2019 and 2020 4" to 8" Screen Upgrade + Drive Mode Toggle Switch Enable Writeup

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I swapped out mine but the VIN on the sync 3 is different from my car. FordPass works but I just don’t get the fancy features with the mobile remote start. My sync 3 has no nav
Do you have an auto?
Sponsored

NovaSayan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sayan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
My Sync 3 APIM, Bezel, and Screen, all from 2019 came in yesterday. I installed it into my 2021 GT with no issues. Everything was plug-and-play, and it worked right away. Did not run into any Ford Pass issues, as I already had it linked to my car prior to the installation. I don't know if this is what happens to other people, but my Sync automatically recognized my car's VIN, now it has my car's vin in its setting. I changed around 3 lines of codes and my hazard lights and drive modes work perfectly. Thank you all for the great information on this thread.

1648789309371.png

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My Sync 3 APIM, Bezel, and Screen, all from 2019 came in yesterday. I installed it into my 2021 GT with no issues. Everything was plug-and-play, and it worked right away. Did not run into any Ford Pass issues, as I already had it linked to my car prior to the installation. I don't know if this is what happens to other people, but my Sync automatically recognized my car's VIN, now it has my car's vin in its setting. I changed around 3 lines of codes and my hazard lights and drive modes work perfectly. Thank you all for the great information on this thread.

1648789309371.png
Where did you get your parts from?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT

1648789309371.png

Which lines of code did you change?

I did the 2 in this thread regarding the drive modes and that works fine on my 2020. But my hazards are weird now. They work - but I have to toggle the switch a second time to turn them off. Weird

Sponsored

NovaSayan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sayan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Where did you get your parts from?
I got mine off Facebook Marketplace

Which lines of code did you change?

I did the 2 in this thread regarding the drive modes and that works fine on my 2020. But my hazards are weird now. They work - but I have to toggle the switch a second time to turn them off. Weird
Your issue was the same one I had. For me, I went to line 726-41-01 (bdycm as built) and changed the second digit from 1 to 0, which got my hazard lights working fine.

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Any chance if you know if this would void your warranty and same goes with drive modes? Have to bring mine in for warranty work and am curious to see if this would be an issue

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Any chance if you know if this would void your warranty and same goes with drive modes? Have to bring mine in for warranty work and am curious to see if this would be an issue
The simple answer is yes. The long answer is that it depends. Ford can tell when you have made changes to the car's "build" data, and IDS will inform them of such. So if you have a BCM fail in 2 or 3 years from now, I could absolutely see them saying "Sorry, you modified the software so we won't cover it".

As far as an engine or trans blowing up, no. That's not going to be affected by this. I suppose if all you do is APIM swap and don't touch any of the build data (so no drive modes) you'd probably be OK, but don't be a tool and try to warranty a screen or APIM issue when you added it yourself, haha.

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
The simple answer is yes. The long answer is that it depends. Ford can tell when you have made changes to the car's "build" data, and IDS will inform them of such. So if you have a BCM fail in 2 or 3 years from now, I could absolutely see them saying "Sorry, you modified the software so we won't cover it".

As far as an engine or trans blowing up, no. That's not going to be affected by this. I suppose if all you do is APIM swap and don't touch any of the build data (so no drive modes) you'd probably be OK, but don't be a tool and try to warranty a screen or APIM issue when you added it yourself, haha.
No, I fully do not expect nor am trying to have them warranty something I paid for and put in…. My car has a seeping headgasket. I was thinking maybe the drive modes could be a “cause.” Maybe. At like 1%. But the car’s PCM has never been open and the car has never been tuned. Only put a drop-in K&N filter

I personally don’t care about the 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty on the electronics but I care about the PCM and drivetrain, which is why I never touched that part of the car.

there’s nothing forscan can do to modify the PCM, that requires a tune. It seems the PCM is still within it’s set parameters with the drive modes. Otherwise, they wouldn’t work.

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
I fully expect them to cover my engine under warranty. But the drive modes made me wonder.

they are not directly modifying the PCM, and clearly the PCM has a data set for the drive modes.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I fully expect them to cover my engine under warranty. But the drive modes made me wonder.

they are not directly modifying the PCM, and clearly the PCM has a data set for the drive modes.
As you said, drive modes can't force anything the PCM doesn't normally do, so I don't see how they could say anything.

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
As you said, drive modes can't force anything the PCM doesn't normally do, so I don't see how they could say anything.
I appreciate the reply. You simply never know 100% but I thought I’d ask the group. Seems like after reading the whole thing, the drive modes do not modify the pcm but simply adjust the throttle mapping as per guidance and control by the pcm.
i feel a good bit better now so I appreciate it. Thankfully I never touched the motor like I planned to. This is making me think that I might build a built motor for the ecoboost. Never seen a car with a bad head gasket at 11k miles

JohnWick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gilbert
Vehicle(s)
S550 - 2019
Enabling Drive Mode Selector Toggle with FORScan:

Connect your OBDII Coding Tool to your car and computer. Switch your tool to the HS-CAN feature. Turn your ignition on, but do not start the car.
*I purchased This OBDII Module and it was compatible with windows 10 and my car. No drivers were needed.

Open FORScan and follow the prompts. It will ask you to switch it from HS-CAN to MS-CAN to read the modules in the second position. Do this and press OK.

Click the "Computer Processor" image and select ABS (As Built). Press the blue Play button and let the module load. Find line "760-02-02" and change the following numbers:

xxxx-3xxx (ONLY change the fifth number. Leave the numbers in the X slots be)
If you own a performance package car, change it to xxx-7xxx instead.

Hit WRITE.

Select the STOP button at the bottom of FORScan.

Now select "IPC" on the same list as before under the computer processor. Find lines: "720-06-01" if you have an automatic. Change the code to 6C7F-8000-18B1. If you have a manual, change the code to 786F-0664-1897.

Hit WRITE. Turn off ignition and wait a minute or two. Start the car and enjoy your new toggle switch!
Thank you so much brother, you have no idea how much this post helped me in the process!

I just changed my old 4" screen for a 8" with CD and I had no problems at all! Like you, it was plug and play for me (I own a 2019 s550) just changed three lines of code to enable drive mode selector & fix the hazard lights. Really happy with the outcome!!

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Back in an S550, will try to keep a closer eye on this thread now.
Sponsored