level on the regular. Have the dealership replace your PCV under warranty.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
On every new car, it's always good practice to top off oil immediately, and check consumption every 1K miles, at least initially, to see if there's an issue with that. With these cars, PCVs are very often defective, even on my Aug-2019 (late) built Bullitt. I changed the PCV valve immediately, since it was rattling at idle (it shouldn't do that), and the new one (about $7) was different, and zero issues so far. I bought 2, and will change it every 2 to 3 oil changes; cheap insurance. No oil consumption so far in 4K miles; hope it stays that way :). Good luck.

Sponsored
OP
OP
OKStang19

OKStang19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hope
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Hi all! Just wanted to update this forum. After visiting multiple ford dealerships and getting the run-around, we had officially decided to do an oil consumption test on my next oil change at 15000 miles. They planned on having me come in every 500 miles. However, two days ago in the freezing temps, the car started violently shaking on acceleration and at any speed above 30mph, accompanied by a flashing check engine light. I didn't have the time or resources to pull up the code, but it definitely felt like engine misfire. It only has 13,000 miles on it and is bone-stock. I also had just had it topped off with a quart of oil at 12,300. Had it towed to the dealership and their master technician is supposed to be looking at it today or Monday. Sucks!!

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Yikes, not good... Keep us updated!

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Anyone have a picture of the PCV located on the 18+ GT’s or where to locate it? Thanks

Rocketeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A PP
Anyone have a picture of the PCV located on the 18+ GT’s or where to locate it? Thanks
Right under that hose. Two things, 1. Don't be alarmed if the valve feels somewhat loose upon touch it should be. 2. If you pull it out, you will have to replace it with new one, the grommet is compromised upon removal.
20201224_132359.jpg

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Right under that hose. Two things, 1. Don't be alarmed if the valve feels somewhat loose upon touch it should be. 2. If you pull it out, you will have to replace it with new one, the grommet is compromised upon removal.
20201224_132359.jpg
Ok thanks for the picture. I’m assuming there’s only 1?
Sponsored