Sponsored

2019 GT a10 random very hard downshifts at highway speeds at WOT

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 triple black GT convertible
Not sure if this is 'normal' or not. My 2019 GT with a10 will sometimes downshifts really hard at wide open throttle at highway speeds in regular drive "D" mode (not sport/sport+). It harsh to the point that it almost feels like I have been rear ended. It doesn't do it all the time which is the frustrating thing, it probably wouldn't do it if I brought it into the dealer.

anyone else experience this? car has about 17k miles on it, and its done it pretty much as long as I can remember having it.

The tranny temp gauge never goes over 200 degrees, and the level is fine (i added a half of a quart a year ago to fill it all the way)

any help or advice is appreciated
Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I would read that thread as well but my 2019 A10 does not do that. Especially in non sport mode. Is it doing it on its own or when you brake?

OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it doing it on its own or when you brake?

It does do it sometimes when breaking, like when coming to a light, the last downshifts before stopping you really feel. Its not all the time, and it doesnt seem to be getting worse, it just is what it is.

still love the car tho lol

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Not sure if this is 'normal' or not. My 2019 GT with a10 will sometimes downshifts really hard at wide open throttle at highway speeds in regular drive "D" mode (not sport/sport+). It harsh to the point that it almost feels like I have been rear ended. It doesn't do it all the time which is the frustrating thing, it probably wouldn't do it if I brought it into the dealer.

anyone else experience this? car has about 17k miles on it, and its done it pretty much as long as I can remember having it.

The tranny temp gauge never goes over 200 degrees, and the level is fine (i added a half of a quart a year ago to fill it all the way)

any help or advice is appreciated
Read this thread. Only 28 pages! Must be something in here to address the issue.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/
@speedup Once you go the the thread posted by @compprep go to my post #403. I had similar issues with my transmission. Turns out the transmission output shaft speed sensor was the issue. The dealership replaced the sensor and 6 quarts of transmission oil and my car has been running great since.

Good luck

Sponsored

OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@speedup Once you go the the thread posted by @compprep go to my post #403. I had similar issues with my transmission. Turns out the transmission output shaft speed sensor was the issue. The dealership replaced the sensor and 6 quarts of transmission oil and my car has been running great since.

Good luck
thank you for the feedback... one thing I noticed is my build also came with stock 3.55 gears.. could the hard 'downshift' be something in the differential?

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Stock tire size?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Good luck
I also recommend reading through the 10R80 thread tooā€¦ šŸ˜ it contains a great deal of info and very good responses from other S550 10R80 owners who give real world input to their experiences.

If itā€™s not the output shaft speed sensor, it could be the valve body which is also known to cause the ā€œhit by a carā€ feeling. If the valve body line pressure is too high, the driver will experience those shift issues.

Make a service appointment. Request that the Service Writer, a Tech or Shop Foreman comes on a drive with you BEFORE you leave the car so that you can demo the issue if youā€™re able to replicate it. Otherwise if you just drop it off and tell them about the issue, you may end up with the ā€œwe couldnā€™t replicate the issueā€ when you go to pick it upā€¦
Sponsored