2019 and 2020 4" to 8" Screen Upgrade + Drive Mode Toggle Switch Enable Writeup

Mansa M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT PP1 19'
As you said, drive modes can't force anything the PCM doesn't normally do, so I don't see how they could say anything.
The amount of information from you guys is a goldmine, so thank you all.

Ice since you have a 6MT, you did eveything mentionned by Indy and everything worked? If adding the drive modes is what creates other issues, as some mention, I rather just plug and play and leave the modes alone...Can you confirm.
Sponsored

TheLandShark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Update:. Just had Tom Hextall go through the Forscan. There is quite a few more lines of Forscan that need to be touched. I recommend if anyone who wants to do this reach out to him. Be warned he is extremely busy, he also works for Ford in the engineering dept. He knows his stuff.
Jesse from infotainment was able to fix my drive modes and hazard switch in less than two min. Infotainment is an awesome company. Programming the update codes can be done right Thu other resources.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Jesse from infotainment was able to fix my drive modes and hazard switch in less than two min. Infotainment is an awesome company. Programming the update codes can be done right Thu other resources.
Good to hear...

HeatherW_809

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heather
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Edit: There are changes to the 2021 and newer models. Some of you may have to edit additional lines to unlock all of the features you want. I do not have a 2021+ car currently, so I cannot offer advice on those changes.

Update: I can only speak for the 2020, but no additional wiring is needed. Do not purchase or change your harness if you own a 2020! I purchased a Bezel/Radio/ACM/APIM from a 2019 and it was plug and play.

DO:

If you plan on upgrading your 2019-2020 without utilizing with Forscan, it will work. The only function missing will be the Drive Mode toggle switch. However, you must sync your fordpass PRIOR to installing the new unit. It will not work with the new system. The fix is to pull your dash and reinstall your old radio to sync up as the VIN will not match and you will not get the authentication notification. With Forscan, you can update the VIN and fix this as well.

Upgrade your radio to the newest version of Sync using a USB flash drive. Over the air updates did not work with my system, but your mileage may vary. The update takes about 20 minutes and it is very much so worth it if you are running 3.3 or older.

DO NOT:

Use master reset unless you have no other option. If you reset your radio, it will disable your MyFordPass authentication. Without updating the vin or reinstalling your old radio, there's no way to connect your fordpass to the new system. You will lose the remote start/lock functions on your phone.

The 4" to 8" thread has a ton of good information, but it does not apply to 2019's and 2020's. I've done some research and have decided to do a write up with what I learn throughout the process. I've got my screen/APIM/ACM on the way and it should be here shortly. I will try to document the installation with as many pictures and videos as possible.

What I've learned so far:

The Shelby GT350/GT350R Bezel will not work with a base interior. You have to get the premium bezel. The switches are programmed differently and will not interface correctly.

In previous years, a custom/modified harness is required. However, for a 2020, the plug from the base model is the same.

The USB hub (At least in my 2020) is the correct hub for apple car play.

You can enable drive modes through Forscan if you upgrade to a Premium Bezel. Here's how:

Enabling Drive Mode Selector Toggle with FORScan:

Connect your OBDII Coding Tool to your car and computer. Switch your tool to the HS-CAN feature. Turn your ignition on, but do not start the car.
*I purchased This OBDII Module and it was compatible with windows 10 and my car. No drivers were needed.

Open FORScan and follow the prompts. It will ask you to switch it from HS-CAN to MS-CAN to read the modules in the second position. Do this and press OK.

Click the "Computer Processor" image and select ABS (As Built). Press the blue Play button and let the module load. Find line "760-02-02" and change the following numbers:

xxxx-3xxx (ONLY change the fifth number. Leave the numbers in the X slots be)
If you own a performance package car, change it to xxx-7xxx instead.

Hit WRITE.

Select the STOP button at the bottom of FORScan.

Now select "IPC" on the same list as before under the computer processor. Find lines: "720-06-01" if you have an automatic. Change the code to 6C7F-8000-18B1. If you have a manual, change the code to 786F-0664-1897.

Hit WRITE. Turn off ignition and wait a minute or two. Start the car and enjoy your new toggle switch!
New to the forum, and have a 2021 Base model and was wondering if the same codes work to enable drive modes. I have tried to go through several threads, but thought it might be easier to just ask. I have upgraded my instrument cluster and to the 8" screen. Any one been successful with these codes on a 2021?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What year is the screen out of?

Sponsored

PVAMT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Deep impact blue / silver stripes, red pinstripes
Vehicle Showcase
I just a few weeks ago did Haress by Hextall’s stereo swap. I was amazed at how much programming he had to do. So far so good, it’s a huge difference between this and my base stereo. I would definitely recommend going this route if you want to upgrade.
Pete

HeatherW_809

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heather
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
The dealership purchased all from infotainment, and install was done at dealership. They say they don't know how to activate the drive modes. I just didn't want to try these codes and it mess something up. 😕

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealership purchased all from infotainment, and install was done at dealership. They say they don't know how to activate the drive modes. I just didn't want to try these codes and it mess something up. 😕

Well thats going to be an issue as folks like Hextall and others who do this aren't going to want to help you with the Forscan edits if you didn't buy anything from them...kind of can't blame them. Jeez how much money may I ask did you spend for the dealer to do it. I got the whole thing from a totalled 2019 Mustang GT for $450 and that included the premium door panels with it. I bought a Nav APIM from Tom Hextall and he helped me with the programming.

Also, just an FYI Tom Hextall of Hextall is simply awesome!!!

HeatherW_809

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heather
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Yea I spent over a grand for the radio upgrade. I've heard nothing but great stuff about Tom. I did reach out and was willing to pay, but since I didn't purchase from them he couldn't help. Which I understand completely. I should have done more research before letting the dealership do it, but I bought the car new and they pretty much took it from there. Maybe I will find a thread where some one has upgraded a 2021.

PVAMT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Deep impact blue / silver stripes, red pinstripes
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I spent over a grand for the radio upgrade. I've heard nothing but great stuff about Tom. I did reach out and was willing to pay, but since I didn't purchase from them he couldn't help. Which I understand completely. I should have done more research before letting the dealership do it, but I bought the car new and they pretty much took it from there. Maybe I will find a thread where some one has upgraded a 2021.
I had removed the bass roll off after replacing my speakers and it wasn’t too bad changing that code. Tom was reprogramming for over an hour. He definitely knows what he was doing. It probably would have taken me a month.

Sponsored

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT
I had removed the bass roll off after replacing my speakers and it wasn’t too bad changing that code. Tom was reprogramming for over an hour. He definitely knows what he was doing. It probably would have taken me a month.
He's good people! Bought my sync3 from him and he's doing my digital dash programming for me so everything is 100%.Super good guy to have in your corner

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He's good people! Bought my sync3 from him and he's doing my digital dash programming for me so everything is 100%.Super good guy to have in your corner

The main thing about Tom is not only his knowledge its his connections within Ford. I had an issue installing my 4.09 gears. The installer tried to reinstall my Ford Performance tune without a trickle charger. It bricked the ECU. Tom was able to help me with Ford Performance to get my car up and running again, and now everything is perfect.

HeatherW_809

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heather
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
I got mine off Facebook Marketplace

Your issue was the same one I had. For me, I went to line 726-41-01 (bdycm as built) and changed the second digit from 1 to 0, which got my hazard lights working fine.
Hey all! Where can I find the codes to change the hazard light issue and activate the drive modes in a 2021 gt? I upgraded to the 8” screen system, but can’t find anything on what codes to use for the 2021. I had read they were different than the previous models. Any help is greatly appreciated!

HeatherW_809

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heather
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
What year is the screen out of?
Not sure why I never saw your reply on this, so sorry. My upgrade was for the 2021 model bought through infotainment. My dealership did the upgrade, and of course they say they can’t activate the modes. I just can’t find any information on the updated codes. :(

Mason20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamont
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang Gt
I have a 2020 Gt Base. I installed my new 4 to 8 kit from hellhorse performance and was able to get the drive modes and hazard switches working via forscan. I’m trying reactive my fordpass but I’m not understanding IndyRn directions properly. I go to forscan to check the vin to update or change it but I see nothing there where I can do that. Can someone help me with that? I still have the old unit. The thread said to reinstall it to sync it up, but once I don’t that and put the the new unit back in will it still work ?
Sponsored