Sponsored

2018 steering wheel audio and mode switches in a 2017

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I never liked the audio controls on the right spoke. When Ford changed the configuration I hoped I could make this work in my 2017 Shelby. I did have to extend three wires to allow the plugs for the respective modules to reach the opposite sude of the wheel and make slight alterations to each plug so it would interface with the new module but nothing drastic and they wiuld still plug back into the otiginal modules if I needed to change it back. One small difference is the Voice Control button that for my car is in the center of the audio control module. The ā€˜18 configuration has that button labeled fir mute. Not a big deal, itā€™s not one I ever use but does still function correctly for voice control. Much happier with the buttons set up this way. View attachment 307474
Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
My '18 has the audio on the right and looks identical to prior years. Was it a late model year change, or perhaps the '19s that have this change?

Kado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
Ooh, they moved the audio controls to the left?? This is one of my biggest pet peeves on my 17! Why would I need audio controls for my right hand when the stereo knobs are within reach. Can you post some additional details on how you did it? Which wires to lengthen, part numbers needed, etc?

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
I would also like more details. Every other cat I have owned had always had audio on the left...including my other car. So when I swap cars I am frequently having to think before I press any steering wheel buttons.

OP
OP
GTthree50

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Ooh, they moved the audio controls to the left?? This is one of my biggest pet peeves on my 17! Why would I need audio controls for my right hand when the stereo knobs are within reach. Can you post some additional details on how you did it? Which wires to lengthen, part numbers needed, etc?
Yes, agreed! Several members here think it is wrong for audio to be on the left, but that makes no ergonomic sense. I do not have the part numbers for the switches as I got them from another forum member. Although there is a related thread on here someplace that does give the numbers. What the parts guy at Ford told me was all they need is a VIN. Go up to the showroom and use one off a car that has the configuration you want and they should be able to order you switches. Apologies but I did not think about doing a DIY for the wires but basically each plug has a wire that splices into one the same color that runs to the plug below it for the lower switch module. If memory serves it was red on the right and yellow on the left. There was another wire on theft side that would not reach the right side so I lengthened that as well for a total of three wires. Very simple. One added thing necessary is slight modification to the plugs. Molex plugs within a family type are basically the same. It is often just a case of a tab or similar that only allows mating with a like colored plug. Looking at what the obstruction was, all I needed to do was take a small pair flush cut wire cutters (with care an Exacto knife would also work)and remove the tab which allowed the green plug to slot perfectly into the grey socket of the new switch module, same for the other side. I reassembled everything and all functions were as they should be. If you have any other questions send me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GTthree50

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I should try to clarify a bit more if I can. The Shelby and the button configuration is different than a GT and these switch modules I used are from a GT since the Shelby has not changed for MY18. That should not matter but the wire color coding may be different since many of the functions from left to right and top to bottom are different. The big thing to remember is that any wire that prevents the plug from reaching the other side needs lengthening. Itā€™s easy to tell once it is all apart. Trickier but still easy is making the plugs mate together. As I said earlier, Molex plugs within a family are basically the same and are only kept from interfacing with the incorrect plug via tabs that can easily be removed to allow connection.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d never thought of it this before, left does seem better. But if itā€™s on the left, the reason I would not have both hands on the wheel is when I am shifting a manual transmission, which is 100% of the Shelbyā€™s. When just chilling on a long casual drive I often drive left hand only, but I canā€™t access any buttons when steering left hand only and right side audio is better. Either way, I find the directional buttons hard to use effectively and reaching the touchscreen hard when sitting in driving position because my arms are just a tad short at cruising distance, while in my further forward track/race seating this is not a concern. I guess Iā€™d like to see the directional buttons removed, and if this were done we would not have a left v right problem.

This seems like a problem for automatic transmission and it seems specific to audio usage, where the left is marginally better, but diminished value. But Ford canā€™t really improve this much without changing the core design to something wildly different like Alexa.

Glad its doable; Iā€™d prefer it on a car upgrade.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
My Audi has rollers on L/R sides that are SO much more intuitive than the Ford buttons.

Hate to say it, but I always have to look at the volume buttons on the wheel, which kind of defeats the purpose. Maybe it will get better with time, but the buttons just aren't intuitive by feel for volume up/down.

By contrast, I used the Audi rollers for volume and track change from day 1 without ever having to look. Oh well, I didn't buy the Shelby because of the steering wheel buttons. LOL :)
Sponsored