PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Can anyone who is now the lucky recipient of their 2018 GT confirm if there is still a sound tube in place. I hope not.
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Can anyone who is now the lucky recipient of their 2018 GT confirm if there is still a sound tube in place. I hope not.
I'm pretty sure I saw the contraption on one of the new 2018 posts that had the engine cover removed.

It's an excuse to drink a few beers and do the easiest mod you'll ever do.

Reactions: PKs

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Just curious. Do people who spend money to make their exhaust systems louder also remove the sound tube which brings intake sound into the car?

I can understand removing it if you need better access but I have trouble understanding why so many guys don't like a tube which brings intake noise to the interior.

Dick
Old guy who likes to hear intake noise as well as exhaust noise.

abbeynormal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PPGT Magnetic
I removed the tube and still have the stock exhaust. I didn't like the hooting? noise the tube added when I got on it. Guess I'm getting old.:D

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
The tube adds a weird interior resonance to the exhaust. I didn't believe it myself until I removed it. Your exhaust sounds better without it.

Plus you engine bay/intake tube looks less busy.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I removed the tube and still have the stock exhaust. I didn't like the hooting? noise the tube added when I got on it. Guess I'm getting old.:D
My only problem with the sound is I run out of speed limit too quickly to enjoy or not enjoy the sound. ;)

Getting old beats the alternatives . . . old guy old joke.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The tube adds a weird interior resonance to the exhaust. I didn't believe it myself until I removed it. Your exhaust sounds better without it.

Plus you engine bay/intake tube looks less busy.
This.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yep, it's still there and can be seen with the engine cover off. Little more complicated to remove as you now have to also remove the strut tower brace to get the engine cover off.
2018 engine compartment.jpg

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Plus you engine bay/intake tube looks slightly less busy.
fify :D It would hard to tell the difference if you weren't familiar with the car :-)

Anyway, thanks for the info since I've been curious.

[/url][/IMG]

The engine bay of my first Mustang looked like this (pic isn't my car. It was a coupe with GT package)

[/url][/IMG]

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Yep, it's still there and can be seen with the engine cover off. Little more complicated to remove as you now have to also remove the strut tower brace to get the engine cover off.
Now I know why they made such a big cover!

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Holly hell. I’m surprised they made the hood openable by the customer at all.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Just curious. Do people who spend money to make their exhaust systems louder also remove the sound tube which brings intake sound into the car?

I can understand removing it if you need better access but I have trouble understanding why so many guys don't like a tube which brings intake noise to the interior.

Dick
Old guy who likes to hear intake noise as well as exhaust noise.
Have not moved the tube, have the Borla's on, and have never heard any intake noise into the cabin

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
The exhaust noise can cover the intake sound but try capping the sound tube at the intake and see if you enjoy the sound better. The 2 sounds can co-mingle and be either worse or better to your own ears.

Personally, I go back and forth depending on the season (colder weather=rougher exhaust sound IMO) and if my back seats are down or up.

Right now I have the sound tube connected and the seats back up and prefer the sound over seats down and sound tube capped at intake.

saltydogg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium convertible - 401A, 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I just removed it from my 2018. I haven't driven it yet to see if I can tell a difference. I did not have to remove the strut tower brace or engine cover. I used a 10mm deep socket, universal joint, and long extension. I just loosened the nut until it fell off and pulled the tube out. One of the clips holding the tube is under the strut tower brace but the hole is flexible rubber so I just stretched it around the clip head and pushed the clip all the way down to there's not a hole there. Once the tube was out I could get the plug against the firewall then used the 1/4" long extension to push the center in until it snapped in place. The whole process wasn't that bad. I used the blowfish racing plugs and reused the black Ford clamp rather than the hose clamp included in the kit. Hope this information helps someone.
Sponsored