Sponsored

2019 Bang & Olufsen retrofit for 2015-2018 S550

UncleBooger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP triple black 'vert 6 spd with Roush SC
It appears that the 2019 S550 will finally do away with the Shaker Pro and replace it with a 1000w B&O sound system. Given the vast similarities among the model years, the fact that the stereo was unchanged for 2018, and the 2019 interior looks identical; I am of the (somewhat uninformed) opinion that swapping to the upgraded stereo should be a matter of plug and play components and perhaps some Forscan coding.

While I do not know how good the B&O system will sound, it's GOTTA be an improvement over what is in the 2015-2018. Buying the parts new likely will not be good value. However, given the number of people that immediately rip out the factory audio; as soon as these hit the ground in decent numbers, a ready supply of new OEM parts should be popping up on E-bay.

Anyone have any further knowledge on feasibility?
Sponsored

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
Crutchfield has a lot of good products for all but your most extreme audiophiles, no shame in that. In regard to a retrofit, I'm sure people will complain about how bad the new system is regardless. Its been happening since the dawn of time, Mach, Shaker, all garbage according to most. Don't know about you, but I didn't buy all the Mustangs Ive bought because of their radios. Anytime I haven't been happy with the audio output, I've upgraded. Fords job is to find something that fits the masses, which is usually somewhere in the middle. Not make every stereo competition quality.

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
While I do not know how good the B&O system will sound, it's GOTTA be an improvement over what is in the 2015-2018. Buying the parts new likely will not be good value. However, given the number of people that immediately rip out the factory audio; as soon as these hit the ground in decent numbers, a ready supply of new OEM parts should be popping up on E-bay.

Anyone have any further knowledge on feasibility?
I would, and have repeatedly, recommend going to a local HiFi shop and listening to a few sets of speakers to see what kind of sound you like... bright and clinical, warm and mellow, etc... bring some music you are familiar with.

A good source for practically new equipment is the Car Audio Classified forum at DIYMobileAudio (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/). They also have forums for discussing equipment selection, installation and so on. The people there are very knowledgeable...

OP
OP

UncleBooger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP triple black 'vert 6 spd with Roush SC
I was very into car audio for about two decades, and even won an IASCA trophy way back when (well, the installer did with my car: Brax amps and speakers, Graphic Pro front and graphic 6 rear, Adire subs, in a Merc 560SEL, Becker 7946 head, can't remember what we were using as a proc).

Life and time have changed my priorities; this time around I'm just not wanting to do anything aftermarket and want as close to plug and play as I can get. Hence the stock solution being appealing as an improvement. I suppose it COULD be worse but I can't imagine how.

Given how cheap the parts are on Ebay and if the B&O parts sell for similar prices, this should cost no more than $5-600, a day of effort, and some elbow grease. If hacking is required though, that will be a different matter.

I suppose we'll see.

ZXERT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
We will know when we have parts access for the 2019s. The telling part will be comparing the wiring diagram part numbers for the door, dash and floor wiring harnesses.

If they are similar parts across the shaker and b&o then you will be fine. Most likely replacing the amps. subs and speakers and that will do it.

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
OEM audio with branded audio names are great at providing descent sound with low power drivers and value engineered devices. Plenty of B&O OEM car stuff on ebay that looks visually similar.
How much more magic can one get out of a OEM 6.5 round ?

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Given how cheap the parts are on Ebay and if the B&O parts sell for similar prices, this should cost no more than $5-600, a day of effort, and some elbow grease. If hacking is required though, that will be a different matter.
"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know" In other words, I'd rather spend $600 on something I've heard than something I haven't. I'm assuming that you'd listen to the new Mustang before buying the equipment off ebay... :)

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Uh.... Crutchfield has Audiofrog, high end Focal, etc. It has enough for extreme audiphiles. It's just expensive from there. I can get most of what they sell for less.

Most of the time, branded stereos that come with mass production cars are just that... branded stereos. They have some different audio settings and maybe a very SLIGHTLY better quality speaker, usually just more power from an amplifier than the base stereo.

Having installed car stereos for years before finally moving on, the upgraded stereos in so many cars were literally the exact same speakers (even same part number), just they had an amplifier in the trunk or under the seat or wherever instead of just being powered from the back of the head unit.

I have no faith that a B&O stereo in a Ford Mustang will be produced with high end speakers, a low S/N high-grade amplifier, and anything more than minimal power output and maybe some surround effects to accomplish a different sound.

The only "branded stereo" in a car that actually seemed to have speakers from the actual branded company is Alpine. And even those speakers were cheap as all sin.

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
Yeah there is some seriously expensive stuff on there...love the Focal home audio, sure their auto stuff is just as good

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 2015 Mustang GT PP
Id be interested in impriving my audio quality and have a clean bass line in my 2015 mustang gt premium without adding external amps etc. I would be very interested in hearing the 2019 mustang audio system and would be very happy if it could be retrofitted.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
As @wildcatgoal said, Crutchfield can be a little pricey, but they do have a big range of things to get. As @mumbles said, diymobileaudio is a great place to get really good equipment (most people there selling keep their stuff pristine) and information. Mumbles also knows I was there not too long ago and got some very nice speakers and a dsp for very good prices (see sig). @HextallS550 hooked me up over there by posting a WTB in the classifieds for me. People were more than helpful and I got what I got and it looks brand new.
I'm going to shout this...when buying speaker, BE VERY WARY OF EBAY...there are a lot of high-end speakers that look like great deals and a lot of those are counterfeits, especially brands like Morel and Hertz.

drain89

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dwain
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 2002 WS6, 2012 Tacoma
I’m not interested in crutchfield or other aftermarket solutions.
Like the op asked, what’s involved in retrofitting the B&O components?
My GT350R is a 17 and has the electronics package. The shaker stereo system is terrible in it. I’ve heard good things about the b&o 12 speaker system. If it’s a plug and play retrofit I’m in. But I don’t want to hack up my car to do it.
Sponsored