Bannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Hey Folks,

I have a 2019 Bullitt. Anyone know what the stock fuel injector flow rate is? Are they different from the stock 2019 Mustang GT injectors? I have an Edelbrock eForce Supercharger installed on it. Not quite getting the boost numbers the shop expected to see so they are swapping out the 3.25" pulley for a 3.00" pulley/ Their assessment based on the current dyno tune is that the stock fuel injectors have plenty of fuel capacity to support the smaller pulley which should move the boost needle from 10psi to 12-13psi.

I've tried googling and can not find the stock Bullitt fuel injector capacity.

Thanks!

JB
Sponsored

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Hey Folks,

I have a 2019 Bullitt. Anyone know what the stock fuel injector flow rate is? Are they different from the stock 2019 Mustang GT injectors? I have an Edelbrock eForce Supercharger installed on it. Not quite getting the boost numbers the shop expected to see so they are swapping out the 3.25" pulley for a 3.00" pulley/ Their assessment based on the current dyno tune is that the stock fuel injectors have plenty of fuel capacity to support the smaller pulley which should move the boost needle from 10psi to 12-13psi.

I've tried googling and can not find the stock Bullitt fuel injector capacity.

Thanks!

JB
How did you get a big E to fit? The last time I called Edelbrock, I was informed that they do not make a supercharger that can fit on the new bullitt.

As far as I know our injectors are the same as the gt. I do know that our ecu was tuned by ford to be a bit different than the gt.

OP
OP

Bannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Bear_Stang,

Appologies in advance for the length of this post, but hoping that the detail is helpful to you and anyone else.

My experience may be the reason they told you that. I called them before I placed the order through a great speed shop here in Va. I asked if it would fit the Bullitt and they said yes. Throughout the process of installation it became apparent that there were issues. I am pretty pissed off with Edelbrock because the shop told me that each time they called them with technical issues and solutions, Edelbrock basically told them to go pound sand.

Here are the issues and what had to be done to address them so far.

• Bullit CAI nor any other known aftermarket intake like JLT will work with it because of the entrance angle of the SC makes a sharp left turn to align with the stock Mustang intake.
    • Oh well we can solve that, we'll just ask Edelbrock to sell us their CAI that come with the Stage 2 kit no problem right? Wrong Edelbrock refused to sell us just the CAI.
  • The Bullitt has the 88mm Throttle body which has a different bolt pattern than the stock GT 80mm throttle body. Adapters exist but the speed shop cautioned against it since it adds an extra gasket in there which could cause air leakage and the width of the adapter would make the alignment to the CAI strained.
  • Final solution to both issues. I purchased a stock 2019 Mustang GT take off CAI and Throttle body off of Ebay

• Second major issue, Edelbrock said after a few calls trying to address the above issues that they would not support the Bullitt so they would not send a tune file for the Bullitt or even the stock GT.
    • So the Dyno tech effectively built one from scratch.
Semi final results:

Before they started the supercharger install, I asked them to dyno the car stock. The result surprised the heck out of me and the guys at the shop.
Three pulls were within about 3hp and 3lb-ft TQ of each other with the best pull netting 461hp and 407lbs TQ. that's crazy numbers for a car that is rated at 480hp & 420lb-ft tq at the crank.

After the supercharger install was all buttoned up and custom tuned, the car produced 588hp and 570lb-ft tq at the wheels. These numbers were different in opposite directions of the quoted 638hp and 510lb-ft at the wheels Edelbrock shows on their dyno runs on a GT with their SC installed. Horsepower low by~50hp and tq 60lb-ft tq above.

Current situation. I have experienced inconsistent driveability results. Sometimes it goes like a bat out of hell and is a bit scary and at other times if feels like its down about 100hp. my guess is the computer is pulling timing due to knock sensor false alarms or higher than normal IATs

Next steps: Different dyno guru looked at the details of the dyno pulls and notices 2 things. Some general tuning opportunities and the blower is maxing out at 10psi. That's about 2psi down from a Roushcharger they installed at their sister shop. So as mentioned above, they are going to go to the 3.0" pulley and retune.

Monkey Wrench: Unrelated, the passenger power seat is failing to move forward and backward. It looks like one side is not working. Also, I am now getting error codes for the traction control, hill assist and drive modes. This happened twice before when I parked on a relatively steep driveway at my friends house but it has not done it since until early this week and now it happens everytime I start the car.

Ford Dealership appointment on Tuesday to get them both addressed. I can't wait for the dealership to blame it on the Supercharger and tune which is BS.

I'll keep you posted on the results after dealership and then retune. Hopefully will have it all wrapped up by end of next week.. I'll post pics and the dyno graphs.

Lastly and to me this is the saddest part is that after Edelbrock refused to support it, the guys at the shop said the techs at Whipple were the most helpful at providing advice for a few of the things they ran into.

I was sure that Edelbrock was going to be super enthusiastic about helping develop solutions to the issue because at the end of it they would be able to promote that they were another SC manufacturer other than Whipple that supported the Bullitt. Boy was I wrong.

JB

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I personally would have Lund tune the car ASAP.

These car are extremely advanced with the engine management system.

Going from 10 psi to 12 isn’t going to solve a problem if there is one. It may just mask it. If the car has problems don’t mess around if you don’t want a money hole.

Get a reputable tuner to tune that thing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
BlackandBlue,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your input.

I'm pretty confident in the shop who is doing the work. They tune several cars a day and typically have 3-4 supercharger installs going at any particular time as well as a lot of crazy engine swaps. The intent of the pulley is not to solve driveability issues, they'll do that with the revised tune. They felt they could get a little bit more boost on the top end where the power was falling off a bit. They are used to customers who want crazy HP #'s and know I am not one of them. They know I want a conservative tune, to get good performance with great reliability. They're approach typically is to tune the car for street application vs an all out drag car unless that is what the customer wants. The only charge to me from this point on is for the pulley and installation. They are waving the Dyno tuning fee. Since this was not a standard application and had to deal with a good number of challenges, they actually went over on the original quote by about 10 hours which they are eating.

I'll keep you posted.

JB

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Bannon,

Thank you for the breakdown and the advice. I had chased roush and Edelbrock down, but neither was willing to explain why they can't work with the stock bullitt. Only whipple was able to give me a solid answer (the other companies are too lazy to make workarounds in house for the throttle-body / fuel injector differences. Heck, I even PMed roush on twitter and I got a half-hearted answer (and they are the preferred sc for ford performance).

If I do super, It will be with the whipple, but as I want to spread out the mass a bit, I am now looking at the, more costly, hellion setup. Here is what Hellion had so say about putting their sleeper kit on the bullitt:

Thanks for contacting us.

Our system will bolt right up to a Bullitt just as it does to a GT.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.​

-----------

Hellion, like whipple, was more than ready to answer my questions (underlined text are their answers):

Jeff,
As I continue to decide if I am going to boost (hidden turbos) or charge the bullitt, i realize that i am completely confused by the different turbo options.

To be clear, this will not be a constant track car. I just want to make the bullitt a bit more sinister. I am looking at the turbo system for a more even weight distribution and the supercharger for a more "plug and play system". I think most of the super charger systems I am looking at add around 90 - 120 lbs to the engine bay directly. I would also like to keep my factory strut tower and no supercharger system allows for this.

In all things (save the purchase of the bullitt), I typically take my time and quantify the variables before moving forward. At the moment outside of the general theory of turbos and some of "dounut media's science garage" I am a complete idiot when it comes to the different brands of turbos and such. I do know that i will eventually bag the car for a more "push button" suspension so I do want to keep the turbos as insulated and heat fluid as possible

Here is what I understand:
1. Turbos use exhaust air to spin impactors that pull in cool air in order to improve air/fuel ratios

2. As turbos use the exhaust air as opposed to pulleys they are less strenuous on the engine during normal driving conditions (this does not hold true as you turn up boost to drag strip levels)

3. For reasons listed in 2, turbos tend to provide better gas mileage during normal use.

4. For reasons listed in 2, turbos can have lag. This can be offset by staggering turbo spin ups in a twin turbo system (I am unaware if this is how your system works as the turbos seem to be the same size)

5. For reasons listed in 2, turbos can get crazy hot.

Here is what I do not understand:

1. What is the difference between all of your different turbos? I know more expensive is typically better, but for most pure performance mods better does not always mean a longer life cycle. I plan to keep this car for a long time and do not want to have to replace turbos and retune every year. I have not upgraded my trans from the mt82 so I am not looking to make ungodly horses atm. After I upgrade the split axle and the trans, I might want beefier turbos... but right now I just need a dependable setup that offers gains comparable to a supercharger. Our standard 62mm cast wheel private label turbos included in the kit can support 1,000+rwhp. For applications over 800rwhp we recommend the ball bearing upgrade ($500). Ball bearing turbos will spool up slightly quicker and provide better longevity as they can take more abuse. The other turbos we offer (Precision 62mm, 64mm, etc.) can support higher horsepower. The 62s can support 1,200+ and the 64s can support over 1,400rwhp. If you're keeping the motor stock I recommend the standard turbos and, if it is in your budget, doing the ball bearing upgrade.

2. Are headers required for the turbo setup, can I get them cated, and will they still work with the stock active exhaust? You will need a 2011-2014 Mustang GT driver side header ($250). We can supply you with two high flow cat pipes that can be bolted into the system for an additional $250 ($125 per cat pipe).

3. Do I have to upgrade the fuel system above the 56lbs offered by ford performance? If so, how does that effect the "fuel and tune options" that list a base 56lb fuel system? For over 650rwhp you will need to add a JMS PowerMax fuel pump voltage booster ($489). For over 700rwhp you'll either need to go with the tuning package that includes Deatschwerks 95lb fuel injectors or Injector Dynamics ID1050x fuel injectors.

4. Is it true that the stock vac gauge can be modified to report boost? The vac gauge really is redundant for me as I have an electronics pack that shows vac in digital on the dash. That may be possible but I recommend a dedicated boost gauge ($85). If you want the ability to adjust boost from the driver's seat, rather than changing the springs in the wastegates, you can ass a Turbosmart eBoost2 electronic boost controller ($572). This boost controller also acts as a boost gauge.

5. I live in an area that sees ran about 4 months out of the year. I know on the mustang6g forum you all noted that you took a very long drive in the rain and noticed no issues. As this system uses the stock CAI on the bullitt, will my acceptable driving conditions change or stay the same? The system is designed a GT stock air box where the piping snakes through the air box (filter is removed). Since you have a Bullitt with a cold air intake you'll need to run our top mount turbo system's intake tube.

I hope this information is helpful for you are any other bullitt owner dealing with forced induction.

OP
OP

Bannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Bear_Stang,

Great info and answers my question about injector size (56lbs) and when you need to upgrade. Since my car will stay under 650whp, that explains why my shop states I have plenty of fuel left to support the smaller pulley. I saw your note about the Vacuum gauge modification. What I did was swap in the stock gauge pack from the 2018 EcoBoost mustang. Doing so replaces the Bullitt Vacuum gauge with a vacuum/boost gauge. You can get one for $252 here: https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-pe...ormance-pack-ecoboost-2015-2019/p/FR3Z10849C/

Now currently it is not registering boost, but I think it is a matter of where the stock pressure sending unit is located relative to the one on the Edlebrock SC. I'll get that sorted out when I take it back in to fix the drivability issues and new pulley installed.

A couple of notes about why I selected the Eforce over the whipple:.
  • The Whipple seemed to be targeting much higher RWHP than the Stage ! Eforce. 800 vs 635. My main goal was a reasonable HP increase with the least stress on the Engine..Coyote Car guy on YouTube, burnt up a piston on his GT with the Whipple Charger.
  • SC efficiency: as you mentioned before an SC by nature that it is driven by the crank has some parasitic loss all the time. The Eaton design is supposed to be very efficient in design and uses less hp to drive it.
  • Superficial Reasons:
    • The E-Force set up looks like something that most people would think came from the factory. Very clean look IMO.
    • Noise: as a fellow owner, you know how fantastic the exhaust note is on the Bullitt. I did not want that drowned out by what sounds like a broken power steering pump. The Edelbrock is all but silent even at full boost.
You and I seem to be cut from the same mold as I am a research freak before I make any significant purchase as well. I't partially why I am upset with Edelbrock since when I called they set it would fit the Bullitt.

Thanks again for the info you provided.

JB
Sponsored