Sponsored

2019 ecoboost black stuff coming out of exhaust pipe

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Had a 16 mustang v6, traded it in for a 19 ecoboost with 10R80 2 weeks ago. Ecoboost has 16700 miles on it. Did an oil change second day I bought the car with full synthetic motorcraft and changed the spark plugs. Cold start inside the garage with door open obviously and I look in the back and I see black stuff right under the driver and passenger mufflers. This is my first turbocharged car so I know barely anything about it. pictures are down below. if anyone can please help me out if this is normal or should I take it to the dealer but also don’t wanna deal with dealer bs. picture with the most black stuff is driver and least is passenger. thanks

D0EA698C-EE0C-4844-9E76-0B8C715DF2EE.jpeg

89F633D9-07EE-497E-9041-548A8C8929B7.jpeg
Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I have a 2015 with 46k miles and I get that black soot as well. Probably carbon buildup from the GDI engine and condensation.

OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I have a 2015 with 46k miles and I get that black soot as well. Probably carbon buildup from the GDI engine and condensation.
yeah but everything is stock on the car literally everything besides some cosmetic changes. it’s still not something i wanna see on my garage floor you know. and I just remembered that the other day i was like wtf is this on my garage floor because it’s on another spot inside the garage as well.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
This doesn't seem like anything much to worry about at the moment - from what you've initially described, it sounds pretty normal for a GDI car.

Vast majority (if not all) oem and even aftermarket exhausts have "weep holes" in the mufflers, to allow moisture and condensation to escape. Even around the exhaust pipe flanges and clamps, although seemingly secured tight, moisture finds its way out of those connection points, too - this almost always happens during a cold start, when the car has been sitting.

Now, add in gasoline direct injection (GDI), like the 2.3 Ecos, and there's more soot as a byproduct of the combustion process. This is what you're seeing mixed with the water on the floor.

(Pics from Google):
In the pic below, you can see this OEM VW exhaust - there is a weep hole there, and notice the black ashy soot that doused the bottom of the muffler.
mQ5SM0m.png

This second pic is off an F-150, less sooty but you can see the weep hole.

IMG_0333.JPG

OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
This doesn't seem like anything much to worry about at the moment - from what you've initially described, it sounds pretty normal for a GDI car.

Vast majority (if not all) oem and even aftermarket exhausts have "weep holes" in the mufflers, to allow moisture and condensation to escape. Even around the exhaust pipe flanges and clamps, although seemingly secured tight, moisture finds its way out of those connection points, too - this almost always happens during a cold start, when the car has been sitting.

Now, add in gasoline direct injection (GDI), like the 2.3 Ecos, and there's more soot as a byproduct of the combustion process. This is what you're seeing mixed with the water on the floor.

(Pics from Google):
In the pic below, you can see this OEM VW exhaust - there is a weep hole there, and notice the black ashy soot that doused the bottom of the muffler.
mQ5SM0m.png

This second pic is off an F-150, less sooty but you can see the weep hole.
IMG_0333.JPG
Thank you for the info. yeah the car had been sitting for 2 days. and the owner before me drove it 8000 miles a year so it probably was just sitting most of the time. There wouldn’t be any point in taking it to the dealer? because it still has bumper to bumper

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah but everything is stock on the car literally everything besides some cosmetic changes. it’s still not something i wanna see on my garage floor you know. and I just remembered that the other day i was like wtf is this on my garage floor because it’s on another spot inside the garage as well.
My car was bone stock for 5 years and 40k miles and I only recently added mods including an oil separator and an ECU flash. I did have the induction service done by Ford to clean out any carbon buildup and my 02 sensors failed a couple of days after the service from all the carbon soot or the induction solution.

OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
My car was bone stock for 5 years and 40k miles and I only recently added mods including an oil separator and an ECU flash. I did have the induction service done by Ford to clean out any carbon buildup and my 02 sensors failed a couple of days after the service from all the carbon soot or the induction solution.
Dang idk how you went that long without modding it because it’s tempting than a mfer to mod it. And I definitely need an oil separator, I was thinking the Mishimoto one but there’s also JLT which is cheaper. Which one do you think I should go with? i’m mostly towards Mishimoto but i’d love to get other peoples opinion.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Thank you for the info. yeah the car had been sitting for 2 days. and the owner before me drove it 8000 miles a year so it probably was just sitting most of the time. There wouldn’t be any point in taking it to the dealer? because it still has bumper to bumper
Yeah, no point in bringing it at this point, especially if you're not experiencing any driveability issues. I say send it for now, and keep an eye on strange noises, driveability issues, etc.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dang idk how you went that long without modding it because it’s tempting than a mfer to mod it. And I definitely need an oil separator, I was thinking the Mishimoto one but there’s also JLT which is cheaper. Which one do you think I should go with? i’m mostly towards Mishimoto but i’d love to get other peoples opinion.
I enjoyed the Mustang in stock form just fine and once the warranty ended I said F buying a new Mustang and just upgraded a bunch of parts. I have the JLT oil separator and it works great, but it needs to be checked every 1k miles because it is only 3 ounces. There is an extension for th JLT that will double capacity.

I also have the CFM Baffled Billet Valve Cover Breather that appears to lesson the amount of blow by as there is less sludge in my JLT after installing the CFM Baffled Billet Valve Cover Breather. That also needs to be cleaned every 1k miles with warm water and dish soap.

https://www.c-f-m.com/performancepa...-Kit-for-2015-2016-Mustang-EcoBoost-p5157.htm

Deleted member 35644

My water heater pedestal and lawn mower wheel are covered in this stuff. No worries. GDI turbo.

OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Okay thanks to all of you guys. Preciate the help
Sponsored