Sponsored

2019 Camaro refresh to compete with 2018 Mustang refresh

Bybcous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 daytona 392
I w as s planning on getting a19 camaro until photos released.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
There will be several different engine choices. The top of the line TT V8 will be up there, probably in the range you are speaking of, but the base motor car will be within $10K of the current base model C7. A mid engine Corvette will eventually need to find its way next to my R in the garage.
GM will need a hell of a lot more than a $10k delta if they plan on building a mid engine corvette AND continue the front engine variant.

Expect the mid engine corvette to start out at $85k to $90k (or more). They need to put the price range in enough of a different realm as to not compete with their other cars.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
GM will need a hell of a lot more than a $10k delta if they plan on building a mid engine corvette AND continue the front engine variant.

Expect the mid engine corvette to start out at $85k to $90k (or more). They need to put the price range in enough of a different realm as to not compete with their other cars.
Nope.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
There will be several different engine choices. The top of the line TT V8 will be up there, probably in the range you are speaking of, but the base motor car will be within $10K of the current base model C7. A mid engine Corvette will eventually need to find its way next to my R in the garage.
YEP. Me too.
4B329456-276E-4529-AD66-43D90EB429C4.jpeg

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
:ford:
Base GT vs GT350 for only $8k more...what are you buying?

With the Mid engine corvette it’s entirely different, as the cars will likely share almost no parts and thus truly will competing with each other if priced too closely.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

With the Mid engine corvette it’s entirely different, as the cars will likely share almost no parts and thus truly will competing with each other if priced too closely.
Most (but not all) people would opt for the GT350 in this scenario. Thing is, if there is a ME Corvette, it would likely play to a different market than the current FE Corvette. The GT350 (and GT500 coming soon) is an “ultimate Mustang”. More Mustang than most people will be able to buy, so very special in that regard. Just like a Z06 or ZR1 are the tip of the Corvette pyramid and 1LE and ZL1 are the tip of the Camaro pyramid.

The difference between an FE Vette and an ME Vette would be more akin to the difference between Porsche Cayman GT4 ($86K) and a Porsche 911 Carrera ($91K). Even though the Cayman GT4 is likely a more capable car, it plays to a different customer set than the 911 and the 911 set is willing to pay more. There are Porsche owners who will never consider an FE Corvette, even though a ZR1 will likely slaughter anything in their garage, but would consider an ME Corvette at the right price.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Most (but not all) people would opt for the GT350 in this scenario. Thing is, if there is a ME Corvette, it would likely play to a different market than the current FE Corvette. The GT350 (and GT500 coming soon) is an “ultimate Mustang”. More Mustang than most people will be able to buy, so very special in that regard. Just like a Z06 or ZR1 are the tip of the Corvette pyramid and 1LE and ZL1 are the tip of the Camaro pyramid.

The difference between an FE Vette and an ME Vette would be more akin to the difference between Porsche Cayman GT4 ($86K) and a Porsche 911 Carrera ($91K). Even though the Cayman GT4 is likely a more capable car, it plays to a different customer set than the 911 and the 911 set is willing to pay more. There are Porsche owners who will never consider an FE Corvette, even though a ZR1 will likely slaughter anything in their garage, but would consider an ME Corvette at the right price.
You don't honestly expect that the average corvette customer....given the choice between the standard, front engine corvette and a better performing...more "exotic" mid engine variant that costs as little as $10k (or less) will choose the older design do you? With the exception of (what will likely amount to be) a little more trunk room, what will the front engine corvette offer (besides the stigma of being a mid-life crises mobile) over the new mid engine design that will keep people buying it? There certainly won't be enough sales to continue R&D for future redesigns.

The only way that GM will have a price point that close is if they continue the current corvette chassis virtually unchanged and eventually plan to phase it out of production completely.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't honestly expect that the average corvette customer....given the choice between the standard, front engine corvette and a better performing...more "exotic" mid engine variant that costs as little as $10k (or less) will choose the older design do you? With the exception of (what will likely amount to be) a little more trunk room, what will the front engine corvette offer (besides the stigma of being a mid-life crises mobile) over the new mid engine design that will keep people buying it? There certainly won't be enough sales to continue R&D for future redesigns.

The only way that GM will have a price point that close is if they continue the current corvette chassis virtually unchanged and eventually plan to phase it out of production completely.
And the problem with that would be.....?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
And the problem with that would be.....?
Not a problem, but would be a bit strange considering they built an entire new production facility for the mid engine instead of re-vamping the existing.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

GT350R you are getting carbon fiber rims, stickier tires and aero - plus a more aggressive suspension setup to take advantage of those components. $57K vs. $63.5K. IMO and most other people's opinion that is a great deal.

I agree they will compete. I'm not that interested in a current Corvette due to the bland base motors. I'm also not a big blower person. I think they are cool, but I was never that interested in the GT500 either. If the GS had a cool engine like the Voodoo, then I might have gone for a Corvette. Maybe all the ME 'vettes will get dual OHC engines. That would be a great improvement.

I'm really hoping the mid engine base price isn't too high. Definitely GM is setting up for the front engine Corvette to go away with the Camaro getting close in performance to the base Corvettes.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
the difference between Porsche Cayman GT4 ($86K) and a Porsche 911 Carrera ($91K). Even though the Cayman GT4 is likely a more capable car, it plays to a different customer set than the 911 and the 911 set is willing to pay more.
This is more akin to Camaro ZL1 vs Corvette... the Vette will usually cost more, and the Camaro will outperform it, but they're 2 totally different platforms and one is more about status where the other is more about raw performance.

Now, compare a Porsche 911 Carrera to a Porsche GT3RS and that would be more akin to FE Vette vs ME Vette

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is more akin to Camaro ZL1 vs Corvette... the Vette will usually cost more, and the Camaro will outperform it, but they're 2 totally different platforms and one is more about status where the other is more about raw performance.

Now, compare a Porsche 911 Carrera to a Porsche GT3RS and that would be more akin to FE Vette vs ME Vette
If there really is an ME Corvette it would have to be on a completely different platform than FE Corvette, so it would be more differentiated than Carrera vs GT3.

El_Jefe_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
Looks like Dodge is bringing back the 426 Hemi, not sure Ford or Chevy have any answer in NA form.

[ame]

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
Looks like Dodge is bringing back the 426 Hemi, not sure Ford or Chevy have any answer in NA form.

Doesn't even look like a production car, whose even cares??

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Looks like it comes with a beer dispensing plastic helmet and a NASCAR shirt.
Sponsored