Sponsored

2019 Ecoboost Sound (exhaust & stereo) - Worth the Wait?

DL109er

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thevalleylocal.net
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB Premium+ Lightning Blue 6spd Pony
So, all other things being equal, if you had a choice between a 2018 EB now and waiting for a new factory order 2019 EB, would the new Active Exhaust and/or B&O sound system sway you one way or the other?

I've heard the B&O is better than the Shaker, but any idea if the new Active Exhaust will make the EB sound noticeably better (heh - and better enough to justify the wait)?
Sponsored

bluefirestarter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue Mustang GT PP1 401a
Ford released a press video recently that showed off the ecoboost with the active exhaust. Still sounds not great. I'm waiting for the 2019 model to work out bugs with the auto (possibly a revised AC system) and I want the B&O sound system.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's not worth getting active exhaust on the EB. The head design and turbo selection make for a crappy sound when you open it up compared to many turbo 4s, let alone a V8 or good V6. I appreciate a good turbo 4 (Evo comes to mind for inline, obviously STi for boxer), but Ford has not put any effort into making this thing sound good. Save your money and stick with the stock catback.

OP
OP
DL109er

DL109er

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thevalleylocal.net
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB Premium+ Lightning Blue 6spd Pony
Ford released a press video recently that showed off the ecoboost with the active exhaust. Still sounds not great. I'm waiting for the 2019 model to work out bugs with the auto (possibly a revised AC system) and I want the B&O sound system.
What bugs with the auto? I heard the 10A was solid, though balky when you're first breaking it in (as it adapts - adaptive technology)

WRT the exhaust: I guess there's no way Ford is going to be able to make the EB sound any better. Heh, the Active Valve Exhaust would probably just make it quieter, rather than louder.

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
Both B&O and active exhaust are good improvements.

For a couple of months more I would wait for MY19. If the wait is over 6 months I would buy an MY18 now to get use of the car this summer.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
It's not worth getting active exhaust on the EB. The head design and turbo selection make for a crappy sound when you open it up compared to many turbo 4s, let alone a V8 or good V6. I appreciate a good turbo 4 (Evo comes to mind for inline, obviously STi for boxer), but Ford has not put any effort into making this thing sound good. Save your money and stick with the stock catback.
agreed, dont wait, not worth the sound. also the shaker that comes with the 101a package is not bad. now if you are an audiophile you might hate it but for the average person its pretty good.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
agreed, dont wait, not worth the sound. also the shaker that comes with the 101a package is not bad. now if you are an audiophile you might hate it but for the average person its pretty good.
I don't know why anyone expect the B&O to sound much better than the shaker. They are still going to use budget speakers, a budget amp and a budget head unit.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Don't all 2019 Mustangs come standard with active exhaust..?

Either way, the active exhaust adds a level of fun, neighborly respect, sophistication that allows you to fit into a funeral procession, or rip down the track.

BTW, there is an official vid somewhere with a turbo & active exhaust.

I have no doubt the newer B&O upgrade Sound System is (most likely) far superior to the discontinued "SHAKER" system. Their engineers are not so much about digitally "playing with the soundstage", as they are about having the right speakers and frequencies ranges, etc.

• First-ever B&O PLAY premium audio system for Mustang now available, delivering 1,000 watts of audio power through 12 high-performance speakers for ultimate sound experience
ergo B&O should offer more fidelity.

Which means you won't have to have it turned up loud, to hear instruments.. which means you can hold a conversation in the car at low volume, without tinny music.

Two options I plan on having and glad that both are optioned for the Mustang.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Don't all 2019 Mustangs come standard with active exhaust..?

Either way, the active exhaust adds a level of fun, neighborly respect, sophistication that allows you to fit into a funeral procession, or rip down the track.

BTW, there is an official vid somewhere with a turbo & active exhaust.

I have no doubt the newer B&O upgrade Sound System is (most likely) far superior to the discontinued "SHAKER" system. Their engineers are not so much about digitally "playing with the soundstage", as they are about having the right speakers and frequencies ranges, etc.

• First-ever B&O PLAY premium audio system for Mustang now available, delivering 1,000 watts of audio power through 12 high-performance speakers for ultimate sound experience
ergo B&O should offer more fidelity.

Which means you won't have to have it turned up loud, to hear instruments.. which means you can hold a conversation in the car at low volume, without tinny music.

Two options I plan on having and glad that both are optioned for the Mustang.
Good luck with those expectations. The best audio engineers in the world can only do so much on a shoestring budget. The speakers and amps arenā€™t going to be of any higher quality than the shaker system. Iā€™m afraid anyone looking for a dramatic sound stage increase over the current system is going to be in for a major disappointment.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
I find the Shaker system on my ā€˜17 to be more than adequate. With the top up Vol 5 is all I need and with the top down at Hwy speed Vol 10. HOWEVER I rarely have the stereo on with the top down since I had the Borla Sport Axleback installed and it purrs, growls and pops better than any tunes!

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I can't imagine active exhaust on the EB being a fun factor. They should have quiet and stealth. Not knocking the motor, just the sound. It's like a beautiful woman that talks like Edith Bunker.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Good luck with those expectations. The best audio engineers in the world can only do so much on a shoestring budget. The speakers and amps arenā€™t going to be of any higher quality than the shaker system. Iā€™m afraid anyone looking for a dramatic sound stage increase over the current system is going to be in for a major disappointment.
Can you tell me how many Cars that you have heard, that have shitty B&O sound systems in them, plz..?
I think you are shaming a Company, you know nothing about. (B&O Collection)

Also, on the flip-side, can you tell us what "Shaker Pro Audio" is...?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Can you tell me how many Cars that you have heard, that have shitty B&O sound systems in them, plz..?
I think you are shaming a Company, you know nothing about. (B&O Collection)

Also, on the flip-side, can you tell us what "Shaker Pro Audio" is...?
None is saying itā€™s going to sound shitty, just that itā€™s not going to be much better than the current offering. There is a review out there if it on the fiesta, and while good...itā€™s only marginally better. Ford isnā€™t going to dish out more money. What youā€™ll find is likely to be cheap components designed to work as well together as B&O can. Audio nuts are still going to be disappointed, and most others arenā€™t going to notice much of a difference over the shaker Pro. Just because B&Os name is on it does not mean itā€™s going to sound amazing.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I can't imagine active exhaust on the EB being a fun factor. They should have quiet and stealth. Not knocking the motor, just the sound. It's like a beautiful woman that talks like Edith Bunker.
This. All the ones with aftermarket exhaust that I have heard in person make me turn my head, but not in a good way. The kind like, "ugghhh what is that??" Plenty of good turbo 4 sounds. The 2.3 isn't one of them.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
None is saying itā€™s going to sound shitty, just that itā€™s not going to be much better than the current offering. There is a review out there if it on the fiesta, and while good...itā€™s only marginally better. Ford isnā€™t going to dish out more money. What youā€™ll find is likely to be cheap components designed to work as well together as B&O can. Audio nuts are still going to be disappointed, and most others arenā€™t going to notice much of a difference over the shaker Pro. Just because B&Os name is on it does not mean itā€™s going to sound amazing.
Have you heard it? If not, hard to say what it will sound like.

If they could dump all the rattles in the car, the current system would sound MUCH better --- in my car anyway. Cheap plastic clips are just that though....

Far as the new muffler... I'd have to hear it... but it can't get worse in stock form.
Sponsored