Sponsored

2019 GT - Clear Bra and Ceramic Quote - worth the price??

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
My Magnetic Metallic GT Fastback will be here in about 4 weeks. Getting some quotes on XPEL wrap and Ceramic Pro. Found one shop nearby and have seen their work on a new Ruby Red convertible and the results are outstanding. However, is it worth the price? Here is what I was quoted.
Full prep, polish / clay.
XPEL wrap front bumper, full hood, front fenders, miror backs nd under door handles. $1800
Ceramic Pro the remainig 2/3rds of the car including wheels / 6 year warranty. $1500
So, $3,300 total.
Kept my last ā€œfun carā€ for 7 years and put on less than 5000 miles per year. Mostly weekend trips in the mountains, very little highway and no commuting, 2 track days per year. This GT will be about the same. Car is kept in a garage always.
Price reasonable?
For my situation is it worth it?
Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I had a top local shop do impact (aka partial) front for $800 installed with 10yr XPEL. Basically, full front, 1/3 hood-front fender, mirrors and door edge. Also, did Anchor Room side/fender protection myself for about $50. For me, the part of the car that can get peppered is definitely worth the protection.

I also did both sets of my wheels with 2yr ceramic (Opti Gloss Coat) myself for about $75 with plenty left over. Between that and ceramic brake pads I get virtually no brake dust and grime stick to my wheels.

A local detailer runs $300 specials for 2yr ceramic including paint correction which I might do if/when the car needs it. I park inside both at work and at home so for me ceramic on a brand new car doesn't seem worth it. Just by washing only with ONR and scratch free detail tools, water beads up perfectly.

Not applicable for you, but also did 303 fabric protectant on convertible top. And swear by Lexol products for the interior.

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Well, would it give you peace of mind? In that case, I say it's worth it. It is a good bit to put into protecting it, but it would be worth it even if you don't plan to drive it all that much. And if you don't protect it, you may not want to drive it even more as well!

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I was quoted $300 for 2 coats of ceramic pro. Detail guy is a friend with an S550.

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
That shine though...

Iā€™m still 100% satisfied. And in this pic, the car isnā€™t spotless. This pic was taken in FL yesterday.
CF9BFBDD-F60A-4F51-8E43-2208510B76DA.jpeg

Sponsored

1814GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1971 GMC - 1988 GT - 1989 GT Pro Street - 1991 Vert - 1986 Coupe - 1987 Saleen 47
My Magnetic Metallic GT Fastback will be here in about 4 weeks. Getting some quotes on XPEL wrap and Ceramic Pro. Found one shop nearby and have seen their work on a new Ruby Red convertible and the results are outstanding. However, is it worth the price? Here is what I was quoted.
Full prep, polish / clay.
XPEL wrap front bumper, full hood, front fenders, miror backs nd under door handles. $1800
Ceramic Pro the remainig 2/3rds of the car including wheels / 6 year warranty. $1500
So, $3,300 total.
Kept my last ā€œfun carā€ for 7 years and put on less than 5000 miles per year. Mostly weekend trips in the mountains, very little highway and no commuting, 2 track days per year. This GT will be about the same. Car is kept in a garage always.
Price reasonable?
For my situation is it worth it?

Just had AP3 in Alpharetta do the 350... Full front, fenders, A pillar, roof edge, bottom doors, front of rear fenders and behind rear wheels. Then did the full ceramic.. Looks great.. nice shine and great protection

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I had Ceramic Pro 9H installed by a local shop. Definitely worth the price. I barely have to wash it, and it never needs waxed, ever. The shine never ends.

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Plus, for those cars and coffee days, you could still put a coat of carnauba wax on it for an insane shine. :like:

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
You don't put wax on top of a coating.
I subscribe to a more layers, better protection mentality, and standby that building up layers is not a bad thing. :thumbsup:

I personally haven't owned a vehicle with ceramic coating. I'm 100% sure that even a ceramic coating can wear down over time though, and things can be done to prolong the life of the coating. Carnauba wax gives a warm deep shine that's a bit short lived as far as 'waxes' go. Perfect for a show, but maybe it won't work on a ceramic coating. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ Probably some type of sealant 'wax' is more appropriate. I'm not sure.

I plan to put paint protection film on the 'hot zones' and may try ceramic coat on the rest of the car. So I have some research ahead of me... but I have more than enough time to learn. Not getting my car anytime soon... lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
3300 is over 1/3 of the price of a total respray..and you get crappy looking lines on wrap edges . and could have car detailed 15 times for that money,,,just saying...
Yep. Decided to order the CQuartz kit and do it myself. Not doing the clear bra, just the ceramic coating. Only drive this one on weekends. Looks good so far, one more coat to go. Snow storm coming today. Maybe thing will be clear by the weekend.

LeagueRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That Guy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Magnetic Metal
I'm in Dallas and that quote is in line with what I received from Nicks Custom Detailing. I ended up doing just the front bumper and then having the rest of the car paint corrected and ceramic coated.

I have now had the car for 2 months and about 2k miles and these are my thoughts. I love the ceramic coating, it makes cleaning the car so much easier though I suspect the paint correction wax helps contribute to the constant shine. With that said, I regret not having the whole car wrapped as I now have rock chips under my drivers door handle, a small chip on the top of the hood and a small chip on the bend right above the windshield. I also have 2 small chips on the flat section above the drivers quarter panel that faces the sky (hope that is not too vague).

The paint correction and ceramic coating made my car look like glass which causes these rock chips to stand out just that much more. Wrap as much as you can, when you see other S550's that look like crap you will thank yourself.

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I'm in Dallas and that quote is in line with what I received from Nicks Custom Detailing. I ended up doing just the front bumper and then having the rest of the car paint corrected and ceramic coated.

I have now had the car for 2 months and about 2k miles and these are my thoughts. I love the ceramic coating, it makes cleaning the car so much easier though I suspect the paint correction wax helps contribute to the constant shine. With that said, I regret not having the whole car wrapped as I now have rock chips under my drivers door handle, a small chip on the top of the hood and a small chip on the bend right above the windshield. I also have 2 small chips on the flat section above the drivers quarter panel that faces the sky (hope that is not too vague).

The paint correction and ceramic coating made my car look like glass which causes these rock chips to stand out just that much more. Wrap as much as you can, when you see other S550's that look like crap you will thank yourself.
This is my logic when I get mine - I'd probably need to be spending a ton, but I'd love to see how much it would cost to wrap the whole car. I may not be able to bring myself to do that though.

Right now I imagine i'll be doing the Xpel recommendation for the car, It's like a 'hot zone' recommendation I think. Then Ceramic the rest... maybe. I'm not completely sold on Ceramic coating yet though. If I did it I'd very likely buy it and do it myself after any Paint Protection film is done by a shop. Like you point out, the ceramic coating isn't an impact protection it's just.. I think mostly a cleanliness protection? lol Maybe love mark inhibitor.

LeagueRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That Guy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Magnetic Metal
This is my logic when I get mine - I'd probably need to be spending a ton, but I'd love to see how much it would cost to wrap the whole car. I may not be able to bring myself to do that though.

Right now I imagine i'll be doing the Xpel recommendation for the car, It's like a 'hot zone' recommendation I think. Then Ceramic the rest... maybe. I'm not completely sold on Ceramic coating yet though. If I did it I'd very likely buy it and do it myself after any Paint Protection film is done by a shop. Like you point out, the ceramic coating isn't an impact protection it's just.. I think mostly a cleanliness protection? lol Maybe love mark inhibitor.
So I just want to point out the catch...

If you clear bra the car, you pretty much seal the paint in as is. So any existing rock chips and defects in the paint will be sealed in. Also, it is virtually pointless to apply ceramic to the clear bra as it does not adhere due to the lack of paint surface once the bra is put on.

Basically, you want the paint to be in the best condition that you are willing to accept prior to clear bra so at the least I would suggest getting a quote for paint correction, polish and then clear bra. I had my car paint corrected, ceramic coated then clear bra applied to the front bumper only. My front bumper looks amazing other than the pre existing rock chips.

You can try to mitigate the cost but it will cost you elsewhere. For example, I could have paid to clear bra the whole car but chose to just spend $600 on the front bumper and mirrors then I had a deal for paint correction and a 1 step ceramic coat for $1200 for a total of $1800. I will now have to have a professional shop fix any existing rock chips before I clear bra the entire car. The clear bra cost remains the same however I now have to add the cost of fixing the rock chips before that clear bra goes on.

Also, the based off location most ceramic coatings do not offer a warranty on any of their products if you are located in what they call a "desert environment" which being in Texas I am so no warranty. Focus on getting your paint cleaned, rock chips repaired then clear bra the whole car and you should be good to go without the ceramic coating.
Sponsored