2018+ sport toggle switch and a10 trans sport mode questions

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
I have a 2019 gt with the 10speed auto and pp1. I have the dash toggles for the 4 functions- hazards/traction control/steering/mode

the mode toggle is where i have my questions.

since my auto has the "sport" setting, what does changing the mode toggle switch on lower dash to "sport" do if the trans is in drive "d" as opposed to sport "s"?

if i just leave the toggle in normal and use the trans in S, does that mean i get the throttle/trans performance increases with no other traction control/electric systems touched?

If i leave the trans in D and just toggle to sport, what does that do? what if i used both trans in S and toggle set to sport?

the manual doesn't seem to elaborate on this. it does explain the S mode for trans and the sport mode for the toggle but doesn't differentiate between the two.

thanks!
Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
The shifter allows Sport mode (which also allows full manual control via the paddle shifters, regardless of mode), the toggle is Sport+ mode which has slightly more aggressive throttle response compared to Sport and also adjusts the stability control. Also, if you have Magneride, Sport+ changes the damping whereas Sport does not (Sport only changes throttle response).
If you want Sport+/Track/Drag modes with full manual control via the paddle shifters, flip the toggle to your desired mode and put the shifter into “S”.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Order of aggressiveness:

—Rain/Snow
—Normal (D)
—Normal (S) i.e. Sport
—Sport +
—Track
—Drag

The S mode on the shifter gives you full control of the paddles. RTFM
Doesn't it have to be in S on the shifter for Sport, SPort + Track and Drag? What is different about S and D when using Sport +

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I have a 2018 10 speed GT PP1 with MagneRide that I use for autocross. I've done a lot of comparison testing on the street between the various shifter and normal, S+, and Track drive mode combinations.

Shifter S in normal and shifter S in S+ shift about the same. Shifter S in Track mode might be slightly more aggressive than in S+. I have the analog IP so it is hard to determine what gear the transmission is in with automatic shifting but it is clear that the trans frequently will be in a lower ratio in S than in D at least somewhat independent of drive mode.

Shifter D in drive mode S+ seems to shift about the same as in Shifter S other than the addition of manual control. Shifter D in Track mode might be slightly more aggressive than in S+

I've studied the service manual and the owner manual and it doesn't appear that the T/C and ESC parameters are changed in shifter S. Neither are MagneRide settings. For those to change requires drive mode changes. T/C and ESC can be disabled in D or S and in normal, S+, and Track.

Note that everything I've seen for both the 15 - 17's and the 18 - 19 shows that drive modes change the linearity of pedal movement versus throttle opening percentage. The sporty mode simply get the throttle open faster. I don't know if they also make timing or afr more aggressive.

Note that "normal" and "comfort" steering feel are locked out in S, S+, and Track.

Per info from Ford engineering MagneRide settings change with drive modes. S+ increases overall damping compared to normal. Track is similar to S+ but with more transient control.

Hope this helps.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Does anyone drive around in drag mode?
Drag mode, imo, leaves the engine revving too high to actually drive around in for more than a short acceleration burst. Also, if you have magneride, making a turn in drag mode feels like you’re trying to turn a boat.

Doesn't it have to be in S on the shifter for Sport, SPort + Track and Drag? What is different about S and D when using Sport +
No, you do not have to have the shifter in S to change drive modes. Putting the shifter in S while in a different drive mode does not affect the way the car drives, but allows fully manual shifting (the computer doesn’t take back over unless you allow the rpms to drop too low) via the paddles.

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
New owner here, sorry if this is straight forward to everyone else.

I'm still a little confused about sport mode (S on the shifter). Does putting the shifter on S require you to use the paddles? Will the car shift on it's own in S mode other than when the rpms drop too low?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)

I'm still a little confused about sport mode (S on the shifter). Does putting the shifter on S require you to use the paddles? Will the car shift on it's own in S mode other than when the rpms drop too low?
You do not have to use the paddles when the shift lever is in sport mode. It will shift automatically both up and down but at higher rpm and more aggressively than using regular drive. It will not skip 2nd and 4th like regular drive does under light or moderate throttle. It does lock out 10th gear.

Last edited:

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The best way to learn how the 10A shifts in the various shifter shifter and drive mode options is to experiment. Also, experiment with how throttle pedal movement (amount and speed of movement) impact automatic shifting. A smooth very steady application of "squeezing" on power has very different results than more aggressive movement.

One thing to know is that if the transmission is in manual mode where the shifter is in S (no matter which drive mode) and you have made even one shift with the paddles and then "forget about it" and later come to a stop or "almost" stop the transmission will downshift to 1st or maybe 2nd and stay in that gear when you accelerate until you either shift manually or hit the rev limiter or take it out of manual mode by either holding the upshift paddle for a few seconds or move the shifter to D.

Also if you want engine braking in D you can use the paddles to downshift and as long as your foot is off the throttle pedal the transmission will hold the the lower gear. Otherwise in D it will revert to full automatic after a few seconds.

There are actually a lot of manual control options for using this automatic transmission.

NOTE: Manual upshifts are FAST . . . unless you hit the rev limiter before the shift is complete. Then they are SLOW. Heavy throttle high rev automatic shifts are also FAST, even in D and S (I don't use Drag).

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
^^^Good post!

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^Good post!
Thanks!

A little more info.

With the shifter in S you can start in either 1st or 2nd gear by using the paddles prior to "launching". This is useful in autocrosses with tight turns immediately after the start which will put the paddles out of reach. Simply start in 2nd.

Note that you cannot "preload" manual downshifts. If you attempt a manual downshift at too high a speed for the target gear you have to release the paddle and then pull it again after the car slows.

Conversely if you inadvertently hold the upshift paddle for more than 1 or 2 seconds the transmission will revert to automatic mode.

Also, be sure to manually shift using the "ends" of the paddles rather than having your fingers at the hinge end.

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks for the replies. This is definitely the best post I've read to help explain the nuances of the A10 transmission.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Per the manual they also recommend S for driving on steep gradients since it downshifts much more aggressively.

OP
OP

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
i have been playing around with the sport mode and drive mode.

my experience is that in d mode it drives like a classic older luxury muscle car and shift easier/smoother. It will also skip gears i believe.

in s mode, the shifts are aggressive and it never skips a gear. it also will rev-match on down shifts, which is cool. it will also hold gears longer and is pretty sweet.

i would say in sport mode, my a10 is just as fun as a manual, if not more fun,as i don't have to do the work of shifting with left foot and right hand.

i am still learning about the car and have just 1300 miles on Sally since I bought her back in late october.
Sponsored