Sponsored

2018 Transmission 6 speed manual vs. 10 speed automatic

I <3 Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP 10 Speed Automatic
I have owned numerous sports cars over the years (including a full bolt-on 17 GT PP) and always swore that I would never own an automatic sports car, until I drove the new 10 speed automatic. I was also able to go for a ride in the Lebanon Ford Whipple prototype car - which was equipped with the 10 speed automatic. I was sold at that point.

With that being said, if the MT82 were more proven to handle large amounts of power reliably, I would have still went with the manual. If my power goals were around the 400-500 whp range, again, I would have chosen the manual. For anyone seeking boost and/or a fast car at the dragstrip, the automatic is simply a more logical choice.

I do miss rowing the gears, but don’t regret my choice of purchasing the automatic.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Modern era huh? :)

Regarding the VW comment, that's why I said "performance". I realize that low power front wheel drive econoboxes have lighter clutches. I've had the misfortune to drive and even own some, so I know what it is like.

The clutch pedal in a Mustang still seems super light to me. Your arguments haven't convinced me that there's a problem. I agree it's all relative. I'm a bigger guy. I assume if you are a small person the clutch feels heavier to you.

The Mustang clutch is definitely not heavy, you need to get down the gym if you think it is. I removed the assist spring because it is was too light and lacked feel, as have many others. My old BMW M3 had a heavier clutch.

I guess I'm not that big of a guy then. Especially with today's standards in America... I'm only 6'1 185 pounds.

Still... it's all relative. Some people say the clutch feel is light, some say it's heavy. We will agree to disagree.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I guess I'm not that big of a guy then. Especially with today's standards in America... I'm only 6'1 185 pounds.

Still... it's all relative. Some people say the clutch feel is light, some say it's heavy. We will agree to disagree.
185 lbs - you're a big guy by my standard. You should be plenty big enough to be able to push the clutch pedal in. What is it, 20 lbs or something? Do you have trouble standing up?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

185 lbs - you're a big guy by my standard. You should be plenty big enough to be able to push the clutch pedal in. What is it, 20 lbs or something? Do you have trouble standing up?
Hey now! :lol:

I only occasionally sit down when I pee. And that's because I'm doing a number 3!

I have no problem operating the clutch on my GT or previous Ecoboost. All I said was I would consider the clutch to be heavy. And this was a comparison to what I've driven in the past.

1SickStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red PP1 Mustang GT, 2018 Volvo XC90
I had the intention of buying a manual this time around as a fun street car. I've had both an MT82 and 6r80 car in the past. I test drove the new 10spd though and ended up driving home with it. Not sure how many dealerships will let you test out the Drag Strip Mode but if they will give it a shot, the power thru the shifts surprised me.

I'm sure there will be times I wish I had gotten a manual, but in my short time with the car this auto is lots of fun on the street.
That's what I'm looking to hear. I've ALWAYS had a manual trans, being an old school guy, rowing through gears in races took skill, and Autos weren't where they are today. That being said since I'm in the hunt for a new Stang, and the A10 seems to be the faster of the 2 by all accounts, if I'm spending 40k on a muscle car and going to add more power I want the fastest one available, and that seems to be the A10.

How is it with roll racing? Have you done any? Depending on the speed you're at does it adapt to the proper gear it needs to be at, and you're just hit the go pedal and off?

Still doing my research and need to test drive both myself, and then make a decision but always great to hear from people who have the options you're looking into.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual

It's not about weight but muscle mass, if you find the clutch difficult to press. Manuals are only for those who are in good shape.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I've driven a number of different manuals, and the 2018 Mustang is lighter than anything I've ever driven before. I've now swapped out the stock clutch spring for the Steeda. It's better, but it still feels pretty light to me.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I've driven a number of different manuals, and the 2018 Mustang is lighter than anything I've ever driven before. I've now swapped out the stock clutch spring for the Steeda. It's better, but it still feels pretty light to me.
The Mustang clutch is lighter than my old Sentra. One of the lightest I have owned. Our 350Z is 5x heavier.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

It's not about weight but muscle mass, if you find the clutch difficult to press. Manuals are only for those who are in good shape.
I assure you muscle mass isn't a problem. I'm in my late 20s, I stay in shape, eat plenty of protein, wear minimalist shoes with zero drop, and have been driving manual for over 10 years.

I understand some of you guys like to be macho man on the internet and say you can press the clutch pedal in with your pinky finger and you bench 800 pounds. :lol:

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
It's pretty simple the whole thing...Toss the stock or steeda assist spring and gain a somewhat decent clutch feel... Give it a few weeks and you no longer think about the subject..

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2018/2018-ford-mustang-gt-first-test-review/

Rough review on the automatic.

Acknowledge the significantly faster straight line performance but...

“It keeps the engine out of its powerband, and that’s exactly what you don’t want in a high-revving V-8,” said associate online editor Stefan Ogbac. “It’s quick, but this isn’t an ideal transmission for this type of engine.”

"it was too clever for itself by half, short shifting, throttle pulling, etc.”

"The 10-speed isn’t necessarily bad. It just doesn’t feel like a fully integrated part of the Mustang package. Knowing how enjoyable the manual version is makes the auto’s shortcomings even more frustrating."

All highlights my findings with the 10 speed. Doesn't sound good puttering around town as it short shifts so often, gets a bit hung up with it's shifting algorithms when driving quick, and the ratios are so close that paddle shifting through 10 gears is annoying.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

“It keeps the engine out of its powerband, and that’s exactly what you don’t want in a high-revving V-8,” said associate online editor Stefan Ogbac. “It’s quick, but this isn’t an ideal transmission for this type of engine.”

"it was too clever for itself by half, short shifting, throttle pulling, etc.”.
Sounds about right for a device whose basic calibration is required to suit emissions and fuel economy agendas regardless of where the engine it's hooked up behind would rather be running when you're in some performance driving mode.

Manually shifting when the gear spacing among all of the gears you commonly need is much closer than about 1.25 apart probably will feel a bit too busy in normal driving. Most of the A10 ratios are less than that, and some are less than 1.20 apart.

FWIW, over the years I've noted differences in clutch 'feel' much more than differences in required effort. Not saying that differences in effort aren't there, just that I've never found them to be big enough to warrant complaint or even discussion.

Norm

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Looking at the reviews is interesting, because they seem to be all over the map regarding the transmissions. I don't remember all the sources, but a few early on complained about the changes made to the manual, and how it didn't seem properly geared for the engine, while a few others said it was perfect. Same for the auto - some say it's too many gears, hunting too much and not getting in the right gear, etc., while others say it's almost too aggressive, downshifting at a moment's notice and digging in and is very fast and performance oriented.

I debated on which transmission to get, and still wonder which I'd prefer. In my limited time driving the auto, it definitely seems quick, and sport mode noticeably changes its operation. Over the weekend, I took my girlfriend on the first reasonably long drive in it, and put it in sport mode after driving around in D, and even from the passenger seat she could tell a big difference - faster down-shifts, holding a gear longer, etc., and of course the rev-matching down-shifts.

If I had enough money, I'd like one of each, but so far, I am not disappointed with the auto. I haven't really pushed it yet, though, so that may change as I do more with it.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2018/2018-ford-mustang-gt-first-test-review/

Rough review on the automatic.

"it was too clever for itself by half, short shifting, throttle pulling, etc.”

"The 10-speed isn’t necessarily bad. It just doesn’t feel like a fully integrated part of the Mustang package. Knowing how enjoyable the manual version is makes the auto’s shortcomings even more frustrating."

All highlights my findings with the 10 speed. Doesn't sound good puttering around town as it short shifts so often, gets a bit hung up with it's shifting algorithms when driving quick, and the ratios are so close that paddle shifting through 10 gears is annoying.
IDK - I might have agreed with that a couple months ago before 2000 miles or so. But at almost 4000 miles now, I've adapted to the 10 speed and it has adapted to me. It takes some time to get used to hearing the car shift so frequently, but it's the new normal now. In fact, I drove my old (now my daughters') 06 recently, and now 6 speeds seems weird.

At first, I felt like it would lug at low rpm in 10th gear and be reluctant to downshift, but either I or the tranny have adapted (probably both) because I don't notice it much anymore, and I will often just drop the shifter into S mode when I know I will be in that speed/gear/rpm range.

Overall as a daily driver, I think the 10 speed auto is great - no complaints at this point. So I disagree with the article - I think with time both the driver and the tranny adapt.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I don't understand the reviewer's "out of the power band" complaint. Does he normally drive a manual "around town" at high revs rather than at the highest practical gear for the mph and traffic conditions? If so why since V8 torque even at low revs gets you above the speed limit very quickly? And, as others have mentioned, if unplanned "sudden" acceleration is needed from a "fuel economy gear" it happens a lot faster than an unplanned downshift of even one gear in a manual.

My 18 now has over 9K Interstate, around town, and autocross miles. S manual for autocross. D for normal driving. Also D drive mode since the drive modes influence transmission shifting in my MagneRide car.

The only time the automatic felt the least bit "not optimum" was when I didn't get the air filter cover properly closed after installing a front anti-roll bar. :doh: This messed with idle calibration and apparently had a slight influence on how the trans responded to the throttle. It did have an impressive lumpy idle until I found the problem. ;) Stock tune.
Sponsored