Sponsored

2019 and 2020 4" to 8" Screen Upgrade + Drive Mode Toggle Switch Enable Writeup

ColdShotxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT A10 300A Base
I swapped to an 8" and activated drive mode in my 2021 Mustang Gt non-pp auto from a 2021 Mustang. The hardware was plug and play and I made these three changes.
  • ABS 760-02-02 xxxx-3xxx
  • IPC 720-06-01 6C7F-8000-18B1
  • BDYCM 726-41-01 2nd digit from 1 to 0.
Everything works great.

20230205_145801.jpg
Sponsored

MlpAlv5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang GT
I can tell you from the research I've done that it's almost plug and play on 2019+ cars. Slap in the APIM and screen, slap in the new bezel, and then there's literally one line you have to change with ForScan to tell the BCM it has the 8 inch system now. All the wiring and back end is identical. My theory is that this was done so that every car could run FordPass and the data collection stuff. The only exception is if you get an APIM from a non Mustang, then there's a bit more you have to do. I also highly recommend getting a 2019+ APIM, because you'll have a much easier time upgrading to the latest firmware and you won't lose FordPass compatibility.
What line is this bro?

Spang550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Performance Package
I would like to share my experience doing the upgrade. I swapped in an 8” from a 2020 GT into my base 2020 GT. The hardware swap was smooth and enabling the toggles was easy. However I had a few minor bugs. My volume was lower than it should be, especially on phone calls, I no longer had my dif temp info in guages, I had the chimes come out of the gauges instead of the speakers. I had to toggle the hazard switch up to get it to work and up to turn it off(double toggle). I was and you an an extent am a total Forscan novice.

For volume I just needed to go to ACM 727-01-01 and change xx0x xxxx xx as stated on the forum. For my other issues I reached out to both Tom Hextal and Breeves. Both were great to deal with but Tom only does complete kits, not patchwork coding. Breeves hooked me up with the other codes I needed though (I’d share them but it feels wrong to deny Breeves business after he helped me out, it only cost me $50). My recommendation if you get stuck is to contact him. If you want to keep the process simple (but more expensive) just pay either of them for a complete kit.

The only code I have yet to track down between Breeves and my research on this forum and the Forscan forum is the door chime code.

UPDATE: Didn’t want to be that guy that said he’d update but didn’t. So I was never able to track down the issue. Since everything else works flawlessly I just decided to rock the chimes not coming from the speakers. Not my ideal but if that’s my price for getting drive modes, apple car play and making my interior look way nicer I’d say it’s well worth it.

Last edited:

MlpAlv5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang GT
Hey man I was having similar issues but I spent 100 dollars and someone remote fixed all my issues. There’s more than just one line bro it’s a few atleast for my car I have a 2022

Spang550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
Hey man I was having similar issues but I spent 100 dollars and someone remote fixed all my issues. There’s more than just one line bro it’s a few atleast for my car I have a 2022
I have a similar situation. I’ll update my post when I know how my updates go. (Ill be playing around with all I learned tomorrow). Who was your guy? I am currently working with Breeves

Sponsored

MlpAlv5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang GT
I have a similar situation. I’ll update my post when I know how my updates go. (Ill be playing around with all I learned tomorrow). Who was your guy? I am currently working with Breeves
That’s him bro. He’s good

Fireman 52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
What line is this bro?
Can anyone tell me if getting one out of a 2021 would work in my 2020 gt. I have checked the vin on the 2021 and it came from factory with navigation. They also have 8" out of 2020 but have not checked with dealers with vin if they also have factory navigation.

Fireman 52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
I can tell you from the research I've done that it's almost plug and play on 2019+ cars. Slap in the APIM and screen, slap in the new bezel, and then there's literally one line you have to change with ForScan to tell the BCM it has the 8 inch system now. All the wiring and back end is identical. My theory is that this was done so that every car could run FordPass and the data collection stuff. The only exception is if you get an APIM from a non Mustang, then there's a bit more you have to do. I also highly recommend getting a 2019+ APIM, because you'll have a much easier time upgrading to the latest firmware and you won't lose FordPass compatibility.
I am getting the whole set for my 2020 gt from a 2021 gt later this week my question is should I or do I need to install the radio part as well as a whole set or does it matter. I really want to make sure my phone will still work to start my car it's great for where I work. I will be getting a forscan so as long as it will reprogram it thar will work for me

Spang550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
I am getting the whole set for my 2020 gt from a 2021 gt later this week my question is should I or do I need to install the radio part as well as a whole set or does it matter. I really want to make sure my phone will still work to start my car it's great for where I work. I will be getting a forscan so as long as it will reprogram it thar will work for me
I am in the middle of working out the bugs in my conversion. If you want it to be simple I’d reach out to Tom Hextall or Breeves to get a complete kit. If not contact either and ask them for their advice. Breeves seems more open to helping you code your own salvaged unit.

DNA_DUDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Base
Well I have been following this thread for about a month and last Friday I pulled the trigger and bought an 8" kit from Midway Mustang for my 2019 GT Base Model. It came in yesterday afternoon and I am going to start the install later today or tomorrow morning and see how it goes. I want to give a thank you to @IndyRN for starting this thread and updating. If it wasn't for him I don't think I would try this. I will come back with an update tomorrow night.

Sponsored

DNA_DUDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Base
I just got mine yesterday and wondering the same thing. I am going to start the install tonight and compare the radios. I figure if the part numbers are the same then it won't matter.

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I just got mine yesterday and wondering the same thing. I am going to start the install tonight and compare the radios. I figure if the part numbers are the same then it won't matter.
The radio was the same for mine.

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I think the black plug is the gps antenna but not 100% sure. Never seen the yellow one.

DNA_DUDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Base
Phoned a friend who works at a ford dealership. Yellow plug is for XM Radio. Don't care much for it and don't want to deal with wiring up an antenna through the car. Keeping my old radio in. If anyone is looking for a Sirius XM capable radio, just hit me up.
Sponsored