2019 Bullitt supercharger nightmare

5Bullitt0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
‘13 V6,‘15 Ecoboost,’16 & ‘17 GT,‘19 Bullitt
So I went and added a VMP Odin supercharger to the Bullitt. Install was pretty smooth for the most part. Now that everything is installed and complete I’m having a “service charging system” warning come on my dash, my battery isn’t charging and the car is running very rough to the point it idles for a few minutes and then dies. VMP has been of little help as all of my emails are responded to with a generalized “there are no problems with our system on th Bullitt, we have done it”. I can’t for the life of me figure out what is going on. I don’t have any unconnected wires that I can find.
Sponsored

TXAG96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21Bronco,'20Bullitt,'01Boxster,'87Tbird-Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
pick up the phone and let them know your feelings after dropping $9K with them.
I wouldn't settle for "online" after that much cash is tendered....
Be diplomatic and just say something to the effect of "I'm not getting anywhere with the emails and really need some help here"

Tel: (321) 206-9369

Let us know....

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Did you verify that the alternator positive cable is tight and that the alternator connector is seated?

How about the fuses related to the charging system? Did the alternator positive cable arc on anything during the install?

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I always wondered if there was a reason that Whipple has a Bullitt specific option or if it was just there way of charging a different amount.
Unless something has changed VMP's is not Bullitt specific.
Curious if there is something in the stock tune file that makes it not compatible with a regular GT tune.
If its there canned tune and they wont datalog and work with you, having a reputable shop do a custom dyno tune might be the only way.

OP
OP
5Bullitt0

5Bullitt0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Did you verify that the alternator positive cable is tight and that the alternator connector is seated?

How about the fuses related to the charging system? Did the alternator positive cable arc on anything during the install?
I did verify all the wires were connected and free of damage. There was no arcing that I am aware of during the install. So far have checked all of the fuses and they look good. What I am concerned about is that the “fuse” board outside of the fuse box with 3 terminals, 1 is the battery and 1 is the alternator not sure the other, has absolutely no voltage when the vehicle is started and/or when being jumped off by another vehicle. I have a feeling that the alternator may have bit the big one or that fuse/terminal strip is blown. I’ll have to keep looking tomorrow.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Maybe a dumb question but how about your serpentine belt routing? I know in some cases if its threaded wrong some accessories could run in the wrong direction.

OP
OP
5Bullitt0

5Bullitt0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Update: Completely not any fault of VMPV hardware or software. I figured it out. Make sure you unplug your battery before the install and either zip tie or electrical tape the positive lead oh o the way. I uninstalled the positive terminal but at some point it flopped back over and was touching the terminal on the battery which led to the 275 amp mega fuse popping. It was a headache to track it down as I was still getting continuity on the multimeter, but an $18 part solved it all. To be fair it was flashing from 00.00 to OL rapidly so actually I guess I didn’t have much continuity at all. Anyone else having a “service charging system” light on the dash I highly recommend to replace this first. I’ll stretch a picture and part number tomorrow when I have time. No I just have to figure out what part of this I messed up that caused to have my cross traffic monitor stop working and light up the dash. From one issue to the next.
Sponsored