2019 Camaro refresh to compete with 2018 Mustang refresh

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I’ve searched for more photos on the net and there are now many more than a week ago. Some show the front end from other perspectives that do make it less hideous but as always with modern design a 2D perspective is never good. As with the 2015 Mustang this will have to be seen in person to make final judgements.
I can't agree more. I hated the 2015 Mustang first internet pics and after 3 years I have one.. hahaah
Sponsored

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
As a life long Camaro owner and moderator of a Camaro forum, I can't say that I like it. I thought the '93 Camaro lost the "timeless" design. It had a huge slope of the front end, but by 2002, they improved on the 4th gen look that I'd consider buying one. The 5th gen was cool as a concept, but I never fell in love with it and won't buy one, and the 6th gen is still boring and ugly as the 5th gen.

So, what I'm saying is that GM screwed up the car starting with the 4th gen, was able to recover some, then failed since.

I'll keep my 3rd gen!!!
564.jpg

STex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67,69 ram air and 72 GTO
If the Camaro ever gets as much greenhouse and visibility as the Mustang, I would "consider" the Camaro. Current refresh is just a money saving change for the sake of change. They did nothing to address the short comings of the car. The basic design of the 6 gen Camaro is just not good. Refresh is just window dressing.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If the Camaro ever gets as much greenhouse and visibility as the Mustang, I would "consider" the Camaro. Current refresh is just a money saving change for the sake of change. They did nothing to address the short comings of the car. The basic design of the 6 gen Camaro is just not good. Refresh is just window dressing.
There still living in the Transformer universe if they really want camaro to survive they need to fire there whole design staff and bring in some new blood. But GM never listens to anyone and personally I hope they don't.

R.I.Pieces camaro

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
That’s not just a Camaro thing, that is a car industry thing. The 2018 Mustang and 2019 Camaro are both Mid Cycle Enhancements (MCE) or “refreshes”. In an MCE you typically do not do anything that bends metal or changes glass. Front and rear fascias, wheels, headlamps / taillamps, colors are typical changes for MCEs. Sometimes the details of the hood can change, but typically not the attach points, because that would require bending metal at those attach points.

Metal bending (new fenders, quarter panels, roofs, suspension, significant powertrain changes) tend to happen at Major program events, like going from S197 to S550 or if Ford ever does an S650. For Camaro that would be if/when they do a Gen 7. Refreshes cost millions. Majors usually cost more than a billion.

Sponsored

dingobreath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT orange
The blacked out front makes the car looks squashed and stumpy at the front.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
As a life long Camaro owner and moderator of a Camaro forum, I can't say that I like it. I thought the '93 Camaro lost the "timeless" design. It had a huge slope of the front end, but by 2002, they improved on the 4th gen look that I'd consider buying one. The 5th gen was cool as a concept, but I never fell in love with it and won't buy one, and the 6th gen is still boring and ugly as the 5th gen.

So, what I'm saying is that GM screwed up the car starting with the 4th gen, was able to recover some, then failed since.

I'll keep my 3rd gen!!!
564.jpg

If the car in the picture is yours its a good looking car that being said I wouldn't have it its a camaro.

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
That car is my car. I also have a 1982 Camaro Indy Pace Car.

451693d1516751013-1982-1984-z28s-pic-32483667.jpg

But as of today, I also have a 2014 Mustang GT and a 2017 Mustang GT. Reason? Chevrolet didn't do a good job on the new car and I thought Ford did a much better with the looks.

Snagged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra, '17 Corrolla
The General Motors Defence Division has rolled into Camaro6 in full force. Apparently Al-O said they don't really listen to initial feedback/complaints because "no one liked the 2014 refresh until the 2016 came out, no one liked the 2016 design until this refresh"

What an insufferable prick, Al O is.
Well to his defense he is right. Most people respond negatively to a recent revamp of a car and then later on warm up to it and start to like it. It's hard to let go of the previous model design and accept the new one sometimes. I know I've been guilty of doing this in the past.

I overall like the changes done to both the Camaro and Mustang.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

But as of today, I also have a 2014 Mustang GT and a 2017 Mustang GT. Reason? Chevrolet didn't do a good job on the new car and I thought Ford did a much better with the looks.
Cool. I had two Mustang Pace Cars. I was looking for one with a 302, but could only find one with the 2.3 Turbo, so I bought it. Then a few months later a 302 popped up outta nowhere so I bought that one too. Rolled like that for a few months before I sold the 2.3T to my brother. We lived in different states, so it wasn’t as weird as it sounds. Stock photo, but my 2.3 Turbo looked just like this, but with “TURBO” on the black centerpiece on the hood. The 302 didn’t have the lettering applied. The original owner gave the lettering to me in the original box, which I passed on when I sold the car.
9D0FEE87-3062-4C68-BF08-FF626369B15C.jpeg

Sponsored

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer

Mustang guy to the bone but your 3rd gen Camaros get my respect. Not many clean ones left. Your 3rd genes look really clean ..are good looking cars

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I had an 84 Fiero Indy pace car..LOL

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Cool. I had two Mustang Pace Cars. I was looking for one with a 302, but could only find one with the 2.3 Turbo, so I bought it. Then a few months later a 302 popped up outta nowhere so I bought that one too. Rolled like that for a few months before I sold the 2.3T to my brother. We lived in different states, so it wasn’t as weird as it sounds. Stock photo, but my 2.3 Turbo looked just like this, but with “TURBO” on the black centerpiece on the hood. The 302 didn’t have the lettering applied. The original owner gave the lettering to me in the original box, which I passed on when I sold the car.
That is one sweet looking 79 pace car :thumbsup:

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
I actually like the looks of the '19 Camaro. IMO it's pretty nice looking. If true the Camaro outpeforms the Mustang on the track that's humm.........something to think about. To me the 2019 Camaro looks better than the refreshed Mustang. Nevertheless, I'm still a dyed in the wool Ford guy. :ford:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had an 84 Fiero Indy pace car..LOL
I remember reading about them at the time (I was in high school) and thinking the car sounded cool. Didn't it have a air inlet on the roof?

Anyhoo, one of those with a 2.3 EB and some handling upgrades would be a blast to drive.
Sponsored