Sponsored

2019 GT idle chatter (I don't think this is BBQ tick)

RADARB8

***** Troll
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I've read all about the BBQ tick, typewriter noises, yada yada. I don't think this is it but please tell me otherwise. This is more of an erratic "chatter" at idle that gets more harmonic/persistent as RPMs increase. It's been present since day one and the car now has 1000 miles on it. Literally sounds like something is loose somewhere inside the motor.

Seems to do it more when the weather is cool/cold. Eventually goes away when at operating temperature and the car runs like a Banshee.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Kinda sounds like the typewriter tick but more frequent. When I had it, it would do it more randomly.

OP
OP
RADARB8

RADARB8

***** Troll
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Well hell, I guess I oddly feel a little better now :shrug:

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Same sound in my 2018. Do you think a compression test will be a good thing to do ?

Sponsored

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
sounds the same as my 2019. Mine was totally silent until my first oil change and then tick, tickity, tick. car has 35,000 miles on it now and running as strong as ever!

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I've read all about the BBQ tick, typewriter noises, yada yada. I don't think this is it but please tell me otherwise. This is more of an erratic "chatter" at idle that gets more harmonic/persistent as RPMs increase. It's been present since day one and the car now has 1000 miles on it. Literally sounds like something is loose somewhere inside the motor.

Seems to do it more when the weather is cool/cold. Eventually goes away when at operating temperature and the car runs like a Banshee.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Exactly like mine too.

I originally thought the same noise wasn’t the tick. I crawled under the passenger side thinking something was hitting the bell housing or something because it sounded so close to the back and bottom end of the engine.

I’m at around 13k miles now and it does it intermittently. But overall it runs great.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Typewriter Tick!!!

EXACTLY like mine, until I put in a bottle of Ceratec. With 1 bottle each oil change, it ticks a little during warmup, then goes away at normal temp.

OP
OP
RADARB8

RADARB8

***** Troll
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Just to update this, I did the first oil change with PUP and then ran it hard at an HPDE event. No typewriter tick since...

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Just to update this, I did the first oil change with PUP and then ran it hard at an HPDE event. No typewriter tick since...
Wait for it....it'll say hello again

bizlipkick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Just had my 19 in for its second oil change (that the dealer only put in 8 quarts instead of 10, luckily I only drove 4 miles before I checked it, anyhoo) and my tick is back crazy. Sounds just like yours. Went and gave it a WOT run on the highway, as I am in the "just send it" crew, and funny enough mine went away. I am sure it will be back tomorrow, but still funny how beating it makes it quiet.
Sponsored