Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thevalleylocal.net
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB Premium+ Lightning Blue 6spd Pony
Question for those that have driven both and can give a real-world unbiased observation/evaluation (i.e. this isn't a question for those that have a strong preference of manual vs. automatic transmissions).

Since my current vehicle has a manual transmission, I have no problem driving stick. But I'm looking at getting a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost as my daily driver so am looking for opinions/feedback on whether it's best to get the manual or the new 10 speed automatic.

The difference in price doesn't matter to me as much as making sure whatever I get is going to be reliable and problem-free.

In the meantime, I'll continue my research - but a lot of of that is by experts/writers that are test driving brand new cars. I'm looking to this Forum for some real-world everyday experience and feedback from actual owners.

Thanks much!

Chris
(with apologies if this has been beaten into the ground on another thread already - I did do a search first and didn't find anything, and admit I might have missed one, so will be searching some more)
Sponsored

samlee27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I got an automatic Mustng, would never go there again.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
The 6 speed MT82D4 in the 18 mustang has been improved from what I read. But the experience in the GT for me is that it shifts really easy. At high rpms it shifts easy and no lock out. My 13 boss at high rpms would not let me shift at times. Terrible trans IMO. My best advice is to go drive one and see for yourself. I drove the 10 speed but chose the manual in the GT.
I didn’t buy the car to drag race but instead use it on the street. Driven in a normal mode the 10speed would not always shift the way I wanted it to. The manual puts you in total control of which gear you want and when. It’s just that simple. Now if you want the WOT quickest shifting car then get the 10 speed.

Last edited:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Ecoboost with A10 is way quicker than Ecoboost manual.
It maximizes the ecoboost power, gets motor to peak power and keeps it closer to peak vs manual. Add in the fast upshifts and its killer.
Drove both, and I love manuals, but 10R80 is impressive performance.
Just know if you go manual for the experience(which is totally cool), you will get walked by same engine w the insanely consistent 10R80 trans street, strip and road course.

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
I've historically only built manual cars but based on the hype and results I went A10. It's boring to drive but I love it in traffic and when the time comes to romp on it, it's downright joyful. Depends on what you want to do with the car. Mostly DD (with less traffic) , just get the manual.

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Whats downshifting the manual like with two overdrive gears?..do you gotta find fourth gear for passing someone?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Question for those that have driven both and can give a real-world unbiased observation/evaluation (i.e. this isn't a question for those that have a strong preference of manual vs. automatic transmissions).

Since my current vehicle has a manual transmission, I have no problem driving stick. But I'm looking at getting a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost as my daily driver so am looking for opinions/feedback on whether it's best to get the manual or the new 10 speed automatic.

The difference in price doesn't matter to me as much as making sure whatever I get is going to be reliable and problem-free.

In the meantime, I'll continue my research - but a lot of of that is by experts/writers that are test driving brand new cars. I'm looking to this Forum for some real-world everyday experience and feedback from actual owners.

Thanks much!

Chris
(with apologies if this has been beaten into the ground on another thread already - I did do a search first and didn't find anything, and admit I might have missed one, so will be searching some more)
I’ve posted a few bits in various sub forums on here about the new 10R80 (search my user ID), but I will offer this recommendation:

You’re going to hear and read that 50% hate the A10 or 50% love it a same is true about the MT82, 50/50 and all of those comments coming from real world drivers, but solely based on their own opinions or “shoulda, woulda, coulda and didn’t” gripes about either transmission. You’re also going to see and read biased comments to either trans by those who either don’t want to get out from behind a manual equipped car OR an auto equipped car.

If you have a Ford Dealer close by that has the same model (GT or EB), one with the A10 and one with the MT82 with the SAME rear differential gears make sure you take them out on the highway so you can run through the gears AND get the car up to optimum speed. Tell the salesperson you want to drive it, not granny it on a predetermined 35mph Sales pitch around the block and back to the Dealer.

When driving the A10, be sure to drive it in full auto “D” mode, then drive it in full manual “S” sport drive mode via the drive mode toggle switch.

^^^ That is the only way to really know if you’re going to like the new A10 or the MT82, honestly.

One other thing about the A10, it’s going to feel clunky to some because it’s an adaptive learning transmission - it takes some accrued miles for it to smooth out. So don’t be overly surprised when you do go for a test drive if the auto shifting feels weird to you at first.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Ecoboost with A10 is way quicker than Ecoboost manual.
It maximizes the ecoboost power, gets motor to peak power and keeps it closer to peak vs manual. Add in the fast upshifts and its killer.
Drove both, and I love manuals, but 10R80 is impressive performance.
Just know if you go manual for the experience(which is totally cool), you will get walked by same engine w the insanely consistent 10R80 trans street, strip and road course.
Way quicker? That's interesting since MT had the auto 0-60 in 5.3 and 13.9 in the 1/4 at 97 and C&D had the manual 0-60 in 5.1 and 13.7 in the 1/4 at 102. I know those are two different tests, but doesn't seem way quicker to me. Just curious where you found data on the auto being way quicker.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Way quicker? That's interesting since MT had the auto 0-60 in 5.3 and 13.9 in the 1/4 at 97 and C&D had the manual 0-60 in 5.1 and 13.7 in the 1/4 at 102. I know those are two different tests, but doesn't seem way quicker to me. Just curious where you found data on the auto being way quicker.
Just adding facts...

2 different transmissions AND 2 different rear differentials in those “tested” vehicles.

The MT car was a PP equipped EB with A10 and with the Torsen rear packed with 3.55’s.

The C&D car was a non-PP EB with MT82 and with a non-Torsen Limited Slip rear packed with 3.31’s.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
When driving the A10, be sure to drive it in full auto “D” mode, then drive it in full manual “S” sport drive mode via the drive mode toggle switch.

^^^ That is the only way to really know if you’re going to like the new A10 or the MT82, honestly.

One other thing about the A10, it’s going to feel clunky to some because it’s an adaptive learning transmission - it takes some accrued miles for it to smooth out. So don’t be overly surprised when you do go for a test drive if the auto shifting feels weird to you at first.
Yeah, even though it is an auto it does take some mastering still to make it do what you want.

I've been a life long manual transmission driver. But the newer automatics these days are are amazing. This holds a power band similar to a CVT.

The A10 works nicely with the adaptive cruise control too. It downshifts to maintain or adjust speed as needed.

Sponsored

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
Wait for the '19 and get the auto rev-matching.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Just adding facts...

2 different transmissions AND 2 different rear differentials in those “tested” vehicles.

The MT car was a PP equipped EB with A10 and with the Torsen rear packed with 3.55’s.

The C&D car was a non-PP EB with MT82 and with a non-Torsen Limited Slip rear packed with 3.31’s.
That would make them even farther apart. 3.55's in the manual should only make it a little quicker. I don't think we'll see the auto dominate in the Ecoboost like we are seeing in the V8. I think the 10 speed auto is really harnessing the higher revving V8 by keeping it higher in the rpm's whereas the Ecoboost benefits more from the lower end torque and the auto doesn't shine as much there.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I would say think about how you are using the car. Since it's going to be your DD, if you have a ton of stoplights, and heavy traffic to deal with on the way to work you may want the A10 to save your left leg along with the stress of starting and stopping. If you're lucky, and don't live in or near a big city, and have a few lights, and little traffic you may want the M6 for the fun and added connection to your car.

Or you can just go with your gut, and buy the one it's telling you to buy. My gut decisions have never let me down. :)

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

Thanks much!

Chris
I just picked up my 18 ecoboost auto and I love it. I've been a manual guy since I was 18, I love this transmission, you won't regret it. I'm so glad I converted

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT

Thanks much!

Chris
Click on my user name and look for my posts for input on the 10 speed with a GT. There are LOTS of real world 10 speed experience posts by me and others in those threads I've posted in. Make sure you have a lot of time and patience. ;)

Regarding best? That depends on what you want. The 10 speed in D is a great automatic with some manual control. (read and reread the owner's manual section on the transmission several times before test driving so you can focus on areas of concern). In S it is a little harsh but can have either a little more manual control or essentially complete manual control. In the sports+ and track modes, if you get them, the 10 speed becomes a bit "racy" compared to S in normal. I understand "drag mode" is "WOW" if you can find a place to do a real test.

From what I understand the new manual, if the EB actually has the new manual since my understanding is that it has the same EB ratios as previously, is simply a manual transmission. The EB is not noted for "sounding good" or "liking high revs" so that aspect of a enjoying a manual might be missing. Therefore the 10 speed might be more satisfying to drive.

Dick

PS I'm an OLD guy with lots of experience driving automatics and manuals over the decades.
Sponsored