Sponsored

2018 style steering wheel control on 2015-2017

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
While hunting around I did find that Tasca sells the switch modules for less than $18 so not going to be prohibitively expensive. The ‘18 right spike module is a mirror image of what we have on the left spoke so that one will be perfect, still hoping to find a configuration for the left spoke module that has a voice control icon for the center button. I don’t ever use that but would prefer for it to be correct. Needing to do a bit more research as to whether or not the plugs have changed from ‘17 to ‘18. I suspect not but Ford did make changes to the steering g wheel mounting for this model year so you never know.
Sponsored

S550MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
I think it can be done but the cost will probably be a little more than just the switches. After doing research on an 18 cluster swap I'm pretty sure you'll have to replace the clock spring as well as the switches. I think the clock spring is around $80. Then you would have to reprogram some of the modules using forscan to get everything to work, possibly. To my knowledge no one has done just the audio switches yet but this is the process you use when changing the 18 digital cluster and it has worked for those guys. Just not sure if it would work without the cluster.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I think it can be done but the cost will probably be a little more than just the switches. After doing research on an 18 cluster swap I'm pretty sure you'll have to replace the clock spring as well as the switches. I think the clock spring is around $80. Then you would have to reprogram some of the modules using forscan to get everything to work, possibly. To my knowledge no one has done just the audio switches yet but this is the process you use when changing the 18 digital cluster and it has worked for those guys. Just not sure if it would work without the cluster.
The clock spring does not have to be changed and no reprogramming in Forscan is needed. I just did this change recently. The harness does need slight modifications and the plugs do as well but it is all quite simple and easily reversible. Even after a year of ownership producing some muscle memory, this is one change I really like. So much better to have the audio controls on the side that has my hand on the wheel the majority of the time.

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
The clock spring does not have to be changed and no reprogramming in Forscan is needed. I just did this change recently. The harness does need slight modifications and the plugs do as well but it is all quite simple and easily reversible. Even after a year of ownership producing some muscle memory, this is one change I really like. So much better to have the audio controls on the side that has my hand on the wheel the majority of the time.
do you have additional info, such wire harness modification needed and plug modification. Would love to do this when I swap my wheel out. Thx.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I don’t have any further specific information. Once you have everything apart it becomes very clear what is necessary. I had nothing else to go off of but was able to see that the harness leads cannot just be re-routed to opposite sides. Certain wires needed to be lengthened to reach the other spoke. The plug color codes will not match up either but simple trimming of obstruction in/on the plugs will be obvious to allow them to mate. The only real issue in use is the voice button will no longer have the correct symbol but rather the x>. That is one you will just need to remember but beyond that this is the best ergonomic modification I’ve done.

Last edited:

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
I don’t have any further specific information. Once you have everything apart it becomes very clear what is necessary. I had nothing else to go off of but was able to see that the harness leads cannot just be re-routed to opposite sides. Certain wires needed to be lengthened to reach the other spoke. The plug color codes will not match up either but simple trimming of obstruction in/on the plugs will be obvious to allow them to mate. The only real issue in use is the voice button will no longer have the correct symbol but rather the x>. That is one you will just need to remember but beyond that this is the best ergonomic modification I’ve done.
Great, thank you.
Sponsored